StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the news that Google will be giving away their free turn by turn direction software/service with the new Verizon Droid phones Garmin and TomTom will be in big trouble. Google has plans to expand it to all Android phones in the next few months.

Their shares have already fallen 20%, expect some steep discounts in the next few months, If this trend continues to other phone operating systems I can't see them surviving for long.

I have already used my Verizon cellphone and their VZW GPS service connected to my Cardo Scala 2 via Bluetooth and it works pretty good, of course mounting and seeing the screen in daylight is an issue but newer phone screens will be clearer and mounting systems for them will be developed.

The funny thing is, in some respects Verizon is shooting themselves in the foot with this service because they will loose all the VZW software subscription revenue they receive now, for example I'm paying ten dollars a month for it.

Ron W.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
The funny thing is, in some respects Verizon is shooting themselves in the foot with this service because they will loose all the VZW software subscription revenue they receive now, for example I'm paying ten dollars a month for it.
Just wait until people start going over their monthly allotment of minutes and start paying premium fees for airtime. Or using their "GPS Phone" in areas where roaming fees apply. They'll make up any lost revenues ;)

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
A standalone GPS is way better than a phone that tries to do everything. I don't think any of the GPS makers will be in trouble with Android 2.

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For now you may be right, for example I like to plan my own routes in Mapsource and then download them to my Garmin 2610 something you can't do with a cell.

But with that being said I'm pissed about spending $70 bucks for a new map every year from Garmin. Cell phone maps are updated all the time, and with free traffic updates AND weather alerts for the route you have chosen there are many advantages. Take for example the rock slide on Route 40 here in the East a Garmin or Tom Tom would point you right to it, not cell based GPS's with traffic updates.

Ron W.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
For now you may be right, for example I like to plan my own routes in Mapsource and then download them to my Garmin 2610 something you can't do with a cell.

But with that being said I'm pissed about spending $70 bucks for a new map every year from Garmin. Cell phone maps are updated all the time, and with free traffic updates AND weather alerts for the route you have chosen there are many advantages. Take for example the rock slide on Route 40 here in the East a Garmin or Tom Tom would point you right to it, not cell based GPS's with traffic updates.

Ron W.
I'll take the $70 a year for map updates over the monthly cell fees.

I prolly will buy an Android 2 phone, but the purpose won't be for GPS use. I can see myself checking out the GPS features from time to time, but the real purpose is mobile email.

What I'd rather see is for Garmin to build an Android product. I sold my iPhone a few weeks ago. It sucks as a phone and it sucks as an iPod. It was slow as hell as a network device (3G second gen) and I don't expect the CDMA networks (Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular) to be any better.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
A standalone GPS is way better than a phone that tries to do everything. I don't think any of the GPS makers will be in trouble with Android 2.
An excellent point. Like many things in life, when an electronic device tries to do everything, it does nothing very well. I have a phone for calls, a camera for photography, a GPS for navigation, and a computer for...computing.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I don't see these phones killing the stand-alone GPS. However, they might force Garmin, Tom Tom, etc... to be more competitive with services like the map updates and weather/traffic services. That is something to look forward to.

·
Registered
370 Posts
An excellent poing. Like many things in life, when an electronic device tries to do everything, it does nothing very well. I have a phone for calls, a camera for photography, a GPS for navigation, and a computer for...computing.
I agree.

Is the Droid waterproof and UV resistant?

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Air time isn't as bad as you would think, your only charged for the actual time the route is downloaded to your phone (probably less than a minute of air time) and from then on, you only make connection again if you go off route, receive traffic/weather updates, again another minute or less.

I have not seen ANY increase in minutes when I have used the Verizon VXW software heavily for directional info on trips.

KM...your right but I don't walk around with a standalone camera, GPS, computer and a cell phone 24/7...For ME, a 5 meg cellphone camera with HD video, Cell GPS, web email, small window for web browsing is perfectly acceptable for 90% of MY day to day use.

Ron W.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The problem with all the smaller GPS programs on smart phones is that they need to constantly update map data. Google maps, etc. If you are out of a coverage area then your map screen is blank. I use my iPhone in metro areas, but on the road and in out of the way places, where we all like to ride, my low end map software is useless. I do have Navigons product, 1.2 GB, that includes maps for the entire US, but I find it annoying. I don't think that it a good purchase. I should have saved my money for a Nuvi or similar product.

Right now I rely on my GPSmapper 60csx for navigation outside of the main cell coverage areas. Of course I use AT&T. High speed networks on Verizon Or Sprint might have better coverage, making their software more useful.

BTW, I have used 4 GPS products on the iPhone and find that MotionX's GPSdrive to be the best as well as being the cheapest. It uses maps from Bing!.

5 programs if you include the native Google Maps app.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
KM...your right but I don't walk around with a standalone camera, GPS, computer and a cell phone 24/7...For ME, a 5 meg cellphone camera with HD video, Cell GPS, web email, small window for web browsing is perfectly acceptable for 90% of MY day to day use.

Ron W.
Me neither, but then again, I don't take photos on a daily basis, likewise need a GPS. The computer is 24X7 I'm afraid.

I guess I'm boring...

·
Registered
49 Posts
But with that being said I'm pissed about spending $70 bucks for a new map every year

I got a lifelong update for 120$. It allow me 4 update a year for the life of the gps. With all the infrastructure work being done around here it was worth it.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/maps/numaps-lifetime

most of the time my gps is in my top box, I take it out only when I want to find a specific place. Otherwise getting lost and finding new roads to ride is the best part of adventure touring.

I always enjoyed the journey over the destination.

Lamipro

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
having accurate maps would destroy part of my adventure riding experience.
I dunno - I prefer knowing where I am.

Even better, being able to tell if an inviting looking road ends 1/2 mile from the turnoff, so you don't go down the road and discover there are BIG dogs living at the last house before the end of the dead-end road. Then, after you turn around, you have to deal with them, again, on the way back. That was fun. :yikes: :thumbdown:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
So is a standalone camera, so is a standalone computer, so is a standalone compass, so is a standalone video camera, so is a standalone pocket calculator, so is a standalone MP3 player.............................

·
Registered
293 Posts
To each his own

I have a GPS for the bike, one for the car and an IPhone for me. The phone is priceless for my day to day business needs and I like the limited mapping to find a coffee shop or for on foot directions in an unfamiliar place. The one for the car is actually in the glove box with my wife usually for back up. The one on the bike is great for finding things, generally tracking progress and getting UN-Lost. I have tried the routing thing but find more enjoyment just setting loose goals and parameters and backing that up with the GPS. I do not mind a controlled "wonder where I am moment" when I ride. Helps with the decompression if you know what I mean. The all in one concept is great, but you will always have to compromise. If truth be told, I think I am alittle TOO connected these days. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
77 Posts
This weekend I wnt on a 5.5 car drive using my iPhone 3g as my only gps device. It was plugged into the car's power port the entire time. Everything was working great until about 4 hours into the trip it was at this time that my phone ran out of power. The charging function just does not seem great enough for extended trips. I was using a program that constantly updates the map over the cellular network. The constant data exchange, constant screen and gps activation is just too great for the charging capability of the phone.

I had originally wanted to use the iPhone as my primary gps device. I like the 3d view and voice prompts, my gpsmap 60csx does not have these features. Obviously, the iPhone won't work for long trips or multiday excursions eventhough I have installed power ports on my Wee.

It looks likeni am going to have to get either a garmin or TomTom unit. The TomTom Rider is cheaper, but the garmin units have more options. $600 plus a chatterbox unit is a bit steep though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts