StromTrooper banner

Vstrom 800 - It’s here!!!!

12737 293
Wheel Tire Vehicle Mountain Automotive tire

…while there is no cruise control, she’s all grown up……I’m diggin’ it (DE = Diggin' Eeeit!)
Vstrom 800 DE
201 - 220 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Ok, but you'll never get manufacturers to agree to a standard otherwise. They look at it as short term profit, not long term investment in their clients.

This is actually what governments are supposed to do. Not that they do their jobs.
It's government's job to mandate expensive luxury features on motorcycles? If so, prepare to see these stupidly expensive bikes cost even more, and 'budget' bikes disappear completely. It is not hard to hold a throttle all day. Get a $2 plastic rocker, install an aftermarket unit or just choose a bike that has the features you want to start with.

I'd take this new 800 with steam gauges instead of an ipad on the dash if it saved me $400 off the purchase price.

Just think about this for a moment.....this new 800 is marketed as a more "off road" oriented bike. How many "off road" motorcycles have cruise controls?. Perhaps in a year or two they will have a new additional model with a 19" front wheel, cast rims and more street oriented tires and a Cruise Control. That way then can introduce "new features" for a refresh or additional model based on this bike. That approach is pretty common in the auto industry where they lay out a plan for updates well into the future model years so they can always have "something new".
I would put my money on this. Wouldn't even mind the current sizes as long as they were tubeless. Every pothole I hit on my current bike makes me look back fondly at KLR ownership.

·
Registered
07DL1K
369 Posts
I don't care for the looks, only12 extra HP compared to my 650 and the tube tires cinch it for me. Nope.
If you do the math, it has the same percentage increase in cc as it does power vs the 650 so not something to mention as a negative IMO. But yes many people want cast tubeless wheels. Maybe Suzuki will offer that later.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
YouTube videos that start with;
"I HATE MOTORCYCLE XYZ...."
"WATCH THIS BEFORE YOU BUY"
"NEVER BUY xyz UNTIL YOU SEE THIS"
and similar are just "CLICKBAITS" and worthless in most cases, created by amateurs to generate more views, and make more money for the creator.

By now a few YT motorcycle reviewers have established themselves and their YT channels as "trustworthy, brand non bias and go-to channels worth watching" I.e. Big Rock, Motobob, FortNine, 44Teeth etc. imho they are currently the best source of information on motorcycles.

Reactions: OCL and GoodDl

·
Registered
2020 V-Strom 650
84 Posts
and similar are just "CLICKBAITS" and worthless in most cases, created by amateurs to generate more views, and make more money for the creator.

By now a few YT motorcycle reviewers have established themselves and their YT channels as "trustworthy, brand non bias and go-to channels worth watching" I.e. Big Rock, Motobob, FortNine, 44Teeth etc. imho they are always a better source of information on motorcycles.
Agreed. I cannot stand that clickbait crap. Unfortunately, they pretty much all use clickbait. Some are worse than others like the examples you listed. I'll have to check out Big Rock, Motobob, & 44Teeth. I don't think I've watched any of their stuff before.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I stand by what I said: This is the first version of this bike and I will bet next week's pay check that you will, in time, see a model with cast wheels, a 19" front wheel, tubeless tires and most likely a cruise control. Wait and see..... This bike is just a beginning.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Sympathy with those disappointed in the new 800 DE.

• No cruise control
  • Tube tires
  • Not a real dirtbike
  • Having a 21" front wheel while not being a real dirtbike
  • Outdated styling
  • Not competitive with other (more offroad focused) bikes
Counterpoints:

Heavy can be good for touring

Cruise control - Cruise adds development time, cost, and liability insurance. It's one reason why Tesla charges more to unlock autopilot even though every car is otherwise equipped from the factory.

Dirt - Nobody in the race-ready enduro crowd is considering a vstrom anyway. These aren't designed to be competitive, they're designed to survive daily riding and trips to far off destinations, sometimes 2-up. Still the new model will get through sections that were unreachable to any previous generation.

Weight - A lot heavier than the new Transalp eh? The Honda has a welded subframe, how well will it stand up to a tipover wearing hard luggage? It just doesn't look as a 'platform' for touring. Tiny windscreen, minimal bodywork and the unprotected exhaust runs directly under the engine. Anyone planning to grind things off the 800 is completely missing the point and should maybe just buy the Honda.

Styling - It was easy enough to get over my '06's look. This is fine. The Starbucks crowd just cares too much.

Compared to 1st gen 650: +12mpg, +20% hp, +25% torque, a simpler engine, way better suspension, likely more comfortable and simpler to maintain. There's very little to be disappointed about here. I'm glad they're evolving the series and I'll probably trade up to one of these instead of a 1050 or 1000.

·
Registered
587 Posts
It's government's job to mandate expensive luxury features on motorcycles? If so, prepare to see these stupidly expensive bikes cost even more, and 'budget' bikes disappear completely. It is not hard to hold a throttle all day. Get a $2 plastic rocker, install an aftermarket unit or just choose a bike that has the features you want to start with.

I'd take this new 800 with steam gauges instead of an ipad on the dash if it saved me $400 off the purchase price.

I would put my money on this. Wouldn't even mind the current sizes as long as they were tubeless. Every pothole I hit on my current bike makes me look back fondly at KLR ownership.
Come on dude, your killing me.

Not sure you realize how cruise is added to a drive by wire system.

I would bet both my balls(and I still need them to have kids) that suzuki would see a cost savings by standardizing and producing all their bikes with cruise.

Bare in mind, I say cost savings, at scale.

No more, two separate lines to make one controller with cruise and one with out. No separate molds, repairing, quality control for having two separate runs and installing, less robots or humans, you no longer have errors where a run of bikes were supposed to have cruise or vice versa, no more man hours, shipping, delays or reorders, reduced downtime, sales are standardized, what happens to your line if you can only get one product? That line of bikes would be put on hold.

Another benefit to Suzuki, Software and hardware is standardized.

The only reason Suzuki likes increasing their costs and complexity, is that they can charge cruise as a profit source. That's it bud. The big freaking mystery.

If govts can say, your bikes require mirrors, lights, a freaking horn for safety, they can tell manufacturers to standardize super old tech like heated grips and cruise as well. And I definitely think that time has come. 👍

It would not surprise me, if cruise is on every ecu and either it's plug and play, or you have to flick cruise to on, in the software. That's how simple the drive by wire system is.

Fast forward to pure electric bikes, let manufacturers play the exact same game and you'll have to pay what ever bucks for a switch and 2 or so buttons when it shouldn't even be an option to begin with.

I dunno how many times cold hands has affected my driving, doesn't matter where you drive, could be the equator, you'll still get that one day. Cruise has been proven to help drivers, motorcycling takes more concentration, no matter, how you cut it, should be required. I use cruise to give my hands a break, switch one side to other, or warm one hand in pocket, if it's the grips aren't enough. Or vibrations. Cruise is super handy to get your hand back working. Or what if you're exhausted and just need to get home, cruise will save you there too. Helps in traffic too, keep your speed up, so a tesla doesn't run you over. 👍

·
Registered
81 Posts
Enough, Sexyman. You're arguing just to be argumentative. You made the point that you like government to interfere wherever it can. Many of us disagree with that perspective. You are not going to persuade anyone. So give it a rest.

For me, I'll be very interested in whether Born A Goon can drop 50 pounds from the bike when he gets one. He also mentioned suspension and exhaust changes. I'll wait and see what he manages to accomplish.

I'm expecting to be in the market for a new bike for next Christmas. If BaG can make some inexpensive mods and drop the weight, then the 800 DE will definitely be on the short list. (Maybe he can get rid of the stupid-looking beak, too!)

·
Vendor
7,482 Posts
I stand by what I said: This is the first version of this bike and I will bet next week's pay check that you will, in time, see a model with cast wheels, a 19" front wheel, tubeless tires and most likely a cruise control. Wait and see..... This bike is just a beginning.
Agreed.

Judging by this thread, it doesn’t sound good for this new model.
Parts of the thread read that way, but I think this first version is made for the people who write magazine articles and make YouTube videos comparing "real" adventure bikes. The marketing department probably wants to establish that it is a serious off-road bike first (whether or not it really is) by following the formula used to evaluate these kinds of bikes. That would explain the otherwise problematic wheel sizes and lack of cruise control (even though almost everything for cruise control is already on the bike). After winning or at least comparing well in the inevitable shoot-outs, they will follow with a version the rest of us would think makes more sense.

Cast wheels, 18" rear and 19" front cast wheels, a simple plug-in cruise control, and a larger windscreen and suddenly we all love it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Come on dude, your killing me.

Not sure you realize how cruise is added to a drive by wire system.

I would bet both my balls(and I still need them to have kids) that suzuki would see a cost savings by standardizing and producing all their bikes with cruise.

Bare in mind, I say cost savings, at scale.

No more, two separate lines to make one controller with cruise and one with out. No separate molds, repairing, quality control for having two separate runs and installing, less robots or humans, you no longer have errors where a run of bikes were supposed to have cruise or vice versa, no more man hours, shipping, delays or reorders, reduced downtime, sales are standardized, what happens to your line if you can only get one product? That line of bikes would be put on hold.

Another benefit to Suzuki, Software and hardware is standardized.
And yet even though it would drive sales significantly, they haven't done it, isn't that curious? If it were trivial to include, a cost saving measure and a potential deal-maker, Suzuki would have it ready out the gate. Clearly they ran the numbers and realized that it would raise the cost into uncompetitive territory, delay the release, or be an unacceptable risk.

Even if all the bikes will share a common system, it still needs to be incorporated into the development process of each model. You need to get a thousand signoffs, test the crap out of the system and insure it for when somebody gets injured and blames you. Do you remember Toyota's unexpected acceleration lawsuits? It cost them over a BILLION dollars. This kind of shit almost doomed general aviation and is a major reason why a brand new Cessna 182 costs over a half million when they originally sold for a quarter of that price adjusted for inflation. Every feature you include is a potential source of liability and that includes supposed safety features.

With a list of mandatory features a mile long, you drive smaller manufacturers out of the market and the only companies that can afford to play are mega-corps. Is that the reality you want to live in?

The only reason Suzuki likes increasing their costs and complexity, is that they can charge cruise as a profit source. That's it bud. The big freaking mystery.

If govts can say, your bikes require mirrors, lights, a freaking horn for safety, they can tell manufacturers to standardize super old tech like heated grips and cruise as well. And I definitely think that time has come. 👍

It would not surprise me, if cruise is on every ecu and either it's plug and play, or you have to flick cruise to on, in the software. That's how simple the drive by wire system is.
Going to guess you haven't spent any time on a team implementing a software or hardware system (much less a combination of the two) based on the incoherence of these arguments. Big conspiracy? Suzuki aren't even offering it on this bike at ANY price!

I just can't get behind the logic of "I like this so it should be a requirement by law for everyone". I think I'll petition the Canadian government to mandate a prostate massager in every motorcycle seat, because it's clinically proven to be healthy and relaxing which obviously is crucial for rider safety. Don't want it? Don't have a prostate? Too bad, you're paying for it anyway.

I dunno how many times cold hands has affected my driving, doesn't matter where you drive, could be the equator, you'll still get that one day. Cruise has been proven to help drivers, motorcycling takes more concentration, no matter, how you cut it, should be required. I use cruise to give my hands a break, switch one side to other, or warm one hand in pocket, if it's the grips aren't enough. Or vibrations. Cruise is super handy to get your hand back working. Or what if you're exhausted and just need to get home, cruise will save you there too. Helps in traffic too, keep your speed up, so a tesla doesn't run you over. 👍
I've ridden my vstrom down to 0F for hundreds of miles at a stretch with a heated glove system and throttle rocker. Never once have I wished for cruise control and in over a decade of riding I can't think of even one situation where it would have made a difference in safety. If you're exhausted, you should not be riding period.

I hope all your ball wagers all work out in your favor, and if you do end up having kids please don't send them to the Zimbabwe school of economics!

·
Registered
587 Posts
And yet even though it would drive sales significantly, they haven't done it, isn't that curious? If it were trivial to include, a cost saving measure and a potential deal-maker, Suzuki would have it ready out the gate. Clearly they ran the numbers and realized that it would raise the cost into uncompetitive territory, delay the release, or be an unacceptable risk.

Even if all the bikes will share a common system, it still needs to be incorporated into the development process of each model. You need to get a thousand signoffs, test the crap out of the system and insure it for when somebody gets injured and blames you. Do you remember Toyota's unexpected acceleration lawsuits? It cost them over a BILLION dollars. This kind of shit almost doomed general aviation and is a major reason why a brand new Cessna 182 costs over a half million when they originally sold for a quarter of that price adjusted for inflation. Every feature you include is a potential source of liability and that includes supposed safety features.

With a list of mandatory features a mile long, you drive smaller manufacturers out of the market and the only companies that can afford to play are mega-corps. Is that the reality you want to live in?

Going to guess you haven't spent any time on a team implementing a software or hardware system (much less a combination of the two) based on the incoherence of these arguments. Big conspiracy? Suzuki aren't even offering it on this bike at ANY price!

I just can't get behind the logic of "I like this so it should be a requirement by law for everyone". I think I'll petition the Canadian government to mandate a prostate massager in every motorcycle seat, because it's clinically proven to be healthy and relaxing which obviously is crucial for rider safety. Don't want it? Don't have a prostate? Too bad, you're paying for it anyway.

I've ridden my vstrom down to 0F for hundreds of miles at a stretch with a heated glove system and throttle rocker. Never once have I wished for cruise control and in over a decade of riding I can't think of even one situation where it would have made a difference in safety. If you're exhausted, you should not be riding period.

I hope all your ball wagers all work out in your favor, and if you do end up having kids please don't send them to the Zimbabwe school of economics!
It's a profit source dude, that is why it's not on all bikes. Increases Suzuki cost, but earns them more money. Just like any bike manufacturer.

I tried thinking of how to explain the cost side to you better. Imagine you're Mr Suzuki, you produce the vstrom. But the only color is black. You want to add the color orange. With the way your understanding it, you think, adding the color orange is free. It is not. It is an increase in cost.

Would be the same deal with bolts, if you could do everything with one bolt, vs two different styles. It would be cheaper to run one type of bolt.

In terms of just cost(money to create bike) for cruise vs no cruise. It would work like this;

No cruise for all bikes, is the cheapest option for Suzuki(don't have to make a piece of plastic with toggle and buttons).

Next cheapest is cruise for all, software, hardware is already done, literally add buttons to control cruise.

The most expensive option is to do both.

Why do both, if it's more expensive? This is where your marketing and accounting steps into play, increase in sales or higher charge, I had to pay more for cruise on my bike. Would have been cheaper for me not to have it.

Not sure what a prostate massager has to do with anything.

Conspiracy as well?

Perhaps, hit up a few books on manufacturing, accounting, software development and sales to understand what I'm talking about.

If you've really ridden at 0f, then you should already know how cold can affect hands and driving. New and inexperienced drivers do not always pull over when tired or cold, or stuck out in middle of no where. Even experienced, like my dad and I, stuck between two snow storms during the summer, last summer. Because we couldn't. Prairies... Or stuck in a desert, or if you've ever played around mountains. Riding does not always work out, the way you hope or expect. In Alberta, you can have snow anytime of the year.

Thinking back, there's one time my throttle lock for sure saved me. Which I would not have thought to buy had my Suzuki buddy not insist that I install one. This was when I bought my wee. Later that year, I was working down in Estevan sk. Had a flight to Ontario in Regina, which was 2 hrs away. It had snowed the night before, not a little snow, 3-4 one is, this was just the beginning of Sept. I had to ride in the tire tracks and keep my bike from getting caught in the snow. Thank f for that throttle lock. Having to do speed and try to stay in the line for a couple hours was nerve wracking as f.

With your way of thinking, that safety isn't something governments shouldn't force upon manufacturers, I guarantee, you would be paying for mirrors, horns, seat belts, signal lights, air bags, vehicles that don't absorb energy during a crash, stuff catching on fire, no standards on wiring, straight up old school windows that slice you up and shatter to a million pieces.

Btw, you roll with heated gloves and throttle lock? Why, may I ask?

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
649 Posts

By now a few YT motorcycle reviewers have established themselves and their YT channels as "trustworthy, brand non bias and go-to channels worth watching" I.e. Big Rock, Motobob, FortNine, 44Teeth etc. imho they are currently the best source of information on motorcycles.
I agree with you. However, many "reliable" YT channel reviewers also have those "5 things I love/hate.....Watch This before you buy....Don't buy before you see...."

Yeah I can't stand click baiters. The worst ones are those who MUST put their FACE on the video for more than 10% of the time. If you must put your face on the video, don't allow it to occupy more than 1/3rd of the frame and longer than 10% of the video content. Unless you are stunningly beautiful, don't!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Another bet for any takers; I am betting Suzuki will sell every one of these they bring in next year. Any takers?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm looking forward to having a ride on the demo, but It will need cast wheels with a 19" front wheel for me to consider a purchase. I hope a basic spec bike becomes available.
Anyway It will have to be very good to swap my near perfect L5 for.

201 - 220 of 294 Posts