StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... I have finally decided to do something about the windshield problem.

I have not read much on the 4th position in awhile. Has everyone forgot about that or has it been proven to not help with the buffeting?, or where there other issues with raising it all the way up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
FERGIE said:
OK... I have finally decided to do something about the windshield problem.

I have not read much on the 4th position in awhile. Has everyone forgot about that or has it been proven to not help with the buffeting?, or where there other issues with raising it all the way up?
hi fergie
i have my windshield as high as it will go. there are three holes showing and i have only two screws holding it on. i am 6'2" tall with a 32 inch inseam. it works way better then any of the other positions. no more blast of wind in the face, no more buffeting and it is very much quieter. it is not unstable as i thought it would be. it does move a little at higher speeds but does not bother anything. however it is not the answer. it looks really stupid up there and there is a large gap between the screen and the cowling. next thing i am going to do just to see if it makes any difference is stuff a towel in the gap. it at least makes the bike rideable now untill i can decide on which screen i want to buy. i did a 330 mile ride last saturday and it was very plesant. except for the seat. but that is another story. go ahead and try it. you have nothing to loose. it sure surprised me.

Kaos :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
I tried it at that position with no luck,just as bad as any other position :( . Ive now tried all the positions,spaced with washers top to steepen angle, bottom to lessen angle, infilled the gap, you name I tried it, some of these made some inprovement but nothing was overly affective :cry: .I'm now waiting on a MRA vario-touring screen to arrive and sure hope it's worth the $250 its setting me back and not just a fancy failure same as the stock.
On the same token just because nothing I did solved my problem doesnt mean dont try it,diferent rider heights, rideing positions,helmet types and umpdeen other things make different results for different riders
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kaptain_Kaos wrote:
it at least makes the bike rideable now untill i can decide on which screen i want to buy.
That is the other thing I am in the middle of also.
I've looked at the GIVI, CEE BAILEY and the one SUZUKI has out now.

Have not seen a good picture of the GIVI. It looks like it is too wide ( do the mirrors clear the sides ). I read some where last night that they have a new one coming out soon, but no pictures.

Only picture of the Suzuki one I have seen is on there site, can't tell much either.

I'm just not sure of the Baileys, they seem almost too tall...and twice the price of the others.

Aussie Stromer 1039 wrote:
now waiting on a MRA vario-touring screen to arrive and sure hope it's worth the $250 its setting me back
I have looked at these also. Again can't tell much from the pictures. The ones I have seen looks like you would be looking through both the lip and windshield.
Let us know how this works out.

I have talked myself into going with the Suzuki centerstand I might order the Suzuki shield at the same time!!!
I'll let ya know.

Thanks for the input..

KF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kaptain_Kaos said:
it works way better then any of the other positions. no more blast of wind in the face, no more buffeting and it is very much quieter. it is not unstable as i thought it would be. it does move a little at higher speeds but does not bother anything. however it is not the answer. it looks really stupid up there and there is a large gap between the screen and the cowling. next thing i am going to do just to see if it makes any difference is stuff a towel in the gap.
Kaos
Kaptain,

I tried this last night, moved it up and stuffed a towel in the gap.
WOW, what a huge difference. I'm 6'1" 35" inseam, even my wife (on the back) could tell how much better it was. She said she was wondering why I was going so slow on the access road, she peaked over my shoulder and was really surprised to see we were doing 70.
The bad air hits right on top and just to the sides of my helmet.

I think a screen that is just a little wider is going to solve the problem.
I did find another pic of the suzuki screen, it does not look as goofy as the pic on the suzuki site. I'm going in to order it today!!

KF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
did anyone get that micaspeak link to work? I'd like to read up on that but it appears gone

to the orig poster: the Givi is not too wide at all. its not wide, in fact. its the stock screen expanded a bit, same shape, same issues except less severe. The Givi is almost 22" tall, so in the tiptop position you're looking through it. In the tiptop position with it spaced to stand up straighter [less rake] it does OK, not great. better than stock, but not great.

I really think that the right fix, when it finally comes, is going to be quite wide at the bottom and meant to be set ALL THE WAY DOWN, very low at the bottom, which means it has to taper off and be narrow to the north. There has to be better integration at the bottom-most end, as some have discovered by re-drilling their stocker to fit even lower. i did an experiment by clamping a memphis shades WIDE cruiser windshield onto my givi. The Memphis is as wide at the bottom as at the top. Worked like a charm, til it shook loose from the clamps.

The Vario appears to be pretty broad at the bottom.... it might work but I doubt it.

Z
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Changing the Rake Angle

The Rake angle is the culprit - bad aerodynamics! I moved my stock DL650 shield up 1 hole from the factory position & added a 3/4" spacer under the bottom H-Bracket (use a thick rubber washer between the spacer and the H-bracket). I blocked the airflow under the H-bracket with heavy foam rubber pad. I used PC800 windshied bosses when inserting longer bolts through the H-Bracket holes to keep from damaging the plastic (different angle when raked). Thighten the top bracket first - then the lower. Makes a big difference on the airflow - no more buffeting!
The bottom of the shield has a 2" gap. This may not work if you raise the shield too high - the mirrors may make contact in tight turns with the top of the shield. The stock shield moved up 1 hole - works very well.

Someone out there with a fab shop should make an adjustable
H-bracket to allow different rakes - plus incorporate a worm gear to
raise and lower the shield as needed.
Tom

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mcmann87/detail?.dir=1760&.dnm=ae2e.jpg&.src=ph
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
mcmann
so if I follow it right, the airflow in your case should be in your chin, but smooth. is that the case?

z
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
The wind is directed over my head - I do get some wind noise - but I do not feel wind hitting my helmet. I only blocked the wind coming under the H-bracket. There is much more air coming over the top of H-bracket and the sides of the stock shield to counter the air coming over the shield.

The bike defintely handles better with better air flow than the stock position.
Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just did another ride today. Wind gusts were up around 30 mph.
ZAPP, sense you are just down the road, you know how it was today.
I now have the windshield yoke with 2 holes showing, stuffed a towel in the center of the opening between the yoke and the shield.
As I was heading home, doing 70 down hunter rd. into the wind, I was getting pushed around by the wind a bit but, no buffeting, I was able to keep my helmet faceshield open almost halfway with no problem.

I'm 6'1" 35" inseam, the bad air hits me just at the top of the helmet and a few inches to each side. This setup works good for me and only cost 4 bucks for the towel ( wife would not let me steal one from the house ).
A new windshield would cost you between $80 and $200.

I would suggest trying this before you buy a new shield or start engineering new mounts to see if it works to your individual satisfaction.

ZAPP, on a different subject, Do you ever stop by Riley's?

KF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
FERGIE said:
Kaptain_Kaos said:
it works way better then any of the other positions. no more blast of wind in the face, no more buffeting and it is very much quieter. it is not unstable as i thought it would be. it does move a little at higher speeds but does not bother anything. however it is not the answer. it looks really stupid up there and there is a large gap between the screen and the cowling. next thing i am going to do just to see if it makes any difference is stuff a towel in the gap.
Kaos
Kaptain,

I tried this last night, moved it up and stuffed a towel in the gap.
WOW, what a huge difference. I'm 6'1" 35" inseam, even my wife (on the back) could tell how much better it was. She said she was wondering why I was going so slow on the access road, she peaked over my shoulder and was really surprised to see we were doing 70.
The bad air hits right on top and just to the sides of my helmet.

I think a screen that is just a little wider is going to solve the problem.
I did find another pic of the suzuki screen, it does not look as goofy as the pic on the suzuki site. I'm going in to order it today!!

KF
hi fergie
glad it worked for you at least a little anyway. i agree, the screen needs to be wider, taller and closer to the rider. i may try a manta as it is wider and taller. i'd like to see someone make a screen that mounts like the stock one and sweeps back just over the top of the cowling and slant back and up. on my goldwing i am no where near as far away from the screen.

Kaos
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Greetings Ferg~

we need to link up. I live just off Hoffman lane, which is just off Hunter, closer to the Gruene end.

man, yesterday permanently convinced me NOT to ride two-up on a windy day on this light, tall bike!! no way. I was fighting like mad to keep in a lane..... any lane. Yep, yesterday the Hog riders ruled the roadway... low, fat, heavy as lead. made me wish I still had my roadstar in the garage

We should swap out. You would be interested in how the Givi performs the way I set it up. There's a pony in this pile somewhere, and I think it has to do with some broad width sitting way down, like almost to the headlamps

Z
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top