StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK after readng all the threads about voltage metering I decided it is something I need to do. When wiring in the meter is it all right to connect it to my switched Blue Seas or do I need to take it directly to the battery?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Depends on whether or not you want the voltage meter to be on all the time or just on when the bike is on.

Most people just tap it in to a handy accessory wire, headlight wire, or most any switched wire not in the ignition system. No need to run a separate wire back to your fuse panel (assuming your fuse panel is in the back someplace) but that'll work too if you want to. Mine's tapped into the hot wire that goes to my powerlet outlets.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By wiring the volage meter to a switched source will it be monitoring the "system" voltage and not just the voltage from that one switched device? As you can tell I am not an electrical type.

·
Registered
102 Posts
"Switched" means that it turns off with the ignition. When your engine is running or the key is turn on, you will "see" what the battery "sees" whether it's charging or not.

Probably better to be on a switched circuit. There's no need to drain your battery with stuff that's always powered. (except a GPS, mine is hot all the time).

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have mine wired to the Blue Sea fuse block under my seat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts