StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations on Volt meters. What brand and where is best place to find at a good price? Would appreciate your help. I saw the thread on volt meters ...couldn't discern a particular model/brand. Then again...I'm Polish.

·
Registered
28 Posts
ebay has all sorts of voltmeters, just search motorcycle voltmeter. All my bikes (7) have 'em from ebay. I have a couple from China and they work just fine. And all are pretty accurate (+-.1-.2v) when compared with expensive multimeter.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
When doing my search I couldn't discern any difference from the $8 and $80 ones though marine/bike units cost a bit more because of weatherproofing. I was finding better prices on Amazon with shipping. Still haven't pulled the trigger as its snowy and I likely won't be riding for 2 months.

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
I have the one eagleeye has, it is very accurate and works great.

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Vendor
4,734 Posts
IMHO.....

The best DC digital volt meter is the Datel. DATEL DC Voltmeters

However, any digital volt meter will quietly change digits on its read out. Unless you just happen to look at it you could be in a discharge situation for quite a while.

The best battery/voltage monitor for a motorcycle IMO is the Signal Dynamics Batter Monitor. Unlike a digital volt meter it goes "bright" to get the riders attention when needed. It also cost less than the Datel and is much easier to install.

Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor - AdventureTech, LLC.

The cheap Chinese volt meters are very popular, but they can not be read in direct sunlight and are definetley not water proof. The Datel and SDVM are waterproof and reliable.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Hey Rick, I'm interested in that volt meter but was wondering if the wires are long enough to mount the led into the front of the bike underneath the gauges in the plastic side panels. Do you know how many feet the wires are?

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
I had that Datel voltage minder, I found it to be quite distracting "and not accurate per my Fluke meter" and was personally not a fan. Seems to be perfect for many, so it is a good option as well.
And my cheap eBay meter has been very waterproof and quite easy to read unless the sun is at my bike.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've always had a Datel, or I think it's the same one from Add-On for less money. Some of the Chinese ones aren't bright enough. The Signal Dynamics is good, might try one. I like to see a digital display, but maybe I'll get over it.......... and the idea is, IMHO don't try to compare to your Fluke ....... a tenth or two isn't gonna mean anything given all the variables of wire used, power source, distance, etc. It will just drive you nuts so stress less, ride more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts