StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
We are experiencing on the 2014 Vee our voltage meter indicating the wrong Voltage. It use to always read 14.3 volts while riding. Before starting it read 12.1. About three to four weeks ago it started reading 13.1 and jumps up and down between 12.8 to 13.3 but stays averages the 13.1 most of the time. Before starting it now reads 11.1-11.3. Took it to a battery specialty manufacture and they tested everything, Battery load test as fine in very good condition 12.3 volts. Tested the charging system it was putting out 14.33 at the battery post, all good. Then went to our Suzuki dealer who did the exact same test and noted the exact same results. Both tester technicians said it looked to be a bad voltage meter displaying the information on the bike. Our dealer is going to contact Suzuki about it to see how to correct the reading. Anyone else having this type of problem. Note no accessories are hooked up or being used. We purposely unhooked everything and it didn't make any difference in the readings.

·
Registered
272 Posts
First I'd check the voltmeter negative connections. I always run both the pos and neg for the voltmeter right from the battery posts via a relay.
Second I would connect a digital meter to the voltmeter gauge terminals, put it in a visible place and go for a ride.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Have you added any new electrical components? The more stuff I added the lower it goes on the OEM display but it always stays at least 13.5-13.6 now and doesn't jump around too much. Other voltage readouts I have read above 14v constantly that go directly back to the Eastern Beaver fuse box.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's in the stock dash cluster, not an added on Voltmeter, the new Vee's come with it as a feature.

Coda, All extras have been disconnected from the system. No Accessories what so ever. Testing both way with them hooked in didn't make any difference. Yes when going along with nothing on before at 14.3 turning on equipment would lower the voltage but never down past 13.6. That would be with the heated grips, electric vest and the oiler on.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Bummer - might be a pain to change.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have the Five year warranty.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Please let us know if they cover it. They get a lot of bad raps on here on the OEM extended warranty.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
That problem sounds electrical to me, as in a loose connection someplace. Maybe your harness is worn through? I assume you had the recall done? Maybe they didn't do it right.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the recall was done and they replace the whole harness.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Volt meter readings

Well, I cannot tell the exact cause of your bike’s erratic readouts, but my bike’s “stock dash cluster” voltmeter seems to under-read somewhat. When it shows a constant 14.1 – 14.2 Volts on the dash, it is more like 14.6 Volts when I measure it with a digital multi-meter directly on the battery poles. That is without the heated grips (my only added-on electrical accessory) switched on.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After, however we put about 1000 miles on the bike with the new harness before this started. We have put another 1,500 on the bike with this problem. I'm awaiting my dealer to contact Suzuki about it with a response. They were supposed to have called Suzuki last Tuesday. We've heard nothing from the dealer. Probably going to have to pursue this like so many other things we have had to do with Suzuki.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I might check the new harness connections everywhere. The small Suzuki dealership that I let work on my bike complains about Suzuki a lot and just eats it for the customers often. Suzuki does need to improve their warranty process IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts