StromTrooper banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes, I actually went and sat on one at the dealer. It felt a bit spartan but had a great seat height.
I did a lot of internet research and what turned me off was the high revs and the consensus that "on the highway in sixth gear, the engine is spinning about 8000 rpm, which sounds like you’re on the banks of Daytona".
Maybe I'll take another look.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Great advice from all on getting a used bike. I am continuously searching the buy and sell ads. As the snow melts, I am sure a more options will pop up.
Thanks.

·
Administrator
18,197 Posts
The Versys 300 will outrun and outperform the KLR650.

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
OP - kinda of found it amusing you did not explore the CB500x more thoroughly as it hits the description on the money.
I took my 2018 across Canada in 2019, its lighter and lower than the Vstrom and extremely good value and incredible range and fuel economy.

Not the power of the 7T or the Vstrom but then you can go a long ways on little fuel and it will cruise all day at 120-130. 430lb wet.
I liked the 3 650s I owned but always top heavy with a full fuel load on. WIll carry more and certainly more "thrill in the twists" tho the cbx is extremely nimble and feels lighter.

944 pages on ADVrider ..https://advrider.com/f/threads/honda-cb500x.840842/page-944 - it was a hit from the first release.

I admire the 7T for hitting a true dual sport status but for distance I't take the CB500x or the Vstrom. ( have taken both cross continent )
Im 73 30" inseam. 5' 8"

A used KLR would be a cheap durable entry point. It was mine when I got back into riding after a 10 year break.
My KLR in Australia is a 2004 and reliable and easy to service. We changed a blown rear shock in the drive way in an hour. It has 83k km on it light off pavement and 2-400 km day rides in FNQ. A Sargant seat is a must for it. 300 k might be okay stock but I use MotoSKivvies and an AirHawk and occasion a Beadrider to ease the aches.
It takes a few weeks of regular riding to get your body to feel comfortable on the bike...aches and pains for a bit.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
The Versys 300 will outrun and outperform the KLR650.
um ...wishful thinking.
It's nice and nimble but 32 HP not going to stack up against the 38 of the KLR and who wants to buzz along at 7,000 rpm all the time...plus poorer fuel mileage than the CB500x.
Even my old KLR will cruise at 100-120 kph at decently low rpms depending on the tires....gets noisy with 606s on it and the 21" front tire on the KLR is a treat off pavement.
Mitas e07 are a decent compromise for road and light trails.
Versys has 7.1" clearance vs 9.4 on the klr but the vs is way lighter.

When the Versys 400 is in the mix ...it's a contender....but it's vapourware.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
...It’s a “settle” bike that will make you appreciate your next bike even more. I can’t foresee any reason that I would ever consider purchasing a KLR again...
I know a few people who have bought a KLR more than once. In fact I know one guy who's bought a KLR 4 times. Weirdly, in that case I literally mean "a" KLR. He owned the same bike on 4 different occasions. He'd sell, a year or two later he'd run into the guy that bought it, and he'd end up buying it back.
They seem to suit a certain type of rider pretty well. I will say that I think the first gens (07 and earlier) are the way to go. The newer ones have given up quite a bit of dirt worthiness in return for only a small increase in on-road ability.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I see that there are a few 2016-18 KLR's in my area, all dressed up for about Can $6000, and one mint Vstrom 650 XT for sale.
EB**, grab that Strom before it's gone, it will make you smile every day (y) 😉 ...I never rode any Stroms and I bought one all based on great reviews, and I got it without even a test ride, now that I own it for 6 mnths I can see why everybody loves this bike. I got a mint '18 with Suzuki 5yr warranty so win/win.
Good luck with your purchase

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
My first strom was the shortest demo ride ever. Had it for the afternoon - took it 10 minutes down the highway and it fit like a glove. Turned around and bought it on a credit card ...that was a first. Was farkled perfectly for my cross country ride - I did not even have to adjust the mirrors.

Reactions: tomstromr

·
Registered
2014 V-strom 650
19 Posts
I spent literally 6 months shopping. The same bikes you mentioned were on my list, along with the cb500x, f800gs, and a hell of an underpriced tiger 800xc.

I went with a 2014 dl650. It's not the perfect bike for any one thing, but it's been a great bike for every single thing I've thrown at her. Klr would be vibration-hell on the highway. GS? Eff that premium gas (same with the tiger, plus that heat on my legs). Cb500x felt underpowered, but that was only because I wanted 2up to be possible. Solo, I'd have probably stuck with it for the price. T700... It seemed pretty awesome, but the price here in the usa was like twice that of a used other bike after taxes, etc.

But the massive community here and the availability of parts, knowledge, etc, edged me to the wee. I haven't regretted it for a second. Every trip out has been more bonding (although the 2up has been... Meh. She wants a top case as a backrest).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually did exactly what you guys suggested and bought a used 2009 gen 2 KLR a year ago to get back on two wheels. Perfect bike for short trips(200km and your arse starts to pull you off the bike for a walk).
20km/l average consumption at 110km/h all day long... But if you go above 120kmh(5000rpm) the KLR's start using bit of oil.
Also only 5 gears, kept looking for 6th...

Now I am just about ready to trade her in for the DL, as it is widely respected as tbe best sports tourer in the class and most comfortable and reliable...

Slightly more expensive than KLR around here in South Africa, but plenty of them around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The KLR is heavy, slow, and runs out of RPMs on the big roads. It is down on horsepower. It is a single cylinder too.
hmm, I keep hearing people complain about the KLR’s weight while they praise the Ténéré as an amazing bike. Yet the the new 2022 KLR base model is only 4 lbs heavier than the T7. The ABS version is 6 lbs more than the T7. And that’s is with the 20 something lbs the KLR gained over the previous generation.

And the KLR is lighter than the V-Strom
650. Let’s face it, the V-S6 is a much heavier bike. With the X Adventure version being about 530 lbs. That is heavier than a full size 1100cc Africa Twin base model at 501lbs

Don’t get me wrong, I like the V-S65, but the 19” front wheel, low ground clearance, and weight minda turn me off. As I am planning a trip through Central and South America trip. Even though I am still considering it, the bike at the top of my list right now is the T7. My biggest turn off about that bike is the 4.2 gal tank.
I hope Kawasaki transmission upgrade (3rd, 4th, and 5th gear) will help it on the highway.

That’s my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
2019 DL1000XTA
331 Posts
Have you considered the Kawasaki Versys 300?
Yup. I thoroughly enjoyed my ‘13 KLR (I took it off-road and camping), but if I had it to do over again...I would have gone with something lighter.

Even just doing forest service roads, you’re going to be picking it up sooner or later. Lighter is better for pick-ups.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
hmm, I keep hearing people complain about the KLR’s weight while they praise the Ténéré as an amazing bike. Yet the the new 2022 KLR base model is only 4 lbs heavier than the T7. The ABS version is 6 lbs more than the T7. And that’s is with the 20 something lbs the KLR gained over the previous generation.

And the KLR is lighter than the V-Strom
650. Let’s face it, the V-S6 is a much heavier bike. With the X Adventure version being about 530 lbs. That is heavier than a full size 1100cc Africa Twin base model at 501lbs

Don’t get me wrong, I like the V-S65, but the 19” front wheel, low ground clearance, and weight minda turn me off. As I am planning a trip through Central and South America trip. Even though I am still considering it, the bike at the top of my list right now is the T7. My biggest turn off about that bike is the 4.2 gal tank.
I hope Kawasaki transmission upgrade (3rd, 4th, and 5th gear) will help it on the highway.

That’s my 2 cents worth.
Welcome.

For a single cylinder "ADV" bike, the KLR is still down on power. The Yamaha T7 has much more engine at the same weight. If the KLR weighed around 300 pounds.......well then.

The KLR and T7 are both better dirt bikes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well the t7 has great reviews I got a dl1000 k4 and I do a lot of Offroad but I want to go longer distances... For the t7 the guy from fort nine praised it and the looks are really nice you can pay to make spoke rims tubeless too. The klr even though is a tank I don’t like it

·
Registered
2 Posts
For the t7 the guy from fort nine praised it and the looks are really nice you can pay to make spoke rims tubeless too. The klr even though is a tank I don’t like it
Yeah, Ryan from FortNine praised the bike, but so pretty much everyone else. Even though the rear spring can be a bit soft for some riders (heavy riders and those who cary even the kitchen sink to go camping), the power delivery and the on and off road handling is nearly magical for the bike.
Many who have never ridden the Ténéné 700 assume that it is not as good on paved roads because of it’s 21”/18” set up. But that is not true. Ride one and you’ll noticed that it does not feel like a 21”/18” set up bike. That bike is ridiculously nimble on and off road. Literary a bike that is as close as you can get to a perfect road and off roading at both.

Since I am planing a trip through Central and South America, confort was a huge concern for me. I was worried about the T7’s seat confort, as it seems thin by comparison to other bikes. But I have seen videos in YouTube of people crossing entire continents on the bike with no problems. And that is on the standard seat. My understanding is that the Rally seat is even more comfortable. But it makes the bike taller.

Like I’ve mentioned before, the biggest problem I have with the T7 is with the 4.2 gal tank. If the rumors based on spy pictures are right, may be for 2022 we Yamaha will be offering an extended range model. 2022 will also be the forth year since the introduction of the T7, and if Yamaha sticks to development tradition of most bikes, we may have a new and improved T7. Can’t wait to see what Yamaha has up it’s sleeve. I hope the price stays the same or only goes up slightly. The current version’s price only went up by 500 bucks.

The other bike that could potentially be introduced in 2022 is the Honda Transalp 790, or the “Baby Africa Twin,” like some are calling it. The development of the bike was confirmed by the Africa Twin development leader. Who said that they are considering selling three versions of the bike, the Roadster, the Classic, and the Adventure. I assume that the roadster will be a more street friendly version. The Classic a more in the middle type of bike. And the Adventure being a baby version of the Africa Twin. A bike that might be a serious competitor to the T7.

And of course Suzuki should be introducing a new V-Strom 700 with the new EX7 parallel twin engine. Suzuki has filed for the patents of a new bike with a new engine. Will we see it in 2022? I doubt it, may be more for 2023 or 2024. As Suzuki is not under pressure of releasing it. Except for the fact the the current version of the V-Strom 650 is getting old and needs to lose some weight. Something a parallel twin will allow it to do.

I think that if all the rumors (based of spy pictures, company insiders, and trademark and patents files but all three manufactures) are right, we have some exciting game changer times heading this way for the mid-weight adventure class. I hope that Kawasaki wakes up and does something exciting to the Versys 650. Come on Kawasaki, we need an exciting adventure bike from you guys. I doubt it, but may be one day.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts