StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

We`re in South America touring on a vstrom650 2-up. We`ve done about 2500km and the weestrom has preformed without a hitch.

However we`ve also driven about 200km gravel and a fair bit of `natural terrain` and things are shaking loose.

My main question is the bolt (or whatever it is) that holds the gear lever on has shaken off and I need to get a replacement. Does anyone know what I`m looking for. I need all the help I can get as I have to source a replacement in broken Spanish.

Anyone got advice on other things that might be secretly shaking loose, tomorrow I`m going to try check all the screws.

Cheers

Reece

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
When the pivot pin #33 in the first picture unscrews, it stays in the gear lever. Unless something really strange has happened, it will screw right back into the frame and stay there if some thread locker like blue Loctite is added. There are two other bolts that like to come loose that hold the cowling frame to the main frame. Only one is pictured as #2 in the second picture. Those can benefit from blue Loctite also. Also check the exhaust system for loose bolts.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Damn you are good, Greywolf :thumbup:
Looking at picking up a 2012 and getting back into biking and am sure you will be of great assistance.

Ken

·
38,103 Posts
I'm wondering if ReeceNZ has lost #36 in the gear lever diagram?
I've never encountered that. So many folks had 33 come off, Suzuki started Loctiting it at the building process,

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
I've never encountered that. So many folks had 33 come off, Suzuki started Loctiting it at the building process,
#36 has been falling out of Suzuki's since the 80's ;)

It's M6, you have to overtighten it to get it to grip, get an M6 x 20 or M6x25 and either a nylock nut or two single nuts.

(Over) Tighten it, then put the nylock nut (or two nuts nipped together) on it, it won't come off again. Catch is - it's not reusable because it gets stretched going on, so pick up a spare.

Pete

·
38,103 Posts
Shift lever pinch bolt problems have occurred on other bikes with the shift lever directly on the shaft. People change positions of the splines to adjust the pedal height and don't get the torque right afterwards.I've seen many reports of #33 coming off but I don't remember any of #36 falling out. The popularity of RichlandRick's peg lowering kit may change that as it works best with a spline change.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all,

Turned out 35 and 38 had come out, I managed to get replacements very easily.

Will try secure the ones you`ve all spoken about.

Cheers

·
38,103 Posts
Thanks all,

Turned out 35 and 38 had come out, I managed to get replacements very easily.

Will try secure the ones you`ve all spoken about.

Cheers
That's different. Circlips don't vibrate loose. It must have caught on something or not have been properly seated in the groove.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts