StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, currently I'm in the market in purchasing either a new or a second hand bike. I've test ridden the Tiger 800, an older Vstrom 650 ('05) and a Aprilia Pegaso Trail 650 '09. My heart was set on the Pegaso as it looked sexy and felt good riding it but unfortunately it has quite a few issues so I don't really want to be stranded somewhere, my mind tells me to go for the Vstrom but only if it's the 2012 due to the looks...

Has the Vstrom up until 2011 have any major issues? The Peg Trail I know has fuel pump and dry solder joint issues in the ignition barrel, riding wise the only niggle I had was the slight jerkiness when accelerating slowly in traffic. Obviously the vstrom 2012 might have it's own issues but hopefully the warranty for 2 years should cover teething issues.

·
Registered
522 Posts
One of most interesting things about this site, is the realization of how many DL650's are still on the road, with lots of miles, and only basic maintenance done. It is, from my research, one of the most consistently durable motorcycles on the road. I have over 60,000 miles on my 2006 ... I would have more but it shares space in the garage with other bikes ... my only repair was an impeller.

I have done nothing other than routine maintenance.

Others in here have done a lot more miles than that on their 650's.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was taken from a Pegaso site.

"Vstrom have a different issue with the fuel filter, when you need to replace it because you will feel the bike hardly moving forward you will find it cost 200 US $
and there is no aftermarket for it, for the peg you can find a filter for 80% less.

Also someone in Suzuki decided to make it more difficult for us guys that do things at home and from 2007 a ISC valve control the throttle body's and even setting the idle RPM needs a special Suzuki hardware and software to do it meaning you will go the dealer to set the idle."

I mentioned that I'm not aware of the Vstrom having issues serious enough to leave you stranded somewhere.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Also someone in Suzuki decided to make it more difficult for us guys that do things at home and from 2007 a ISC valve control the throttle body's and even setting the idle RPM needs a special Suzuki hardware and software to do it meaning you will go the dealer to set the idle."
The dealer doesn't set the idle, the ISC does. The idle is always around 1300rpm unless something goes bad or the TPS gets adjusted. In that case, replace the bad part if necessary and reset the ISC preset.

1) Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2) Remove the seat.
3) Put the bike in dealer mode. FAQ: Dealer Mode & FI Error Codes
4) Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
5) Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
6) Then, wait more than 5 seconds.
The ISC valve automatically is set at the PRE-SET position.
7) Take the bike out of dealer mode.

Idle will be at ~1300rpm again. I did get a TBS once at about 50,000 miles and the only change was the bike pulls from 2500rpm instead of 3000. The TBS is only for the idle mixture so only affects idle and just off idle. Doing a TBS without the Suzuki SDS system can be done fairly well but is really not much needed unlike older models. Throttle Body Sync for DL650(A)K7, A How To
Sure a rider can do a little less but less attention is needed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Waiting on the 2012 650 abs adventure

I saw this bike at the Dallas IMS cycle show a couple of weeks ago. I had ordered that bike from my local dealer two weeks prior to the show. At the show, the regional Suzuki rep. "Richard" said the 2012's were to be shipped to dealers soon. Today my dealer was told by Richard that Monday the bikes were to be shipped to dealers. Here's hoping. Hardy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts