StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the more challenging aspects of my job, is to mediate between my employer (HQ of mega-bucks company in a high-rise) and the residents of the nearby residential HOA. :headbang:

This week the problem is the noise from a couple of night-shift Harley bikers, revving their motors and blasting away at WOT under the concrete parking garage. :thumbdown:
At midnight, there are few vehicles in the garage to help deflect the roar of these big twins. So inevitably, the residents in the homes just over the wall are awakened to the Milwaukee Symphony, a few nights every week.
And it's getting old. And they are getting pissed. :furious:

Question for the Strommers:
If you had to let a fellow motorcyclist know that the noise from his pipes was waking the neighbors at midnight every time he left work,

How would you put it?
and
if you were the one making the noise, how would you respond?

My social outlook is "de-regulation through the application of common sense"
so, I am not likely to make some dumb-ass policy that would be ignored.
I guess it just irks me to know that my fellow bikers here at work are so bone-head as to purposely bother people, when you know if the shoe was on the other foot, they would be having a hissy-fit themselves.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
You could always politely let them know that a slew of their neighbors are upset and could be calling the law about the pipes. That while you don't agree how it would be a problem with the law in Arizona stating no pipes over 80db with a fine of $750. That if they were easy on the take off it probably would not be a problem.

How you wish it wouldn't escalate but how you can't reason with people being awakened from their sleep at midnight every night.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You could always politely let them know that a slew of their neighbors are upset and could be calling the law about the pipes. That while you don't agree how it would be a problem with the law in Arizona stating no pipes over 80db with a fine of $750. That if they were easy on the take off it probably would not be a problem.

How you wish it wouldn't escalate but how you can't reason with people being awakened from their sleep at midnight every night.
Three of us from work went mountain bike riding for the first time at a park with miles of groomed trails. The 2 other guys didn't wear helmets. When we stopped to ask a guy something who was working on the trail he popped off a good one. He told the 2 without helmets "You know, I ain't your momma, but you really otta wear a helmet...". The 2 guys knew better and smiled at the way he gently got on their case about their lack of helmets. Since then, we've used "I aint your momma but..." for several things. A little levity might help. Walking up to the two guys with your gear on might defuse it a little too since they might feel a little like you're one of them.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
This week the problem is the noise from a couple of night-shift Harley bikers, revving their motors and blasting away at WOT under the concrete parking garage. :thumbdown:
At midnight, there are few vehicles in the garage to help deflect the roar of these big twins. So inevitably, the residents in the homes just over the wall are awakened to the Milwaukee Symphony, a few nights every week.
Also, at the last place I worked they designated a special motorcycle parking area. If you did that and the parking spots were designated so the pipes didn't face the residential area......

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, at the last place I worked they designated a special motorcycle parking area. If you did that and the parking spots were designated so the pipes didn't face the residential area......
My first year on the job, I created the MC parking area.
It is situated behind a concrete barrier, furthest from the homes.

These guys are apparently riding out of the 'quiet zone', right past the homes, and then doing the 'loud pipes save lives' thing.
You know, in case one of the houses tries to change lanes without checking their mirrors first.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
if you were the one making the noise, how would you respond?
You gotta be kidding. I mean, you know who this is, man? This is Captain America. I'm Billy. Hey, we're headliners baby. We played every fair in this part of the country. I mean, for top dollar, too!

·
Registered
29 Posts
It hard to fix douchbaggery like that other than if you tell them that if you receive any more complaints form the neighbors the offending vehicles WILL be permanently banned from co property

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Just call the police when they do it. After a few nights the police will show up and give them tickets for excessive noise. That should get the message over pretty nicely.

Tell all the neighbors to call when it wakes them up that way there isn't just one person singled out.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Well bless your little pumpkin truck......

They only exist to be noticed that is the reason for the loud pipes

Regardless what you say, inside their inner A*hole is sayin

COOL MAN

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just call the police when they do it. After a few nights the police will show up and give them tickets for excessive noise. That should get the message over pretty nicely.

Tell all the neighbors to call when it wakes them up that way there isn't just one person singled out.
I with that were usually the case. My experience is that police just don't want to be bothered. I tried reporting loud pipes several times, but the offending bikes were long gone by the time there was any response. One cop who did show up told me he didn't know how to ticket anyone for noise! One who came by the motorcycle shop where I hang out was stunned when I asked him why they don't ticket loud pipes.

Here in Florida, almost every condo associated prohibits motorcycles. Condo boards everywhere assume all bikes are loud, or they don't want to get involved in deciding what is and is not loud. It's easier for them to just ban all bikes.

People who modify their bikes to be loud are childish and selfish and do it to call attention to themselves. They spoil the experience for the rest of us. I understand there are federal statutes against this practice, but I don't know of anyone who has ever been ticketed for noise. It will only stop when the offenders know their bikes will be ticketed and impounded, and I don't see that happening.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm with BugMagnet on this. They are grown adults and should know better (hehehe yea.. well.. should) then go WOT at midnight. Just get to the point of the problem and call the cops. The very least let the cops know its been happening so that they can be ready. I know around here they are looking to handout tickets and would jump on an easy money making opportunity like that. I'm sure one ticket will resolve the problem.

I'm not sure honestly what approaching them at midnight or any other time would do for you or the situation. I have the feeling that if they were not D-bags they would not be doing this at midnight anyway.

I think that even worse approaching them in your gear would only produce a result of "get a real bike" reply from them.

On the flip side there is a guy that drives a Harley to work at 6 am in my neighborhood and he baby's it (practically pushing it down he street) in order not to wake everyone up.

Its just common sense, and they lack it. Call Da Po Po and let them deal with it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Not sure what would work to fix the problem. But, I do know that trying to reason with them will be futile, maybe even risky. My brother was one of those "Loud pipes be cool", types. Unable or unwilling to see any other viewpoint.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I know around here they are looking to handout tickets and would jump on an easy money making opportunity like that.
I think you're a little too close to York for the constabulary to be wantonly ticketing pleather pirates astride the magnificent noise emitters built in that town.

I wouldn't worry too much about them gathering the gang and terrorizing the village, if they were 1%er's they wouldn't have gotten past HR's preliminary sniff test.

I don't think this is the best forum to get advice to deal with this type of problem. Instead, you should go to KindergartenTeacherForum.com.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It seems we've gotten away from being adults in the US. Just go ask 'em to ride the bikes out at minimum throttle since it's bothering folks.

If they act childish after that, treat them like children and use some of the suggestions here.

I would hope someone would approach me as an adult if I were doing something that annoyed others (I mean, beyond typing this post). If I'm unable to respond as an adult, I deserve whatever's next.

This really shouldn't be that hard IMO.

·
Registered
287 Posts
in any place i have ever lived there are things that the police let slide during the day but there are ordinances after 10 pm for disturbing the peace.. have the homeowners talk to the police chief and or the prosecuting atty.

·
Registered
508 Posts
It hard to fix douchbaggery like that other than if you tell them that if you receive any more complaints form the neighbors the offending vehicles WILL be permanently banned from co property
I would agree. As a business owner, I would make every effort to respect any reasonable request from my neighbors.

Individually call these people into your office and explain to them if just one more complaint comes across your desk they will be looking for another job. The animals do not run the zoo.

Calling the police on your own employees is asking someone else to be the bad guy. People would not respect you after.

OR

Move the business to the Peoples Republic of Oro Valley where police sit with windows open listening for just the opportunity to pull down bike with loud pipes.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I say take the high road first. Treat them as adults, approach them seperately while on the job and explain the problem. Ask them to be quieter leaving work and say "Thanks"

Then go back to your desk and document the conversation. If the behavior continues you have a paper trail of to present to your HR department.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Move the business to the Peoples Republic of Oro Valley where police sit with windows open listening for just the opportunity to pull down bike with loud pipes.

Huh? :confused: I've lived here the better part of 15 years and I've never seen that before.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Can't help with the bikes directly, but we had some neighbours for a while that worked shifts, noon till 8, then party until 2.

Wasn't too bad initially, but they kept getting louder and louder.

Eventually I got fed up , wheeled my speakers outside, got up early and wound up the volume just after dawn.

They came around later that day and apologized, even offered to cut back the partying. I asked them just to shut the double doors on our side of their house - problem solved.

Find some cheap but LOUD sacrificial playback device - record them one morning then hammer them with a replay of it at some time maximally inconvenient to them. :)

Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Getting the cops involved never improves anything. One of my rules to live by.

Anyway, from your posts so far, the situation is murky -- are you the employer? If so, then tell these guys to knock it off immediately or look for another job. No reason to sugar-coat it whatsoever.

If you represent the building owners, same thing -- one more complaint and we're going to your employer.

If they're contractors, one more complaint and your contract is terminated immediately pursuant to Acceptable Jobsite Behavior clause 24.b...

The behavior is employment-related, so that's where you apply pressure.

It's certainly worth trying to be nice -- once. Allow for the possibility that they are too stupid to realize that other people can hear the amplified racket even though the parking garage is empty. They may honestly think no one can hear them because they don't see anyone. Remember, you can't expect normal intelligence from these idiots.

In any cases, there's no need at all to drag larger issues politics, Loud Pipes Save Lives or The Good of Our Sport into it. Keep it simple -- no revving in the parking garage or within one mile of the building. If your badly carbureted chrome barge won't run or warm up without multiple trips to redline, drive to work.

"I ain't your momma..." really is a good conversation opener. Just basic people skills.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts