StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I bought a MOSFET R/R, but haven't worked up the nerve to try to install it. Someday...

In the meantime, I decided to install an LED voltage monitor so I can keep an eye on the condition of my charging system. I wanted something that wouldn't take up a lot of space and was persuaded by the description on the Clearwater website that their Voltage Sentry is a high quality device. So that's what I bought.

When I purchased it I wasn't really sure how I was going to install it. I came up with the idea of attaching it to the bottom of the panel that houses the gauges. Initially I planned to glue it in place, but I decided that Scotch "Super Heavy Duty" double-sided mounting tape would be a better method.

I think the pictures are pretty self-explanatory. A few notes:

• The mounting feet are 1" square 1/8" thick aluminum (from Home Depot). Their back sides are countersunk so the head of flat-head machine screw is nearly flush with the surface of the foot.
  • That's 1/4" inside diameter fuel hose taking up the space between the wire sheath (tube) and the 1/2" plastic cable clamps. The fit between the wire and the inside of the tube was too snug to allow the hose to slip over the end of the wire/light, so I slit the hose longitudinally, pulled it open along the slit, and placed the wire into the hose.
  • I used three layers of the foam tape to achieve the desired height. That seemed easier than fiddling with the position of the nuts on the machine screws.
Initially, I planned to connect it to the heated grip connector at the front of the radiator, so I had bought the connecting wire from Eastern Beaver. However, I found that there's some voltage drop--not a lot, about 0.15 volt--between the heated grip connector and the battery, so I elected to wire it directly to the battery. The Voltage Sentry has circuitry that automatically turns it off after 5 minutes, so it doesn't drain the battery.

I wish I'd been more careful about exactly where I located the hole in the panel where the LED pokes through. The clutch cable was initially right in the line of sight. I was able to coax the cable to a slightly different position so I can see the LED easily enough.

It works very well. The six different color/flash signals provide enough information about the voltage at the battery to satisfy me. I don't think I'll miss a digital display.

·
Registered
493 Posts
my datel voltmeter takes about 1/10th of the space of that thing. installed with 3m dual lock on a shelf.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
my datel voltmeter takes about 1/10th of the space of that thing. installed with 3m dual lock on a shelf.
They make LED mounting clip rings. You don't need to overkill a LED indicator.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
They make LED mounting clip rings. You don't need to overkill a LED indicator.
I agree, nice job... but I would have just glued the LED from the underside in place... Hot glue or Automotive GOOP would have worked fine...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Tough crowd!
Hey, we're not knocking you... heck, I could use your patience and creativity in some of my other projects I try to over simplify... I guess I subscribe as much as possible to the "kiss" way of thinking... :yesnod:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts