StromTrooper banner

Vstrom 800 - It’s here!!!!

12758 293
Wheel Tire Vehicle Mountain Automotive tire

…while there is no cruise control, she’s all grown up……I’m diggin’ it (DE = Diggin' Eeeit!)
Vstrom 800 DE
241 - 260 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
649 Posts
I really find it a shame that Suzuki presents a brand new bike with a brand new engine, improved characteristics compared to the VStrom 650 and 1050, and the only thing you find to say: "Oh! It doesn't have cruise control! "
Really pity!
It's ok to argue.

This is a good point.

Suzuki gives us an all new bike, all new engine and electronics, it's a 2023 model, and it doesn't have tubeless wheels? When the 650 has tubeless already! Now that in itself is a crying shame! If it makes you go, "Hmmmmm.....why?" Then it's a miss. It's not like tubeless 21" front wheels are unobtanium. Other makers like KTM, Moto Guzzi, etc. have them. FYI, even the VStrom 1050 DE has a tubed front 21" wheel. WTF? It uses the old tubeless 17" wheel. WTF?

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's ok to argue.

This is a good point.

Suzuki gives us an all new bike, all new engine and electronics, it's a 2023 model, and it doesn't have tubeless wheels? When the 650 has tubeless already! Now that in itself is a crying shame! If it makes you go, "Hmmmmm.....why?" Then it's a miss. It's not like tubeless 21" front wheels are unobtanium. Other makers like KTM, Moto Guzzi, etc. have them. FYI, even the VStrom 1050 DE has a tubed front 21" wheel. WTF? It uses the old tubeless 17" wheel. WTF?
Down boy, down!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cruise Control is a LUXURY.

I do understand people's frustration that CC is not on the 800DE, since it already has a throttle by wire and updating the software to have CC ability shouldn't be so difficult or costly. Agree 100%. Therefore, it's no longer a luxury, it should be standard, in the same way that an LED light is standard. The cost is negligible and the hardware to support it is already there. Suzuki fits the bike with a dual mode quick shifter for God's sake! But forgot the CC! :LOL:

Having said that, if your choice of bike depends on the availability of CC, then you're a spoiled brat and should get a Goldwing already. ;):ROFLMAO:
I don't work in cars, but I do work in R&D. The cost probably isn't negligible. While most of the software and hardware will be there and ready-ish to go, it will still need to be verified internally and then most likely certified externally. I haven't dived into all the legal requirements, but I would expect most features that operate like CC would need to be signed off by some testing house approved by the powers that be, in every market that they hope to sell the bike. Those tests don't come cheap, and it tends to be that every model needs to be tested (but subsequent generations of the same product may be able to get away with reduced testing depending on what is changed). Because its a new bike with new frame and new engine, I expect they have to do a whole beavy of tests. Now those costs should end up reasonably small, once amortised across all the bikes that they want to sell, but it still isn't a nothing plug-and-play addition.

But we all know the probably real reason it isn't in the product. Some one over in marketing decided that saving the feature for the top tier product would drive more consumers to choose that one.

·
Administrator
15,161 Posts
I'm not going to argue with anyone here. Nor seek to prove that I ride more than some or less than others, whether I go on tracks or not, or whether I ride on highways or not, or whether I have already used cruise control or not.
Nobody cares about that.
I was only expressing my point of view based on my experience and my way of ride.
I really find it a shame that Suzuki presents a brand new bike with a brand new engine, improved characteristics compared to the VStrom 650 and 1050, and the only thing you find to say: "Oh! It doesn't have cruise control! "
Really pity!

Fine to express your point of view that you aren't interested in having cruise.

Altogether a different thing to call people '"simpletons" because they want to have cruise.You seem to have something against it. You have attempted to insult people and as a result don't want to say where you are coming from riding-experience wise

Realize also the DL800 isn't a dual sport bike. Suzuki categorizes it as a "Sport Adventure Tourer" (at least they do so in Canada. ) It isn't limited to one type of riding but rather is decent at many different types of riding. The DL800DE is obviously marketed as being more capable offroad than regular V-Stroms and that doesn't mean it isn't also intended to be used for touring as part of the adventure.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
ME: cruise control....want it, need it, don't want to do without it.
FORUM: you don't want it !!!!, you don't need it !!!!, you can do without it.
it's the only way this FORUM can "Help you with your medical condition"

If we can meet you in person, we could try "Hypnosis" :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
15,161 Posts
I'm not going to argue with anyone here
It's too late as you have already tried insulting people.

Nor seek to prove that I ride more than some or less than others, whether I go on tracks or not, or whether I ride on highways or not, or whether I have already used cruise control or not.
Nobody cares about that.
You basically have implied people are stupid for wanting cruise but appear to have never had it. You basically are saying "I have never used it but don't like so you are stupid for wanting it"

...I was only expressing my point of view based on my experience and my way of ride.
No, that isn't really only what you have done. Your point of view seems to be that others are "simpletons" for wanting it.

I think the DL800DE sounds like a great bike! If it had Cruise and tubeless tires I could see that it could be my next bike. Without those changes it won't be my next bike. Sounds like some others feel the same way.

..Tom

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's too late as you have already tried insulting people.
It wasn't my intention. Maybe using Google Translation isn't the best choice I've done to translate my thoughts !

You basically have implied people are stupid for wanting cruise but appear to have never had it. You basically are saying "I have never used it but don't like so you are stupid for wanting it"

No, that isn't really only what you have done. Your point of view seems to be that others are "simpletons" for wanting it.
As I said just before, Google Translation sometimes used some words that are not exactly meaning what the writer have in mind.

V-Tom said:
I think the DL800DE sounds like a great bike!
At least we agree on one point ! :)

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
If so and priced right there will be one in my bike barn.
I like your thinking. I'm currently riding a Tracer 900 which is a fine toy for now, but not a long-term bike. It will be swapped out for something eventually, maybe a 1050, maybe an 800, or maybe an S1000GT. We'll see what the market does and where my riding peccadillos lean. My last DL, I put well over 200 thousand kms on it. It's fair to say we "bonded".

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
When I got my new Triumph Tiger 900 back in February I had a choice of three levels. The basic 850 Sport, the mid line 900 GT or the fully loaded GT Pro. I thought about it and decided while the 850 was priced lower you got less. The midline GT was nice and had more upgrades but then the Pro model had it all from the factory. LED fog light, quick shifter, heated grips and seat, CRUISE CONROL, center stand, electronically controlled and adjustable suspension, etc. I figured the cost of the options over doing upgrades on the lesser model and realized it was cheaper to get it loaded than to add on those items later. I figured if I didn't get the loaded model I would later regret and miss out. This is likely my last bike and quite frankly, I wanted it ALL!!! (including a cruise control....even if I seldom used it...I wanted it for the times I needed it like resting my old right hand or pulling a jacket zipper, etc.

I know some think all these extras are just something to go wrong or something you can live without. I get it, so does the builder, that is why they make you a "base" model. I don't know if Suzuki will ever add a bunch of extras to their 800 or 1050 due to the price point they are trying to hit. Time will tell but I would suspect that in the near future they will likely offer another version of this 800 with cast wheels and other more road oriented items. For the present they say they will keep making the DL650 but I wonder how much longer it will hold on. I mean that basic model is twenty years old and while a good bike, its dated.

·
Vendor
7,485 Posts
I did a quick look at the parts diagrams for the 1050. I'm not saying this is correct, just possible. And what is possible is that the only thing needed to install cruise control on the 800 is the left-hand switch module.

How certain am I? Not very. But I think it is a real possibility. Everything else needed for the cruise is on the bike.

Speed sensor - check
ECU - check
Throttle control motor - check
Read out - not really needed, but may be on the dash but not be visible until selected.

This may be a pay-for-play kind of thing like self-driving in a Tesla. It's there, you just have to pay for it. But on the Suzuki, it would be part of an upgrade package.

Suzuki wants about $350 for a replacement left-hand switch module.

·
Administrator
15,161 Posts
Suzuki wants about $350 for a replacement left-hand switch module.
If you look at a 2014-2015 DL1000 and then look at a 2020 DL1050 I'm pretty sure the the switches are identical apart from labling. Suzuki has cleverly re-purposed the existing buttons. ie on the right grip the starter button became the cruise on/off bottom. The kill switch bottom rocker button became the starter and on the left side the mode switch got multiple purposes depending on whether cruise was activated or not and on how long you depressed the rocker buttons.

I have to think that it should be possible to activate cruise with just software.

..Tom

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just found out about this bike, and after reading a bit, this engine configurations screams "Inazuma".
I had a GW250 Inazuma back in 2012 or 2013. It was heavy and its 2 cylinder engines lacked a lot of power compared to other monocylinder bikes, like the Pulsar 200. I wished for a 400cc Inazuma.

Well, unless they drop the tube tyres, this bike is a no no for me.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Its a software thing. We do the same thing in the automotive world. Same computer, drive by wire throttle control motor, etc. All they do is add the switching gear and "flash" the computer to turn on the cruise control .All the hardware, minus the switch gear, is already there. Read about BMW and their electronics. They build the car with all the parts then want to charge customers a monthly fee for allowing certain features, like heated seats and such, to work. (They got some major backlash from that move). Those cars are "connected" so they can do things over cell phone connections or wireless networks. Acura RDX does this. It can do GPS maps and other system updates while sitting in my garage at home. Its a new world, boys and girls!

Reactions: Sexyman

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are a few more significant problems with this bike than the absence of an electronic aid.

The first one is the high center of gravity. That sump is huge. And they need it for those balancer shafts that the DL650 doesn't need. So the tranny is going up almost to the airbox height. Just compare how low the tranny sits on a DL650 or RM-Z 450 and it will become evident, this engine is hugely road biased. On an offroad bike you rather see at least a semi-dry sump, not a wet sump anyhow. T7 and the new Transalp have the same issue.

The second is the torque curve. Whereas the curve on the DL650 is smooth and linear, the new engine has a significant pit, and I don't believe it is for the better.

The third one is of course the weight. There is no way 230 kg is good for adventure. A DL650 with all the needed panniers and racks will weigh the same. While on the new 800DE you haven't even started. Of course one can argue that the old Africa Twin weighed the same fully tanked. True. But the question is, do you really want it if a DL650 weighs 15 kg less and doesn't cost as much?

The fourth problem is fully adjustable suspension. I don't believe it's of any benefit for an adventure rider. You can easily go crazy with those clickers. I was doing motocross and I know how much time, effort and money it costs to make suspension work for you, even if it's as gorgeous as motocross suspension. I don't believe the 800DE will have top of the shelf suspension, so the chances are those clickers are more of a liability. I rather have the factory do the work for me and set the valving that works for the average rider. I'm okay to set the preload, but please save me from the rest. I'm not going to take it to the Dakar anyhow. More than that, I'm concerned with that suspension travel. It's huge. No way can you make it behave on- and offroad well enough without readjustments when changing surface.

So these are the 4 big problems which make me skeptical about this bike. It seems like the new Transalp although having very similar issues is a better package. It has suspension with less adjustments and its weight is bearable. Okay, we of course can make a correction for a smaller tank and the absence of the guards, add that up, and you're still 15 kg below the 800DE.

I'm in the market for a new adventure bike next season. I guess I'll be choosing between a DL650X and a Transalp 750. Tubed tires, cruise control, etc. are not game changers for me. They are nice to haves at best. I think the 800DE could be a great bike, but they've missed the mark by a significant margin.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Really pity!
What is better about this new bike than my 2013 DL650?

The suspension has a little more travel and the front wheel is bigger. I don't care about these things. I ride some gravel and two track. Not trails.

My 2013 has tubeless tires, which is preferred. And it's lighter.

The one feature that could have caused me to upgrade is missing. Throttle locks don't work for maintaining speed, which is the reason I want cruise control.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
So.....I keep reading all the Internet Experts telling us all the things wrong with this new 800. After reading of all these "mistakes" they are making I am left wondering how poor dumb Suzuki has managed to stay in the motorcycle business for the past seven decades.

I am also still waiting for anyone to take me up on my bet that Suzuki will sell out this model the first year in the States.

Give this company a break and wait and see how this model does. How many of you critics have even touched one, let alone ridden one?

:cool:

Reactions: V-Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
So.....I keep reading all the Internet Experts telling us all the things wrong with this new 800. After reading of all these "mistakes" they are making I am left wondering how poor dumb Suzuki has managed to stay in the motorcycle business for the past seven decades.
As an engineer myself I know you can be as smart as you want, but there are business requirements you have to fulfil during the development process. Usually it's all kind of budget and marketing requirements. So of course the issues people point out are not mistakes, but rather trade offs consciously made for their shareholders benefit, but not for our benefit as customers. I believe Aprilia with their Tuareg 660 has shown everyone how much bike one can get for the money, while others are lagging behind exploiting their reputation earned in the past decades.

241 - 260 of 294 Posts