StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some descent protection in an all purpose jacket that fits me & my Strom. Would be great if Suzuki would license a Vstrom logo & jacket that met the needs of the riders. Could get the design data from this site with a little coaxing I'm sure.

·
Registered
197 Posts
vstrom touring jacket

Lots of people (myself included) who ride KLRs, V-Stroms, and other adventure tourers prefer the Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket. It's a full-length, belted jacket like the old Belstaff waxed cotton jackets, offering more coverage than short jackets. It has lots of vents that can be opened up for hot weather, yet is waterproof when zipped up. It also has a very warm liner jacket that can be worm by itself as a regular non-motorcycle jacket. That's a handy touring feature. I'm on my second one now. Not as cool as an all-mesh jacket in the summer, but as close to an all-season jacket as you can get. Also, you can put a Camelbak in the back pocket in place of the pad; there's a grommet in the front for the water tube. I got mine online from motorcycle-superstore.com.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
How old are the Kilimanjaro that you are replacing and why are you repacing them. They certinaly seem a great jacket.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had a Kilimanjaro, then went with an Olympia AST. Like it better. I go for Hi-Viz YELLER! And the Olympia's is much brighter.

·
Registered
197 Posts
re:touring jackets

How old are the Kilimanjaro that you are replacing and why are you repacing them. They certinaly seem a great jacket.
I replaced one that was two years old, simply because I decide to get the high-viz color. People seems to notice me more. They also improved a few things, such as the liner jacket. I kept the old one in case I do some off-road riding where I'm more likely to fall off and scratch it up.

·
Registered
875 Posts
There are lots of quality sport touring jackets out there. I personally prefer Firstgear. BMW makes some high quality stuff as well. There isn't any need for licensed v-strom clothing, we leave that kind of stuff to the HD guys.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Vstrom touring jacket

The next mod I want to make is to replace the CE armor in both my jacket and my pants with the new stuff that stays flexible until impact, then it stiffens. One brand is called d30 molecular armor. Is that practical? Is it affordable? Has anyone tried it? I hate to throw away perfectly good riding gear, but would like more comfort, particularly in the kneepad area, as well as enhanced protection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How warm of temperatures can you wear the Kilimanjaro in? I really love the way the jacket looks, but I'm in South Bama and we don't really have much of a winter.

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Only have D30 on my new First Gear gauntlets...pretty pleased with them. Waterproof, D30 armor and warm.

Kid and I have Scot Distinct2 4 season jackets. Completely waterproof, excellent pockets

Gortex and Sastec for the armor
https://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/technology/motosports/SAS-TEC/;jsessionid=E7B469BA2921FEFB4C3596A4286FB825

We used them for the cross country trip last year and no complaints at all.

Kid is selling his as he's lost a lot of weight but mine is my go to for distance so someone is in for a deal.

Only complaint...not as vented as 3 season jackets are so over 85 or so ....it's hot in it. Usually switch to armored shirt then.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I go to mesh or convertible jackets when the day time high hits 85 degrees. I wear a Killi in black during the winter here in Alabama. In colder temps I have a Tourmaster heated jacket underneath it. First Gear makes good touring jackets in tall sizes, amazingly water resistant too. I don't carry rain gear when wearing mine, but it has to be cool out. Living in the SE US I prefer jackets with full mesh or at least an Olympia Air Glide type. Its hot, sunny and humid here probably 60% of the time...

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
The headache is trying to cover 40 to 90 with a single jacket on a long tour.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts