StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it matter from which side you insert the rear wheel axle; from Left or Right ?

I've seen many pictures and videos done from both sides ???,
...manual shows to insert the axle from the LEFT or sprocket side (when you are facing the rear end of the bike), so you end up with the axle nut on the RIGHT side of the bike
...when you are doing the final torque you are applying force upward and actually lifting the bike swingarm

I kind of like the nut on the sprocket side, so when doing the final torque you apply force downward (against the pitstop stand, as I don't have center stand)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Fairly sure the rear axle comes from the factory with the nut on the right side. It's probably fine to swap, but after so long I almost feel superstitious about changing anything.

That's about the only fastener on the bike that I don't use a torque wrench for, and it has never galled stripped or slipped. I have a retaining clip, interesting that your nut isn't castellated.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've run it on both sides on my DL1K. I prefer it on the right side. When I run it on the left I've had it reduce chain slack slightly when I torque the nut.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
interesting that your nut isn't castellated.
That's what I was wondering too, but it's the OE Suzuki nut that I have

here is a picture of strom 1000 axle castellated nut

and here is what I have on my '18 650XA (not a picture of my bike):

and apparently the nut can come loose:

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I think it matters if you're right or left handed.

If you're right handed it's easier to have the nut on the right so you can straddle the wheel vs. standing off to the left side of the bike (nut on left).

Some think inserting the axle from the right makes it easier to line up the brake caliper. I don't have a problem inserting from the left. I sit behind the tire and use my foot, piece of wood or something under the wheel to lift it to line it up.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
I reversed mine. Having the nut on the left side made it easier to line up everything when sliding the axle in from the right side. I've noticed no ill affects.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I reversed mine. Having the nut on the left side made it easier to line up everything when sliding the axle in from the right side. I've noticed no ill affects.

YMMV

View attachment 289022
that's what I thought, nothing on this rear axle is "keyed" and it seems it can be inserted from either side, wonder why is the manual showing insertion from the right? (maybe there is a reason?)

IF it doesn't matter I am fine with having the nut on the left (sprocket side), since the swingarms are resting in my pitstop stand, so it works better for me when doing the final torque to apply the force downward against the pitstop stand, keeping the rear end more stable, (even tough at that time the rear wheel is on and kickstand is ready to catch the bike.)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some think inserting the axle from the right makes it easier to line up the brake caliper.
yes my bike came with axle inserted from the right, so I did the same, and it did help to line up the spacer and brake caliper first

·
Registered
148 Posts
Replaced cotter pin with spring pin and releasable zip tie. Spares in tool kit
Carry piece of hardwood dowel stock to line things up. Axle chases dowel out as it's installed.
Tire changing/chain adjusting tools ride inside old inner tube in one of the saddlebags

1626632241591.jpeg 1626632308788.jpeg 1626632356811.jpeg

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
The 2012-16 DL650s -- and I suspect later models -- use a Fujilok nut:

No need for a castellated nut or cotter pin. The locking mechanism is integrated with the nut.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Replaced cotter pin with spring pin and releasable zip tie. Spares in tool kit
Carry piece of hardwood dowel stock to line things up. Axle chases dowel out as it's installed.
Tire changing/chain adjusting tools ride inside old inner tube in one of the saddlebags
Now... that's what I call, Better safe then sorry (y) the only thing that's missing on that thing is a small padlock ;)

If I ever decide to ride my Vstrom around the world, I want to ride with you (y)

Reactions: Solarguy

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 2012-16 DL650s -- and I suspect later models -- use a Fujilok nut:
No need for a castellated nut or cotter pin. The locking mechanism is integrated with the nut.
Ohhh that's what I have then, no need for castellated (y)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Damirio,
If I ever ride outside of USA and Canada I'll find a DR650 instead of the DL1K. Simpler.

The zip tie is just to keep brush from possibly flipping the spring ring to the open/remove position. When installing it I try to get the slots and hole lined up so the pin goes in from front to back. Doesn't always line up though.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
240 Posts
Nothing, they are just older solution, my bike came with that Fuji nut
Okay! I don't really know how they work but am off to find out.

The Fuji looks cool, and I'm used to Nylocks on sailboats, but don't know what keeps a Castellated nut in place.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Okay! I don't really know how they work but am off to find out.

The Fuji looks cool, and I'm used to Nylocks on sailboats, but don't know what keeps a Castellated nut in place.
Okay, so now I'm totally embarrassed. My bike has a castellated nut and did not come with a cotter pin. I thought there was some magic I didn't understand!

My previous bike was a Honda VFR that has a single sided swingarm and four car-type lug nuts.

This bike's axle must have a hole for a cotter pin, and I've just missed it! 50,000 kilometers... Shudder.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
This bike's axle must have a hole for a cotter pin, and I've just missed it! 50,000 kilometers... Shudder.
I've had bikes with cotter pins in the rear axle nut. They were never bound up which tells me the nut doesn't loosen up.

I do use loctite on the axle and most every bolt on the bike though!

Reactions: drmonbowen

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
I might as well get my nuts castrated......castlelated...........whatever. Instead of a regular cotter pin, use a "Hairpin Cotter"........use them on all my bikes. No need to get the pliers out using hairpins. I have (4) in my parts bin if anyone wants one for their Vstrom........or, you can order them from McMaster-Carr like I did (get the SS pins).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts