StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2008 VStrom 1000 and it has lowering link installed. I want to set it back to stock height, or a little taller, like my other VStrom. I can't find a video or any discussion on this for a 1000. Has anybody done this or if there a video or there about this?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Do you think this can be done laying the bike on it's side?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just bought a 2008 VStrom 1000 and it has lowering link installed. I want to set it back to stock height, or a little taller, like my other VStrom. I can't find a video or any discussion on this for a 1000. Has anybody done this or if there a video or there about this?

I might be interested in the lowering links when you change them---

·
Vendor
4,731 Posts
I'm sure if you think about it long enough you can come up with a better way of doing it than laying it over on its side. Like supporting the bike under the engine maybe?

The stock links are inexpensive and available form any Suzuki parts warehouse (e.g., cycle parts nation). Our instructions should be a big help no matter what links are being installed. Taking the weight off the bolts does wonders.

https://www.adventuretech.biz/dl650-and-gen-1-dl1000-raisinglowering-link-instructions.html

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure if you think about it long enough you can come up with a better way of doing it than laying it over on its side. Like supporting the bike under the engine maybe?

The stock links are inexpensive and available form any Suzuki parts warehouse (e.g., cycle parts nation). Our instructions should be a big help no matter what links are being installed. Taking the weight off the bolts does wonders.

https://www.adventuretech.biz/dl650-and-gen-1-dl1000-raisinglowering-link-instructions.html
I only thought that because I changed a flat in eastern Europe like that. I travel and don't have a home so sometimes easy is easier.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Geeze,

If you are near clover SC give me a call or PM. We can do it in my shop and you can tell me stories.

If you let people know where you are you might find similar offers.
Thanks for the offer. That is very kind of you. The closest I will be is the start of the IBR in Greenville. I'm camped up in NC now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another question. The 130's are great, tall bike. I now need a adjustable/longer sidestand to take the weight off when loaded with kit. Any ideas?
Also, has anyone done a 21 once front upgrade?
Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
There are numerous adjustable sides stands available. They are kind of pricy for what they are. I would probably leave it stock and make a shim for it, just a piece of wood that would make the bike stand more upright and at the same time displace the weight over a wider area for soft ground. Maybe something in your kit that could have another use as well?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Anyone know of a 20mm lowering link?

Hi everyone,

I figured this question is applicable to this thread.

2019 XT, the ride height is fine, all I'd like to do is bring it down about 3/4" so I'm more stable while stationary (get the heels on the ground). Anyone know of a supplier of 20mm lowering links? Here in Germany the options are 30mm and 50mm, both of which are excessive for what I want.

And no, I don't really want to shave the seat down, as mentioned the ride height and seat position is just fine.

Thanks, everyone!

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a set of these from Rick -easy enough to install and I can just about flat foot it now---used the 147mm links--3/4 "-did not lower the front at all so far and it seems to handle just fine --- sidestand works ok too and it already has a little bolt on plate to make the foot larger

·
Registered
33 Posts
20 mm is about 7/8". To lower 7/8" (20 mm) use our 148 link.

Read this first though. The less you lower the less the effect on the side stand and you may find you need to lower less that you might otherwise think.

I agree completely, I only want enough to get more of my feet on the ground at a standstill. I just went to another of the Adventuretech links posted above, there's even an 11/16" lowering link. If that fits the 2019 model then it sounds just right, less is more in my case. I don't want the DL to have the ride height of a VFR, that's what I have a VFR for :wink2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts