StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a volt meter installed on your vee and start to have charging or output problems, what does that look like on the meter? A low constant voltage? Or no voltage and then normal and back and forth? What do you look for on the volt meter? Is there a way to tell from the volt meter if the issue is stator or regulator?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I'm fighting this as we speak !!.Check out my thread "dead battery again".I'm just about ready to call it qiuits and sell the bike !!.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did

Yes I read your thread. With my situation, I installed 35 watt HID headlights. Now I smell something hot. While I do not have a volt meter, I have a Garmin GPS wired to the bike. While underway the GPS shuts down (looses wired power) and asks me if I want to continue on GPS battery or turn off the unit. Before I can press the yes or no the power comes back on. Then within a minute or so goes through the same thing. I hope I have an issue with the regulator, and not the stator (easier to change). How does one know if it is the stator, regulator, magnets now out of place, which I heard can happen. I have a trip planned through Yellowstone but I have to get this sorted out first.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
If you smell burning then you are letting out the magic smoke that makes it work.

ALL Connections and switches are suspect. Any high resistance contact can make this happen, Any plug set. The other classic is poor grounding.

Though it is a 2 wire system tracing down the negative side distribution

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
There are a series of tests outlined in the service manual. See http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-tech-farkles/51154-charging-system-woes-2004-dl1000.html for some of the values.

A voltmeter on the bike will show 12.6-12.8V to be in equilibrium. Less and the battery is discharging, more and the battery is charging. See http://www.stromtrooper.com/techy-w...-menu-zumo-get-voltmeter-thermometer-out.html for the voltmeter function on the Zumo. Be aware earlier Zumo cradles had connection problems to the GPS so the bike can be working okay and the Zumo still dropping out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If the only indication of a voltage problem you are seeing is with the GPS unit, I suggest you check the converter that is in-line on power to the GPS. Some units will fail and cause what you have described. What happens in the converted: There is a coil that is not properly mounted on the circuit board, it shakes and the wire breaks but stays close enough to make contact. I sounds like there may be other problems as well since the broken wire on the converter would not cause the odor you are experiencing. Good luck!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found it

Turns out there was a fault in the after market wiring, mine. The wire supplying the GPS was failing but not completely apart yet. With the help of the GPS volt reading, (thanks Greywolf) I was able to find it. After repairing I went for a ride, with the GPS hidden menu screen up. At 4,000 RPM the numbers I saw the most were 13.41 or 13.54 volts. I suspect it would be higher, but I am using the small gauge (22 I think) wiring that came with the Garmin. Interestingly, when I roll the throttle down towards idle, the volts increase, to about 13.80. It will show 13.77 to 13.80 while sitting at idle. Must be the logic of the regulator? At any rate I have a new moffset regulator on the way, with HID lighting and heated gear this will be a good upgrade anyway. Thanks everyone for their input, this forum is invaluable.:hurray:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Yes I read your thread. With my situation, I installed 35 watt HID headlights. Now I smell something hot. While I do not have a volt meter, I have a Garmin GPS wired to the bike. While underway the GPS shuts down (looses wired power) and asks me if I want to continue on GPS battery or turn off the unit. Before I can press the yes or no the power comes back on. Then within a minute or so goes through the same thing. I hope I have an issue with the regulator, and not the stator (easier to change). How does one know if it is the stator, regulator, magnets now out of place, which I heard can happen. I have a trip planned through Yellowstone but I have to get this sorted out first.
I would look at the connection between the Garmin and the bike closely before you dig deeper. I have seen this issue with several motorcycles and it has always been the cigarette lighter adapter vibrating and loosing connection intermittently. On one bike, the way I resolved it was by using a rubber band to hold the plug in tightly. Another way around it on other bikes was to change to a Powerlet usb adapter and plug the Garmin in via usb which creates a whole different issue on some Garmins as they try to go into data mode and it haves to be overridden to make the Garmin work properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts