StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the replacement of my stator on my 09 650 (yes, Suzuki, 09!!!!), I am going to add a voltmeter with a digital readout to my accessory shelf. Will the readout be accurate if I run it through an Eastern Beaver P8 switched circuit? Or should I just get a switch and go directly to the battery? If the EB setup is going to show a low readout, what should I expect to see at 5000 rpms? I am just trying to decide which way to go here.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Assuming you don't have a ton of load on that fuse box and heavy and short connections to the battery this will work fine. In the end it is not so much the absolute readings (mine were about 14.4V on my 04 WEE) but the change. If I did not see something close to that reading I knew that I put too much load (heated gear) on the system and had to unplug (or turn off) one headlight.

You will know in a short while what your normal readings are and if there is a change when you turn on accessories. Was not the case in my setup until I started to drain the battery, so those lower readings were real. You can verify idling with a lot of load on the fusebox with a digital multimeter that there is no significant mis-reading.

They are cheap and work amazingly well, at least mine did, so a low risk improvement. In the worst case you need to get a replacement so make it not too difficult to get to it.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I would just pick one method and check the voltmeter reading against a hand held meter on the battery. If they are different, which is likely, use a correction factor. The corrected voltage at 3000rpm should be between 13.5V and 14.8V with no extra electrical load beyond stock. As long as you have more than 12.8V, the battery is charging. 12.6-12.8V is about break even and less is discharging.

·
Registered
894 Posts
My volt meter when connected to my aux plug read about 0.5v lower than my handheld meter read at the battery. I got nervous as my readings began to fluctuate. When I got home I checked with my handheld meter at the battery. This time the reading from the aux plug was 1.0v lower. I have since installed a pc8 and connected my volt meter to it. The readings are the same as at the battery but I haven't put many miles on the bike since the installation.

·
Registered
15,094 Posts
I get a slight variation between the dash meter on the dash and the meter on the battery posts. I Don't worry about it because when riding the dash unit shows I 14+ volts.
The digital meters I've gotten have been less that 6 dollars shipped. Banggood has a gob of them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a pc8 on my wee running to the voltmeter from the switched circuit. My Honda vfr doesn't have a pc8 but runs from the battery to a switch to the voltmeter. Both bikes show 14.3 or 14.4 at 5000 rpm. Go whatever route is easiest for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts