StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I'm "curious" about the vstrom 1000. I'm 30 years old and looking to buy my first street bike (dirt biking since i was 10). The Vstrom 1000 has caught my attention. I'm mostly looking for it to be primarily a tourer, but ill ride it around the city in the summer too. Next summer I have trip planned from where I live in Alberta Canada out to east coast with my Dad and Uncle. I think this bike would fit the bill. I have $5500 Canadian to spend, looking at prices here that still puts me in a gen1. What year should I be looking for? I don't want to buy an 07 and miss out on some key updates if I had only gotten the 08 etc.. I really enjoyed youtube videos on the 2015+ vstroms, looks perfect(cant afford im an old guy university student). How different are they compared to the older ones that I can afford?

·
Super Moderator
16,886 Posts
Stay away from any of the 2012 and below.....you'll thank me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ignore that comment. :)
I have an 02 1000. I love it. I'd recommend getting the newest one you can (even if its a 2nd gen). The later first gens had front adjustable sag or preload and more stator capacity. 04-12 had a different windshield set up. I think that's pretty much it other than cosmetics.
They are reliable bikes with a few well known "quirks" -maybe?
Ones that come pre-farkeled will save some dough.
P.S. My riding buddy has a 1st gen 650. It's pretty quick. It surprised me. I would recommend riding one of those. They are surprising! It's easy to see why some guys swear buy them. Especially if you don't ride with a passenger. If you do have a passenger they are still really solid.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would just say that you should get the bike you want, and not settle for something less. Buyer's regret really sucks. I currently have a 2015 V2 and love it. I also had a 2006 Wee and liked it too.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
If your funds are limited go for a DL650, preferably with ABS, optional 2007 and newer, stock 2012 and newer. See if you can find a 2012 or newer in your price range. The 650 will do the trip you are planning just fine and general consensus is that the earlier 650's were preferred to the 1000's. That may now be reversed with the 2014 and newer DL1000. No need for the larger engine if you are riding alone. You can change the gearing a little to make it a better mile eater but if you ride in Canada with the given speed limits there is no need for that either. There are no good or bad years, so don't worry about that aspect.
History

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey there, I'm "curious" about the vstrom 1000. I'm 30 years old and looking to buy my first street bike (dirt biking since i was 10). The Vstrom 1000 has caught my attention. I'm mostly looking for it to be primarily a tourer, but ill ride it around the city in the summer too. Next summer I have trip planned from where I live in Alberta Canada out to east coast with my Dad and Uncle. I think this bike would fit the bill. I have $5500 Canadian to spend, looking at prices here that still puts me in a gen1. What year should I be looking for? I don't want to buy an 07 and miss out on some key updates if I had only gotten the 08 etc.. I really enjoyed youtube videos on the 2015+ vstroms, looks perfect(cant afford im an old guy university student). How different are they compared to the older ones that I can afford?
Is there a pretty big difference between the 13 and 12? Not sure I can afford the 13 on $5500

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have to agree with Blaustrom. Go ride a 650 before you decide. For $5500 you could get a 2014 or maybe newer low milage 650 with ABS from a private seller. All Stroms are great bikes but you can't deny 2014 is a major upgrade to the Vee and every year there have been improvements to both the Vee and Wee. Go for the latest model year you can get that is the best cared for bike you can find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
With you on this...Disregard the previous naysayer. My '03 DL1000 is going strong. Previous owner, up to 25k, took all the hits...Now it is singing pretty and I have a sweet ride under 30k after a year of riding it and lots of farkle and dependability.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've never been on a gen2 V. But I can tell you my '12 V is a great bike if you want to mostly tour on an adv. bike. I bought it last year and and it took from MI to Newfoundland. It handled everything great. I've gone a couple of 500 mile days in comfort. I love the looks and sound of the dual pipes. I bought mine fully outfitted, in showroom condition, with 9,000 miles on the clock (19,000 after a year) for your stated $5,500. Riding two lane highways at 55 I often get over 50 mpg (depending on the wind). On the freeway I get a solid 42-46 (again, depending on the wind. It carries my 250 lbs. and full gear for either camping or moteling. It'll run all day at any speed you wish to go. It's longevity and reliability are legendary.

Like I said, I've never been on a V2, but the V1 is a damn good bike.

KKORO

·
Vendor
4,711 Posts
Let's be specific. The systemic problems with the 2002 to 2012 DL1000 include but may not be limited to the following. I can't remember everything but I'll bet people here can help.

Buffeting and limited windscreen options, 2002 and 2003 models only,

Need for after market windscreen , all V-Stroms except adventure models

Clutch basket issues, last time I checked it was a $400 or there abouts fix. Check with Terry at Werks Performance. See vendor forums here on Stromtrooper. If you are buying used and the bike has already had the work done you are good or the life of the bike.

Anything prior to 2012, but not including the 2012 will need the rear spacer fix. Works out to $35 + postage all done, See us, Adventuretech.

Throttle body sync. Many needed this done from the factory.

Stator. The stock stators lasted about 20K miles in many cases (not all), Better replacements are available.

Suggestion: Find a bike for sale by someone here on this forum who has done what has been needed for these bikes. In that case you will be getting a well sorted reliable bike.

I would not be hesitant to tour on a DL1000 with the known problems addressed. The bike is easiiy good for 200,000 miles with a member here having one with 400,000+ miles on an engine without anything but maintenance by the owners manual.

However, I agree with the comments that you should check out the DL650. It the has been well sorted out from the start. Many of us tour with this bike coast to coast. I rode mine from WA state to Malibu CA and back wit passenger, full luggage, pulling a trailer. See my avatar. The only problem was staying beneath the speed limit. That was true two up with full luggage across Montana and the Dakotas as well. Often finding myself creeping up to 100 mph.

On all Gen 1 V-Stroms standard upgrades include an aftermarket seat, taller windscreen, fork brace, mirror extenders, and a foot peg and control lowering kit. Many of these and more will already be on a used bike from someone here on this forum. Especially someone looking to move up to a newer DL1000.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Guys, he has $5500 CDN, That's just over 4K USD.

But that is also more than twice what I paid for my 2003 Vee last fall.

Any Vstrom you will be happy with. I have a 2003 with over 100,000 km and I don't have any regrets other than I wish it was more capable offroad. I have owned somewhere around 20 bikes in my riding life, the early Vee is a solid machine that is a great compromise of abilities.

I 100% agree with everyone saying get the newest bike you can, they get improvements with time and some are significant, particularly suspension. The 1000 has more power, but the 650 gets much much better mileage, and can easily hold it's own on the highway and twisties. Basically if it says VStrom, and it's in good condition and has been maintained, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the great information. It will be really helpful moving forward this purchase. If anyones in Alberta Canada and wants to sell me a vstrom 1000 this spring, pm me.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Ride 650 first! Specially that your $5500 can get you 2012-2014 ABS model. My first V Strom was 1000 after that 9x650 (5xWee and 4xWee2). Never regretted my decision.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts