StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is posted on ADV too.

Been on paternity leave I got quite bored around home so after I did my fender job http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543397

Then I after speaking with Hal who's wife is an inmate by the name of Skygazer ordered me my new single headlight. I've been wanting to do something about the ugly front end since I bought the bike.
Did quite a bit of searching for ideas across many sites, but most mods needed skills and/or tools that I just don't have.

Anyway piccie time

Here's the headlight and the clamps to be used,

The headlight arms off the clamps were too short & most of the local mobs weren't too helpful or didn't have stock so I made my own.

A couple of 3mm thick plates

The clamps with some carpet I had to cover some draws I made for my 4wd, just to protect the forks when clamped.

then started on the dash

with this as the finish

:puke2

So, not proud to say how long it took me, but I swallowed my pride and went for something simple.

You can see how the speedo is mounted

the rear

with headlight

the test run

Obviously the test run was before I painted the back of the speedo & a couple of other parts.

I should have my shield very soon, I ordered one of these http://www.mcsonline.com.au/catalogue/ch_fourteen.pdf it's part number WS12

So it's mounted to the top triple clamp using high tensile bolts with some loctite. The arms then mount to the headlight clamps secured by the indicators. I also made another arm in the middle to allow adjustment of the headlight. The vibrations seem to be the same as the handlebar, but definitely no more. Seems to be robust. Time will tell, unless someones spots something obvious.

I want to get one of the those wire stone guards for the headlight. I got Ricks fork brace on the way, so maybe I'll shove my WR high fender on
I also want to make something to mount my spotties for winter or touring.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Sure makes the bike look smaller overall. Do you think there was a real weight savings due to this mod ? I like it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't do it for weight saving, but there is.
Not necessarily big numbers but really makes a difference to the overall feel.

I've still got some more work to do, but it's kept me busy lately while stuck at home.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Every lb. you take off is a lb. you don't have to pick up. The bike really looks more dirt worthy and not so breakable. I wonder if there will be more or less wind noise at speed ?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Every lb. you take off is a lb. you don't have to pick up. The bike really looks more dirt worthy and not so breakable. I wonder if there will be more or less wind noise at speed ?
Less noise, and it's been quite windy here the last few days, one of the first things I noticed was getting hit in the chest, I do have a screen on order, we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Looks pretty sweet! Good job man, very original.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
insiration to get off my lazy tush and yank my buffetty fairing too.

your stebel looks like it mounted more than 15° form vert. better get it fixed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Also, with the Stebel, if you haven't already reinforced (read glued/epoxied/JB Welded etc) the horn unit to the compressor, you may want to.

Some people (me too) have had vibrations and bumps entice the two components to separate in an undesired manner. In my case, only discovering it when I went to hit the horn and was rewarded with a psssssh noise of air not going into the horn.

The plastic bit is held on with one thin clip near the top of the cylinder, and when it gives, the plastic is free to slide right off.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, with the Stebel, if you haven't already reinforced (read glued/epoxied/JB Welded etc) the horn unit to the compressor, you may want to.

Some people (me too) have had vibrations and bumps entice the two components to separate in an undesired manner. In my case, only discovering it when I went to hit the horn and was rewarded with a psssssh noise of air not going into the horn.

The plastic bit is held on with one thin clip near the top of the cylinder, and when it gives, the plastic is free to slide right off.
Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye on that, I've done plenty of K's with it over the last 2 years, it still appears intact, may be different now with where it's mounted, but I think I'll anticipate it coming apart & do as you've mentioned.:thumbup:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Completely unrelated hijack, but I have to ask: Is your front tire mounted backwards, or is that how those are designed to run? Just curious....
110 tyre size is mounted what appears to be backwards, the 100s I had last time are mounted in the opposite way :confused:

They do tend to bite more, I saw another set of 110s this weekend and they are mounted the same as mine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just have One question ,I see alot of guys totally changing the way the strom looks , the question is :confused: There are so many naked street and dirt bikes out there. but I guess each his own.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I just have One question ,I see alot of guys totally changing the way the strom looks , the question is :confused: There are so many naked street and dirt bikes out there. but I guess each his own.
I am also in the process of changing my bike as well for similar and also for different reasons.

Most of your dirt oriented motorcyles are not equipped with 90 degree, twin cylinders motors. They are usually, single cylinder bikes. The Suzuki motor is an outstanding, reliable, "torquey", fuel efficient motor. The frame is also one big piece of rugged metal. Put the two together and make it a little more dirt friendly then what is purchased OEM and the bike becomes one very, very special machine.

[Just my very biased opinion.]

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Riding a Strom without all the fairing in the front also totally changes the feel of the bike. It makes it feel much more dirt friendly and gives the rider a hugely improved vision of the ground near the front wheel as well as making the bike appear much smaller from the riders viewpoint..

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Riding a Strom without all the fairing in the front also totally changes the feel of the bike. It makes it feel much more dirt friendly and gives the rider a hugely improved vision of the ground near the front wheel as well as making the bike appear much smaller from the riders viewpoint..
And, I can't wait!!!!!

Got a ways to go though. Hopefully, by the end of March the project will be complete.

This evening, I was standing on the pegs and sitting on the seat, trying to determine the best location for the gauges. I decided to keep some of the original steel structure up front, so that I had a place to mount my Buell Ulysses headlights, a small fairing and on the backside of the steel, the gauges. It's kind of overwhelming, but very exciting!

B.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
And, I can't wait!!!!!

Got a ways to go though. Hopefully, by the end of March the project will be complete.

This evening, I was standing on the pegs and sitting on the seat, trying to determine the best location for the gauges. I decided to keep some of the original steel structure up front, so that I had a place to mount my Buell Ulysses headlights, a small fairing and on the backside of the steel, the gauges. It's kind of overwhelming, but very exciting!

B.
how many Uly riders out there do you think are trying to figure out how to put a 'strom fairing on their bike?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Blacklab/k1w1 you spot on the money.

I've still got work to do, but it's moving along.

So glad I've done this, I'll post some more pics soon, still waiting on my shield.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
how many Uly riders out there do you think are trying to figure out how to put a 'strom fairing on their bike?
I don't know about the fairing but.....

(Here is my rant.).

About 1/3 of the Strom headlight is nothing more then marketing "fluff". Take a close look at your headlight. The effective portion of the headlight is the round section towards the bottom; the "normal" part of the headlight. The upper part of the headlight is a "nod" towards Suzuki's identity. It is sort of a trademark look for their product line.

The shape of those headlights dictate how the fairing is built. What I am saying is, to accommodate Suzuki's "idea" of a headlight, a fairing has to be built around that idea. That doesn't necessarily mean a really good fairing.....

Now go read the Buffeting And Wind Thread.........

I respect the individuals who have chosen to go the route of a truly naked motorcycle with one headlight up front.

My plan is to have a little more fairing then a totally naked motorcycle. I also want two headlights. My thinking behind that is, I want a backup if one light fails.

Take a look at the Ulysses headlight on the following bikes:

Honda XR650L.

SV650.

KLR650.

Husqvarna.

It is my opinion, (just by looking; I haven't ridden one.), that KTM has the balance correct. The KTM 640 Adventure is close to the "form and function" look and performace that I am inspired by. I think I can get close to that with my bike.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
^^^^
hope you don't think i was knocking what you're doing. it was just a thought that popped into my head.
most of the time I HATE the fairing. not because of the styling or even the function or lack of. i prefer a nice clean flow of air around me. i will one day also convert mine, but my ideas are BIG and i do not have the means to make them happen at the moment. so, it must wait. i really can't wait to see yours finished.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts