StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I'd like to install the oxford grip heater to my VStrom.

I don't want to connect it directly to the battery because I am afraid I can forget the heater on after my riding. As I result I'll get a dead battery.

For this reason, I'd like to use the grip heater connector which should be already available. I am trying to identify its position and its model.

Is the heater connecter the one in the picture? This connector is behind the radiator on the left side.

Do you know its model? I prefer to buy a right plug instead of cutting the wires?

Thanks in advance for your help

Ciao,
Rosario

Attachments

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Looks like a good place to ask:

I'm rehabbing an '05 Wee and need to make a proper job of connecting the Oxfords, since I think the previous owner made something simple complicated.

I've had an '04, '07 and '12 before and hooked up heated grips. But since it's been several years, especially the '04, I'm not certain where the h/g connector is. I recall it being stuffed up behind the radiator, but I'm not sure. Getting old I guess.

Is this correct?

Thanks. I'm glad to have a reason to be back on the forum after 5 or 6 years on other bikes.

·
38,049 Posts
They are all pretty much in the same place behind the radiator top shroud.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I'm hopeful all those early mods come back to me when I get into it. Kind of nice to walk old ground again.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The Oxford heated grips can be hooked up direct as the controller senses battery voltage and will turn itself off when it is not charging.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blame on me :) I mixed up the temperature sensor for a connector.

The one in attach should be the right one. Correct?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts

Yep that looks like it, but you will have to cut the plug off unless you have a mate to it and a pig tail. Eastern Beaver sells one:
VStrom

page down to the heated grip adapter. While you are at it, order the headlight relay harness(if it's not already on the bike) since the oem set up fails quite often.

·
38,049 Posts
That's the one. You can also get a connector that fits from Suzuki as it takes the same connector that's used for the horn. The part number is 36852-06G00.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info.
Pay attention because it depends on the model of the heated grip. I contacted the Oxford support and they confirmed that the one I have doesn't implement any battery protection.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Pay attention because it depends on the model of the heated grip. I contacted the Oxford support and they confirmed that the one I have doesn't implement any battery protection.
Thanks for the heads-up. Since mine only has 4 power settings, I have to assume it is the "dumb" version.

I'll see if it shuts itself off, and if not, go for a switched source. A fuse block may be in my future since the driving lights, extra power plug and battery tender are all direct to the battery. Kind of a mess in there. Nice winter project.

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. Since mine only has 4 power settings, I have to assume it is the "dumb" version.

I'll see if it shuts itself off, and if not, go for a switched source. A fuse block may be in my future since the driving lights, extra power plug and battery tender are all direct to the battery. Kind of a mess in there. Nice winter project.
Go to Eastern Beaver and pick-up a PC8 and that auxiliary connector lead you are needing.........:wink2:

·
Registered
23 Posts

Looked and looked for the connector on my 2015 DL650, using all the listed photos for reference, without success. Finally, this photo showing the connector's relationship to the horn was the key. Find the horn and the connector is just above it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts