StromTrooper banner
221 - 240 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
649 Posts
Another bet for any takers; I am betting Suzuki will sell every one of these they bring in next year. Any takers?
That all depends on the pricing. There's a robust discussion on ADV Rider regarding pricing for the 800 DE.

The 650 XT is US$9.5k. The 1050 XT is US$16k. The competition for the 800 DE varies in price from a low of $10.5k to a high of $15k. That's the Yamaha T7 and the Tiger 900 Rally (not the Pro). So Suzuki is probably juggling prices that will range from $11k to $13k. At what point will consumers buy a lot of 800 DE's?

Personally, if they price the 800 at $13k, I would cross shop it with either the Moto Guzzi V85tt, the KTM 890 Adventure, and the Tuareg 660. The KTM would be at the top of my list and so will the V85tt. If Suzuki prices the 800 at sub-$11k, then I would most likely choose the 800 DE over the Tuareg 660. The T7 won't even make the running. Not really sure where Honda will place their Transalp. Honda has a reputation for asking too much on a stripped down bike with less power (ie the CBR500x).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unpopular opinion, but I don't think electronic cruise control is all that important. I'm pretty sure honda and suzuki are withholding that feature so that the people that can't live without that feature needs to buy their premium bikes. As long as the price is about what the current 650 is, then this bike is still great. If the bike was being sold at 1000cc price point, then that would be very upsetting. Throttle locks are still going to be sold, so again, having electronic cruise control is not a big deal. Tubed wheels are a different story though. They definitely went backwards with that decision.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I couldn't wait any longer for this bike to come out. Well actually it wasn't well know if and when and what Suzuki was going to be bringing out. I found my "sweet spot" and sold me '17 Wee and went with a new Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro. Yes, it cost more but for those extra $$$ you get a very nice motorcycle. So happened the Triumph had the tires, wheels and electro magic parts I wanted and I picked it. The other bikes in this class didn't suit our needs. The KTM is more of a hot rod. Its narrow seat didn't suit the wife and I. The other Italian bikes presented similar issues. The 900 Pro had the right size wheels, the right style tires and things like nice heated grips and seats. Heck, my wife even gets her own multi level seat heat controller.
There is not one bike in this class that suits everyone. Suzuki picked a spot where they wanted to be and built this bike. The market place will tell them if they got it right. I suspect they put a lot of study into this as to get the right combination of features and pricing. Now, wait and see if they got it right. Looks interesting but even if it were available now I think I would still go with the Triumph due to features that suit my wants and needs. But, I am old and not as price sensitive as some. ( I worked hard and saved my pennies).

·
Registered
44 Posts
In my opinion, cruise control on a motorbike is a kind of gadget.

If you NEED a cruise control, you don't want a dual sport bike, you need a car or a Harley-davidson !

On the other way, tubeless tires are needed. So much easier to fix, to replace (except Mitas E07 : they're very tough !)

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
It's kinda funny....

me-

-cruise control....want it, need it, don't want to do without it.

others-

-you don't want it, you don't need it, you can do without it.

What is different about these two statements????

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
It's kinda funny....

me-

-cruise control....want it, need it, don't want to do without it.

others-

-you don't want it, you don't need it, you can do without it.

What is different about these two statements????
Me - own my first bike with cruise control

Them - have never owned a bike with cruise control

It’s just a button. You don’t have to push it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm guessing the people that don't favor cruise control don't make cross-country trips and/or don't have problems with hands/digits going numb.
Nope ! I make roadtrips on roads or trails where the cruise control is absolutely not suitable. And when my fingers go numb, I change position, slow down or stop.
I absolutely do not understand how cruise control can be an argument or reason for your purchase. Will you also need Tesla's Autopilot in a few years to buy a motorcycle? "Oh! this motorcycle can't take me to my destination on its own, so I don't want it!"
It's just marketing for simpletons and you're being fooled, with a smile on top of that!
It’s just a button. You don’t have to push it.
Apparently it's more annoying not having the button not to use it than having the button not to use it, according to the thoughts of some

·
Administrator
15,161 Posts
Nope ! I make roadtrips on roads or trails where the cruise control is absolutely not suitable. And when my fingers go numb, I change position, slow down or stop.
I absolutely do not understand how cruise control can be an argument or reason for your purchase. Will you also need Tesla's Autopilot in a few years to buy a motorcycle? "Oh! this motorcycle can't take me to my destination on its own, so I don't want it!"
It's just marketing for simpletons and you're being fooled, with a smile on top of that!

Apparently it's more annoying not having the button not to use it than having the button not to use it, according to the thoughts of some
I guess if you are only riding local, are never on highways, never really ride any distance then it would be hard to understand why people who do ride their adventure bikes any distance including across the continent would want cruise control. And the good thing is that there are plenty of bikes you can buy without cruise so you can be happy that you don't have to have it.

I guess I'm a simpleton and being fooled by marketing since one of the main reasons I replaced my 2015 DL1000 that only had 235,000 km /146,000 miles and bought the DL1050 was that it had cruise control.

Last year I rode it 57,670 / 35,834 miles. Literally across North America. This year I am currently at 59,040 km / 36,685 miles and still riding. This year's riding included Key West, Florida in May and Anchorage and Seward Alaska in July.

I've ridden 718,611 km /446,523 miles since i got my first V-Strom in 2006. Having broken my right wrist about 10 years ago (it have never healed properly) throttle locks and throttle rocker worked okay but are not even close to the usefulness of having actual cruise.

I'm sorry that you appear to lack the mental capacity of understanding that some people really like using cruise and may very well need cruise to get the most enjoyment out of their bike. It makes me wonder whether it is you or me that is the simpleton.

..Tom

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm guessing the people that don't favor cruise control don't make cross-country trips and/or don't have problems with hands/digits going numb.
I don't think that people dislike the idea of having cruise control as an option, it's just a thing that alot of us can live without. Maybe it's a matter of perspective, "once you've had it, it's hard to live without" kind of thing. But what's wrong with throttle locks? Objectively, they aren't as good as electronic cruise control, but they still give your hands a break.

·
Vendor
7,485 Posts
But RBW puts the capability is there. I really believe the first model is equipped to look as much like a serious off-road bike as economically possible.

As way above, after the positive media reviews then we will get a model with cruise, cast tubeless rims of appropriate size, etc., etc. Unless they plan on selling DL650a and DL1000s for many years to come, which I really doubt.

Hey, I just found out the 2022+ RBW Hyabusa has cruise control and remembered the RBW DL1050 has cruise as well. At a bare minimum, we will have a homegrown cruise project. But there is no way that Suzuki is going to have the capability to offer it and wait very long IMO to do so.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I have cruise control in my pickup. When I go cross country with the bike, I put the bike in the truck, and use the cruise control. And the stereo, A/C, heated/ventilated/ lumbar seats. Unload the bike, set up the campsite and ride the mountains/desert/Great Lakes for a few days, Load back up and drive home two days in the rain and crosswinds. Set the cruise. I've done four multi-timezone MC trips in the past, none with cruise. For me, my wrists are ok, it's my back and legs. I high-sided and crushed two vertebrae in 1984, broke my left femur in '09, and now in my seventies it's catching up with me. My riding style has me stopping to stretch about every 130-ish mi/200km. Much farther and my feet get achey-tingly. That's twice as far as I used to go when I smoked. I'm retired from OTR semi driving now and free of deadlines, hours of service and 3400mi/5400km weeks, so 340mi/550km motorcycle days get me there when I get there. Typically I ride about 7,000mi/11300km in a season.
My D'Elle is probably my last bike; might get a Burgman or comparable electric one day, but that's quite far down the road at 340 mi/day.

Theodore Roosevelt National Park May 2022:
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Plant community
Tire Plant Wheel Sky Car

·
Administrator
15,161 Posts
I don't think that people dislike the idea of having cruise control as an option, it's just a thing that alot of us can live without. Maybe it's a matter of perspective, "once you've had it, it's hard to live without" kind of thing. But what's wrong with throttle locks? Objectively, they aren't as good as electronic cruise control, but they still give your hands a break.
What's wrong with throttle locks? While they are good at providing a short term break for your right hand, Simpletons probably feel that the lack of actual speed control that a throttle lock provides is not nearly as useful as having actual speed control. Without actual cruise the bike will slow down going up hills and speed up going down. Means you need to monitor your speed constantly if you use them more than briefly and are in anything other than flat terrain. They are good as far as they go but they don't go nearly far enough for the many simpletons who actually ride their bikes.

..Tom

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
649 Posts
Cruise Control is a LUXURY.

I do understand people's frustration that CC is not on the 800DE, since it already has a throttle by wire and updating the software to have CC ability shouldn't be so difficult or costly. Agree 100%. Therefore, it's no longer a luxury, it should be standard, in the same way that an LED light is standard. The cost is negligible and the hardware to support it is already there. Suzuki fits the bike with a dual mode quick shifter for God's sake! But forgot the CC! :LOL:

Having said that, if your choice of bike depends on the availability of CC, then you're a spoiled brat and should get a Goldwing already. ;):ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm not going to argue with anyone here. Nor seek to prove that I ride more than some or less than others, whether I go on tracks or not, or whether I ride on highways or not, or whether I have already used cruise control or not.
Nobody cares about that.
I was only expressing my point of view based on my experience and my way of ride.
I really find it a shame that Suzuki presents a brand new bike with a brand new engine, improved characteristics compared to the VStrom 650 and 1050, and the only thing you find to say: "Oh! It doesn't have cruise control! "
Really pity!

221 - 240 of 294 Posts