StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys/gals.

Just thought I would drop a line.

I recently bought (I hope) a 2007 Vstrom 650. I say i hope because the plan is for it to be waiting for me in Alaska.. so assuming all that works out I should actually get a chance to see/touch it in late July.

It's being stored in a garage for me until I get there. haha

I'll be going to AK in late july, staying until late August.. then riding it back to my home in Virginia.

I'm not new to motorcycles.. I've just never had a chance to do any real touring until now. My bike here in VA is a Buell 1125r but it was going to cost so much to ship it up there I figured I may as well buy a bike when I got there and found this one on craigs list.

It's a 2007 thats already got the top/side cases/tank bag/heated grips/other goodies. I'm quite excited to get up there and see it. The pics from the previous owner and description from the guy that is storing it for me make me pretty confident that I'm going to be over the moon happy with it.

Hmm.... I've put quite a few miles on a wee strom. My Dad has a 2004 that I've ridden a bit over the years.

There ya go.. Carry on, nothing to see here. :thumbup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha I thought so too. If I hadn't ridden a weestrom quite a bit previously I would be more concerned about that part of it.

I thought about trying to find a GS but decided against it for that very reason.

I've actually read a lot of graywolfs stuff.. before I even decided to do it.

I've always wanted to do this ride so I couldn't pass up the chance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a bad plan for a first ride, how far is that?

roughly 4,300ish depending on side trips.

I'm working on the plan now and leaving plenty of options here and there.

Like whether to do the top of the world/klondike down to whitehorse or just go tok to whitehorse and keep going on the alcan.

It's about 150ish miles difference but it's the difference in a 8-10 hour day ride.. or a 13-15 depending on how the road/ferry work out the best I can work out.

I know one of the ride reports here talks about the top of the world but I never really saw an opinion about whether it was worth it or not.

I'll be riding the bike for a month in anchorage and around before I take off on the way back so it's not as bad as it sounds. hhaha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts