StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys use a Vstrom as a go to rig for trips in the motor home ?

Seems to me they would make for a real good bike to have in this situation. :wink2:

If you have stories to share please do ...

·
Registered
204 Posts
A bit big and heavy for that job I would think, a scooter or a small light weight 125cc bike would be more practical. Though I have seen a Vmax on a trailer behind a motor home a few years ago. Whatever works for you

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The smaller scooters are easy to load and get around on but lack any sort of sport and limited
carry capacity.

A burgman scooter like the 400cc would be very good. Huge hole under the seat that can swallow
a whole bunch of stuff, ride 2 up and still get you going at a pretty good clip.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've carried my DR350 on a hitch mounted carrier on back of my motorhome, I would never consider putting the heavy V Strom on it. I think my carrier has a limit of 550 lbs. I've considered trailering my V Strom to Florida behind the MoHo then riding the 'Strom back to NJ.

Here's the Motorhome, towing my Commander which is carrying the DR

Attachments

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Might

I'd probably go smaller than a Burger, just for ease of loading and handling. My SH150 is my main errand runner in town, and between the top box and pet carrier, can handle a surprising volume of goods. Even has a bag hook for extra capacity. Quite a bit smaller, lighter, and easier to handle than a Burgman. It'll go 60 even with my big, tall, and heavy corpus, so pretty suited to city traffic. With the tall windshield, pretty good weather protection as well. Gets around 80MPG or better. If the goal is to have a bike to tour on once you reach your destination, then, yes, you'll want something bigger. But a mid-sized scooter is remarkably practical as a go-getter, and relatively cheap. Won't wake the neighbors when you go out for early morning donuts, either.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Vstrom is a lil on the heavy side for hitch mount.

I would consider Yamaha XT250, WR250R, DR350.

·
Registered
436 Posts
A Strom could be put on a trailer behind a motorhome. I see lots of Harley baggers on trailers behind pickup trucks or in the back of the pickups when they go away for weekends. Maybe that's for a different reason? >:)

That said, I spend a LOT of time in Europe and Burgmans (and the others makers' versions) are everywhere - hugely popular as urban bikes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Seems to me they would make for a real good bike to have in this situation. :wink2:
Seems to me that's what you want, so.... :wink2:

But yeah, tongue weight would be a real issue if you are talking receiver carriers. If you are okay with dealing with a a trailer, no problem. I do have some experience with large scooters though, and can say that they are tough to beat for grocery work. Know why you never see them with panniers? Cause they don't need them! Between the under seat storage and a big generic top case I could easily tote two weeks worth of groceries home on my Majesty 400, or a large pizza under the seat. Great wind/weather protection too. It hated ridng off pavement, though. Dumped it a couple times on my dirt driveway after a little rain made the surface greasy. Strom doesn't care about a little skim of muddy clay as long as I keep it slow.

·
Registered
226 Posts
How’s your tonge weight, with that?
With which? MoHo or Commander? Since the Jeep is towed 4-down, there's basically no tonque weight on the MoHo, but it's weight ratings are 10,000 tow/1,000 tongue. The Commander's rated at 6,500/650. The DR weighs I suppose a few lbs over 300 (added rack, small saddlebags & large Acerbis tank) so the Commander has no problem carrying it. I've added a small lift to the commander with coil-over load carrying shocks which helps.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My friend purchased a 650 Burgman when age crept up on him & he had time swinging a leg over his Gold Wing & Bonneville. I rode the Burgman a few times & I'll admit, it was fun, plenty fast & super convenient!

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
650 Burgman weighs more than the 650 Vstrom.

400 Burgman might work but nowhere near as good a bike.

One of the 300s might work.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I’m building a tow rig like this right now which seems like a great option for said duty. I’ll post pics and review soon.

https://motowus.com/
Finally! A safe way to run my front tire in reverse...should be able to even out the cupping, lol

Also, does my speedo sensor run backwards? Clean, low-mileage bike--everywhere I go!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Finally! A safe way to run my front tire in reverse...should be able to even out the cupping, lol

Also, does my speedo sensor run backwards? Clean, low-mileage bike--everywhere I go!
People with no experience with dolly towing bikes tend to scoff at it thinking it will cause excessive tire wear or that it’s somehow unsafe.
I have several friends who have used front wheel dolly rigs to tow their bikes across the country and back thousands of miles no problems, very little tire wear as no torque applied. You do have to remove the chain, the major downside and biggest reason for rear wheel towing.
My next door neighbor 25 years ago welded bar stock tabs and a dummy hub directly to his steel 1972 Impala bumper and bolted the fork of his kz1000 directly to the bumper sans wheel. Worked great.
70’s Impala and 70’s KZ, pretty cool in retrospect.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nope, I'd have no issue towing my Wee this way...in fact, it makes way too much sense. Why trailer the bike when it can be the trailer!? I would, however, take issue with the $694 price tag. Wow. It is a nicely done unit but will have to wait until the market gets a copy or two and drives the price down.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Wow, Almost $700 ? :confused: Man your right if some knock offs get a hold of this
and lessen the wallet impact it would be IMO a good shorter distance tow option.
Long distance - I would not be comfortable with it. At least with a trailer you have the
extra ilumination of the lights and turn signals.

But to have your bike facing backwards when towed like a knot on a tree limb and no lights
on it, When dark of night falls it could be an issue with vehicles stopping behind you.
Or not stopping behind you. And WHAM mangled mess and damaged moho.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I like the idea of a short covered trailer that doubles as a maintenance garage. Dress it up with built in tool drawers, LED lights, and a slide window for a breeze. I prefer hanging out in the garage and socializing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes - Like man cave garage living. All things riding, wrenching and football. Or ( Insert ) your choice of TV sport...:smile2:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts