StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Pssssst........You are suppose to ride on the round parts of your bike. Nice report. I would like to do this next year.

·
Registered
503 Posts
did you guys need any of those blasted "Discovery (tax) passes" for any of the roads? If not, I'm in! Maybe late September??? anyone??? I would be for doing it from the north to the south.

·
Registered
234 Posts
did you guys need any of those blasted "Discovery (tax) passes" for any of the roads? If not, I'm in! Maybe late September??? anyone??? I would be for doing it from the north to the south.

Ya, actually, I might be able to swing that in late Sept... what dates where you thinking?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I gambled and didn't buy one. I won. Good luck:mrgreen:

·
Registered
300 Posts
WABDR Camping?

When you guys did the WABDR, did you camp? If so, did it get cold at night?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, we camped. I don't think it was that cold. I think the lowest it got was high forties at Lion Rock. If you have at least a 40 degree bag, you should be fine.
Half the group opted to hotel it on the second night, not because of cold but because I think Bethel Ridge kicked their ass and they were ready for a nice shower and bed.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hot Showers?

Speaking of showers............. Usually on bike rides we camp as often as possible. But we do look for camping near a lake or a river to bath in. Were there places to camp near water? I'd prefer to camp out in the wild away from organized campgrounds, it's just more fun. I know that mountian rivers are pretty cold, but that's part of the alure for me.

·
Registered
503 Posts
GPS or maps?

Did you guys have maps or use the GPS download? I'm planning on doing this next summer, May work my way down from the north end and end up at the Strom rally! I downloaded the GPS files but I'm a total noob when it come to getting that stuff on the Nuvi. I would like to have a backup on paper too!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Did you guys have maps or use the GPS download? I'm planning on doing this next summer, May work my way down from the north end and end up at the Strom rally! I downloaded the GPS files but I'm a total noob when it come to getting that stuff on the Nuvi. I would like to have a backup on paper too!

Thanks!

Keep me posted as to when you plan to do this. If I have the time I would like to tag along. If your up to having company.

·
Registered
503 Posts
For sure the more the merrier, maybe HB will want to join us!! Haven't heard much out of him lately.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks!
Yep, I think most of us had both. At camp the day before the next days ride we would use the paper maps to plan out where we would meet for lunch and where we would camp the next night. Both were very handy to have.

I would love to do this again, but I would like to try it on something lighter and more dirt friendly. I went down several times mainly because of the combo between my bikes ability and my inexperience of off roading. I feel that if i had rode dirt bikes for several years or I had been on a "true dual-sport", I would have had a much easier time.

But don't get me wrong, I had a blast on my wee and don't regret taking it, even if I had to peice it back together when I got home.

If you dont like scratches, then DO NOT take the Strom.
A good solid skid plate is a must and a lift kit would be nice. Better suspension would be good also. I ran Shinko's and thought they did great. If I had the money, probably would have tried TKC's.

You say the more the merrier. I would try to keep it down to no more than six. With different riding abilities, it is a challenge to keep everyone together. Our two main groups were consistantly about an hour to an hour and a half apart everyday by lunch and by the time we got to camp, not to mention the ones that got lost in between. I think four riders with very similar abilities would be ideal.

Wow, I let this get away from the question:mrgreen: Anyways I hope this helps with planning an awesome ride.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Thanks for the info, which section would you say is the most technical? and how many miles a day would you say is reasonable? with stops for photos and such. I don't mind sketchy Jeep trails, but I don't really want to push brush down a game trail, at least not very far! and your right about the group size, I think we would break up into groups of 2-3 and stagger our start times. And depending on the dust situation I like to spread out and ride out of the dust from the lead riders, with the lead riders waiting at major intersections until they get a line of site of following riders. Your right it is hard to keep a big group together for the whole day and we would have to have a realistic time frame per day to make it enjoyable for all.

Did you guys rely on GPS? or maps?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yep, I think most of us had both. At camp the day before the next days ride we would use the paper maps to plan out where we would meet for lunch and where we would camp the next night. Both were very handy to have.
oops A.D.D moment on my part! thanks for the info!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most of the route is pretty easy. The toughest part is in Section 2 from hwy 410 to Ellensburg. Very rocky steep sections with babyhead size rocks. From the reports Ive read, a lot of people dump it in this section. half of our group actually skipped this section because this is where we spent two hours in Nile at a local machine shop making repairs(brake pedals, mirrors, blinkers, welds) from the Bethell Ridge section. Here are some pics and a report on the rocky stuff from a different party. go to post 539 Washington Back Country Discovery Route - Page 36 - ADVrider

I think four days is pretty good pace with taking pics and stopping for lunch. Five days would be a bit more relaxed pace. Six would be just plain leisurely. We finished the route on day five and I made it home by eight that night taking the Canada route home. We could have done it in four but decided to relax in Conconully for the afternoon.
We ranged from 100 miles to 160 miles a day with kick stands up usually by 8am. Some sections are faster and you just get in a groove and don't want to stop because its just so much damn fun:yesnod:.

If you have two very different pace groups, the lead group is not going to want to keep stopping and waiting for the tail group. Within our group, we were never more than a few minutes apart and most of the time right on each others ass.

I did the opposite of what your going to do. I did the Rally in the Gorge and then the WABDR back to back. I was tired and ready to go home. I almost didn't do the last section because my bike and body were beat. I'm glad I did.

Who knows, I may want to join you guys. Bike and I are still recovering:green_lol:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Dark Shadow, Thanks for the pics!!!! I am trying to convince my dad and brother to join me this July on this ride. It should be fun for a bunch of rookies!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts