StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever built a bicycle rack for a Vstrom ??

Alan..

·
not very quiet
289 Posts
I was thinking about this a few days ago. I had envisioned a sideways rack with both wheels removed. Ideas are plentiful, but doing the work takes time. I'm glad someone tried it.

I fly R/C model airplanes in the Summer. When I was stationed in the Philippines, I toted my model on the back of a Yamaha XS-400. The model had a 44" wingspan, so that's how wide it was on the bike. I used to have a photo, but it may have been lost in a divorce. I'll look around.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeppers

Just finished mine last night. First test ride was this morning and it worked great. Still have a little finishing work to do (sand and paint). Once I learn how to post pictures on this site I'll post some. Long story short, it can be done and safely.

I used the passanger peg on the left side as my front attachment point and built a L shaped bracket to support the rear of the rack. The bicycle mounts up kinda beside the motorcycle which keeps it lower and from acting like a sail which can happen when you mount them up high on the rear rack. I run a trunk too, so the rear rack mount wasn't an option. I can see it in the mirror when riding but it does not make contact or come near touching any part of me while riding.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I decided to build a small light weight single wheel trailer.I have a passenger and full givi bags (3 ) so a rack isn't going to work.Thanks for the help..

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'd like to come up with a way to tow the tandem behind the vstrom...but maybe that is asking too much. Have to wonder how long the tires would last at 60 mph. :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts