StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting this thread up as a place to respond to my thread on the yahoo groups board regarding their current situation. I have pasted the message below if you want to be in-the-loop without having to try to read it in-between the Friskies and Personal ads.

In a nutshell, I don't want to see them go through what they did before. The information there (there is some, you just have to find it) is very valuable to all of us. I have offered to put some of it over here.

Anyway, here is the message and please reply to this thread your thoughts.

I sincerely want to make this a great site for all of us and I do not want to see them dissapate again.

Brendan

Howboucha fellow V-Strom owners (and stromtroopers)

I must start off by saying "Wow!". It looks like there is an opportunity to
form yahoogroups V-Strom3.

Here is my suggestion. Don't do it!

You guys have too much valuable information here to trash it again. I don't
have time to read the yahoo format but I thought I should take a peek since there was some discussion about stromtrooper.com that was brought to my attention.

So here are my thoughts.

First: Dan I won't tell you to go to hell because I am not that way. :) (and
you have put too much work into your site for anyone to criticise you)
Second: Don't move it to another format, you will just confuse more people
and make it diffucult for thost that are researching the V-Strom to find what they need.

I understand that there is some concern about my motive. To all conspiracy theorists out there. "I have no motive" other than to provide a good source of information for the V-Strom and a forum for V-Strom owners (and prospectives) to communicate. That is it. I will admit that I love seeing new members and posts on the board. It's an ego thing. :)

Stromtrooper.com is not a corporation and is not going broke or at risk of
shutting down. (yahoo and delphi could do that any day, trust me I know)

You will notice that there are no ads and the board-format is easy to use.

It is that way because I am funding it 100% out of my pocket and my web skills are basic. I designed the site with me in mind. Easy to use, no gimmicks.

I have a few days off, and I will be having many free hours after November 1.

Here is what I will offer.

I have 300 mb of space that I can dedicate to Stromtrooper.com I can transfer and post any files on this site that you feel is valuable and put it in an easy to use format. To apease the situtation and help keep your group together, I will dedicate at least 2 hours each day until necessary to get this project done.

Don't let your group fall apart again.

If you want me to partner with you and help save all of the valuable
information you have posted here, please let me know either by a thread on Stromtrooper.com or by e-mail [email protected]

I will not take anything without permission.

Keep two wheeling,
Brendan Kearns

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't want the Strom community segmented either but the format on those Yahoo groups just sucks, bottom line. A forum method is much easier to find info IMO. Whether it's here, on Kent's Delphi site or a new site a forum is the better choice.

On a side note Brendan. If the Yahoo group migrated here could you support the bandwidth? I am sure it will come at some cost.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howboucha Meatsac!
I just checked out the Delphi site. I like it, but could do without the ads. And why are they saying you can have a "plus" version and pay for it through paypal? Any insight?

I am going to check on the uploading pictures directly thing that the Delphi site has. I may be able to do it here.

About the bandwidth, no issue. While there is a number that says over 1000 members, when I check the Vstrom2 site, it seems as if only less than 10 are posting anything.

The company that hosts this site has a nice package that will support our needs. And of course no ads.

Off to do some work for the day, maybe even go for a ride.
Talk to all of you later,
Brendan

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They have some very knowledgeable people on the Yahoo site. Too bad the format’s so crappy.
I still check it out, but there are only a few of them whose opinion I care to read or comment on.

I do know that some don’t like the negative connotation that Stromtrooper has (in their mind).
I like the name but I’m not the sensitive type.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just left the VStrom2 crowd ........

to come here!

I'm a newbie, having had my bike for just a month so far.

What put me away from that site was literally dozens of daily e-mails about very little subject matter, and also some serious personality clashes seem to be happening there.
Also as far as the Stromtrooper name goes, and having a German girlfriend, I /we prefer Strommers! just a bit less controversial!

This is a much better site than VS2 in my very humble opinion ...........

regards

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There certainly are some folks on Yahoo that know their stuff about the Strom, too bad you have to wade through to much B.S to get to it.

btw - I opted not to have emails sent to me and just read the website, glad I did!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RE

I prefer this format by far, (it's so much easier to use and navigate) and just recently asked why the the yahooers don't come over here. I didn't mean to open (reopen?) a can of worms but between the three sites there may be 1750 members, so why not come together in one community like the SV650 and Bandit owners do? My two cents.

An aside: Why is this post so wide?

-cos

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My picture made it wide.
I deleted it so now it's not so wide. :mrgreen:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Yahoo format was outgrown quite a while ago but you are always going to have some hardcore listserve types so it will continue to serve a purpose. Delphi is O.K. if you subscribe for the premium service level, no ads and ability to post pictures and graphics. Problem with Delphi is the base for motorcycles is really cruiser based so it is harder to find new riders unless they are coming off a cruiser. I actually prefer Delphi but that is because I visit quite a few Delphi forums. This is probably the best format but you are going to have to give it time to get traction.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RE

Jetboy,

Man, :shock: that is one damn nice collection of bikes you've asmassed. How does the smoothness of the Strom's V-twin engine and low end torque compare to some of your other scoots?

-cos

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: RE

cos said:
Jetboy,

Man, :shock: that is one damn nice collection of bikes you've asmassed. How does the smoothness of the Strom's V-twin engine and low end torque compare to some of your other scoots?

-cos
Cos, The Strom excels in tight twisties due to the twin's powerband and handling and in long distance riding due to the ergonomics. The XX and FJR throttles are more like rheostats than throttles. The XX is refined to the point of being bland. 160 on that feels like 80 and it doesn't turn all that well in tight stuff. The FJR corners much better than the XX and has some personality. It has less vibration than the Strom but is higher frequency so you will notice it sooner. The RR is so light and flickable it is like an extension of your body. I've done a 1,000 mile day on it but it is not very utilitarian. The Street Moto has more vibration than the Strom but once again it's extremely light weight makes it fun. The 2X4 for a seat does not. Fun bike and better in soft stuff than the Strom. Each has an advantage but if I could only have one it would be the Strom.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'll chime in. I much prefer this forum format (been using them for years) over the Yahoo! group setup. So much that I only hit the Yahoo! group once or twice a week, and I hit this daily.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Preference

I vote for this format. We were discussing it at the TWO meet and I think most prefer this format but I guess people are slow to change.

I just joined myself. :oops:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Brendan
No sucking up here because I have only been here one day.
I think your site is awesome and easy to use.
I tried the Yahoo site but too much trouble for a computer nerd like myself.
I am saving my sucking up for my wife and soon she will let my balls out of her purse and I can buy a new Strom with some luck.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm a newbie here, but I've been using this format at AZBusas, and LABusas for some time. It's very easy to use, and read.

The main reason I never joined the Yahoo group is that its such a PITA. I would look over there from time to time, but generally ended up frustrated when trying to research information.

This format is much easier to get along with.

My $.02.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts