StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm feeling the need to spend some money. :mrgreen:

got a full face helmet now, my rather prominent (strong :confused:) jaw presents a problem in normal road helmets. the end of my chin hits the chin bar. also with hot summer weather coming round the bend and my general claustrophobia, a little more space would be nice.

i don't ride on slab very often, lucky enough to live minutes from some of the best hill-riding in northern cali. so i'm not to worried about visor lift.

i've looked at the arai xd's... but at $400+ i'm not convinced. besides they don't offer colors i want ... i believe bright helmets save lives!

so my attention has been drawn to mx helmets. super comfortable, huge EYEPORT, lots of fresh air, ample space for my big jowels, and way cheaper than the XD even with goggle purchase for a snell/dot bucket.... and plenty of bright colors and cool graphics.

so questions are:

1) would i look like an idiot on my V?

2) anyone wearing an mx helmet now with comments?

3) the scorpion evo vx-14 fits great on me. anyone heard anything good or bad about scorpions?

4) if scorpion ain't any good, what brands have a good rep?

5) any tips on goggles?

6) why don't i see more guys on standards, adventure, supermoto, and hooligan bikes where mx helmets?

thanks.

·
Registered
725 Posts
so questions are:

1) would i look like an idiot on my V?
No, not an idiot. More of a dork. :)

2) anyone wearing an mx helmet now with comments?
I have an HJC AC-X3 that doubles as my summer commuter helmet. The main drawbacks to the mx helmet on the street isn't lift so much as turbulence, and they're very LOUD. I find that with the peak in the lowest position, turbulence isn't a problem below 65 mph or so. With earplugs in and the peak removed, it's tolerable for short freeway stints. I wouldn't want to spend all day on the freeway with it, but it's nice for around-town riding.

3) the scorpion evo vx-14 fits great on me. anyone heard anything good or bad about scorpions?

4) if scorpion ain't any good, what brands have a good rep?
I haven't tried the Scorpion, so I can't help you here. I'm happy with my HJC, though.

5) any tips on goggles?
Avoid Smith brand goggles, their lenses are crap. I found their light-sensitive lens isn't, and the tint from their Sol-X lens bleeds off (which their warranty department doesn't consider a defect).

6) why don't i see more guys on standards, adventure, supermoto, and hooligan bikes where mx helmets?
Probably they don't want to look like dorks. :) Actually, I've seen supermoto riders with mx helmets, and the XD is popular among the adventure crowd.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My XD is actually quiter than my Scorpion EXO-400. JFTR tho....I wear earplugs . There isn't a cooler lookin helmet in the world than an XD. My .02.
i like the arai alot.... great concept... faceshield + mx peak + mx chinbar!!! but no bright colors and the yellow challenge is over $500. also, the reviews on line claim that there is alot of whistling from the fron air inlets. also, remember my Leno-esque jaw!!! the XD provides more room than a road helmet, but no where near as luxurious as some of the straight mx's.

i just don't know if googles and an open eyeport are the ticket for me... otherwise i'll probably go for the XD... motard silver with some bright stickers (?)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I really want to be seen...I wear my yellow Shoei RF-1000. That's kind of a counter statement isn't it? I always want to be seen but regardless of what helmet I'm wearing, I've had numerous cagers pull out in front of me like I didn't even exist.
axis yellow. isn't it? or is that the arai color... :rolleyes: maybe you're right xd may be the way to go... but the mx helmet and goggles look pretty cool.

dunno. for a $100-130 a scorpion mx is almost disposable.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
I have a kind of lower priced full face. I can't even remember the brand right now. I did stick on one of those "rumble strips" and noticed a distinct reduction in helmet buffeting.

·
Registered
888 Posts
You bought a Strom and you're worried about what you look like? Oh.......maybe yours is black too!:D

·
Registered
279 Posts
Have you checked out www.helmetharbor.com? They have a lot of information about the various helmets they sell. May help you with your search.

·
Registered
852 Posts
First of all, the eyeport, while big, does nothing to increase your peripheral vision when wearing a pair of goggles on your eyes! That cuts down your ability to see to the side.

I've worn an MX helmet on the street before. They're loud, your face feels everything and your vision is limited. While they might look (enter your choice of descriptor here) they are not for the street.

HJC makes a nice helmet, also available in the high visibility color of yellow, with the model number CL-SP. I ride with one of those and find it to provide chin room, visibility and quite a bit of quiet.

Just my 2¢!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Beside the postings here about noise and vision, I feel they DO have a place in the life of the adventurer Strommer. Many times when just running dirt roads or fire roads open to public travel during hunting season the off raod helmet is a welcome break from a full face Nolan with headsets. They are particularly nice when standing on the pegs and you get better ventalation. They also tend to be cheaper in you take a tumble IMHO.
After destoying my Bell Moto 5 in a pavement highside incident last fall, its time for me to pick up another. Look for one with removable lining for cleaning, and a visor with metal screws on the ends. For cooler weather put a piece of duct tape over the chin vent so you keep the chill off ya. And wear ear plugs to help cut down on the noise.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
i'm pretty sure those big visors would catch lots of air at highway speeds. not sure i'd like that. if you are going offroad it's not a problem, but there are reasons people wear street helmets on the street ...

·
Registered
334 Posts
until the strom i'd never ridden a street bike. so all of my helmets were offroad helmets.

you won't look like a dork, especially if you're bombing down dirt roads.
keep in mind that the huge eyeport is negated if you wear goggles. offroad goggles limit your peripheral vision significantly. many of the guys who run the dual sport routes won't run goggles because of this.

i rode my offroad helmet for a few rides and noticed a great deal of noise and significant amount of lift and shudder with it. it was not comfortable at all at 55 plus.

again, if you're dirt roading it, you'll likely not notice it.

i have an AGV dirt helmet and an AXO (that are still usable) and both are great helmets. i use ProGrip goggles with the auto-shade lens and it's absolutely great. the ProGrip goggles are comfortable, flexible, and not too expensive.

i suspect the reason you don't see more people running offroad helmets is the shudder and lift i mentioned previously. i keep my old AXO helmet in the garage and i will use it to run down the shops, other than that i prefer the road helmet much better.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
The goggles I used to wear skydiving were horse racing goggles. If you go to a racetrack tack shop you may be able to find a pair. If you have a decent size skydive center nearby you may also be able to find them there. They used to come in both clear and tinted. No problem with periferal vision. They have little vents to help stop fogging. Not sure about noise because, well, at 120 MPH there is noise.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use my dirt bike helmet for my dirt bike and my street helmet for the Strom. I rode my DR650 with my dirt bike helmet for a time and got tired of the noise, wind, and my head getting moved around from all the air being caught under it on the freeway.

·
StromTrooper.com Founder
11,285 Posts
I have an XD (both the Arai and a Land Rover).
I won't go into to many details (because my stromtrooper time tonight is being sucked up by pm's and e-mails about "lost passwords, changed usernames "such and such member" sucks, etc). I feel better now. :)

Here is my take. If you can afford it, and you like the style, and you have another full face "regular style" helmet that is in good shape, buy the XD.
Otherwise, don't.

It looks cool, has incredible periphrial vision, moves around at high speeds, can make your neck sore, blocks the sunlight better than a standard full face lid, quite with earplugs, looks cool, has good airflow when needed, looks good, decent in the rain, expensive so when you show up to a Stromtrooper ride everyone goes, "Neat helmet". ;)

Plus, I have one and if you want to be like me, its a small step in obtaining your goal.

MX helmets are not designed for street use. I used to wear MX style lids until I bought the XD. Now, my dirt bike lids are worn while riding.........drum roll please.........my dirt bikes.

Off to manage the site.
B.K.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
What Hoboucha said.

I have the Arai XD too, and really like it. Got it with idea of wearing goggles with it but really haven't and use the flip up shield almost all the time now.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Same as some of the others. Rode a DR650 with my MX. I used a pair of tinted safety glasses instead of goggles. I still do at the dunes on my Z-400. Anything over 55mph, it feels like it's gonna lift off my head. Bought a street helmet and then bought the Strom.

Dann

Have a nice day, unless you planned otherwise...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts