StromTrooper banner

Vstrom 800 - It’s here!!!!

11888 291
Wheel Tire Vehicle Mountain Automotive tire

…while there is no cruise control, she’s all grown up……I’m diggin’ it (DE = Diggin' Eeeit!)
Vstrom 800 DE
1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
It looks like the suspension has been upgraded from the 650. I wonder if Suzuki plans to market this as a more dirt oriented bike with 21" front wheel, and the 1050 as more road going, or if they'll keep the 1050 at all?

·
Administrator
15,161 Posts
Without the V twin, it's just a Strom. The beautiful motor is what made the V Strom a great bike. I'm not sure how this is going to go over. The reincarnated TransAlp looks nice too.
"V" doesn't have to be a description, it can very much just a name.

After all "Strom" means Current, Stream, etc and the V-Strom isn't any of those.
Some argue the Strom motor isn't a "V" twin but rather is an "L" twin as it is 90 degrees.

A Yamaha Super Tenere isn't a desert, a Ford Mustang isn't a Horse nor is the Mustang Fighter Plane a Horse.
Tesla "Supercharger" wouldn't boost power on a gas engine.

They are just names. :)

..Tom

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
649 Posts
I like that Suzuki understands what the bike is USD for and calls it a "V-STROM 800DE, sport adventure tourer" The 21" front wheel and tuned rims are just silly IMO. All it does is made the bike less suitable for its real mission.
What's silly is they don't appear to be Tubeless, when both 650 and 1050 are tubeless.

For size, I'm a believer of the narrow 21 front. I used to doubt the claims, but the 19" front on all legacy VStroms, combined with the chassis geometry is great on pavement. But they really are less desirable off road. They tuck it very easily on loose terrain, especially sand. On rocky terrain, the bigger diameter front tire makes a difference on ride quality and also directional stability. I mean all bikes will tuck in the front when you hit soft terrain and the front wheel skims along the soft surface, but the VStrom's don't give you much time to save it. The Stroms are capable off road to a degree, and ridden within its hardware limits. Anything approaching moderate terrain difficulty basically is the current Strom's limits. If this new 800 DE has the goodness of the current V-twin 650, gets close to or matches the on pavement handling, but closes the gap or matches the off road performance with the likes of the T7/Tuareg 660, then Suzuki has a winner. 776cc P-twin means closer to 75-80 rwhp, which means if its curb weight is similar, then it will easily walk away from the T7/Tuareg 660. I like what I'm seeing and reading that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 292 Posts