StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get some new brake pads and after searching around I found the cheapest by far were made by Volar. The set is like $30 for both fronts and the rear, sintered HH. Has anyone tried these and what did you think of the quality? Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Your's is the third time I recall someone asking for info on these, but no responses...has anyone tried them and lived to report about them?.......:jawdrop:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Brake pads are like tyres, they're the only thing between you and the side of that truck that just pulled out in front of you. If you think the cheapest thing on the market is the right choice for a life-critical job, that's up to you. Personally, I figure quality control costs money and you always get, at most, what you pay for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For science, if nothing else!

OK, no one seems to have tried these, or at least cares to share their experiences, so I'm going to get them myself. I will post how their performance fares after using them for a bit. I'm certainly not afraid to get rid of them if they suck, not much invested anyway!

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Alas, poor landscapegoat. We hardly knew him. Requiescat in pace. :cryin:

But seriously -- be careful and let us know. I've tried cheapo brake pads on other bikes and been very disappointed. But maybe these Volar pads are different.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Testing inititated

So, for the good of all, I have installed the Volar pads on the front of my '07 650. After the initial brake in period of very light braking, I've tried some firmer stops and had a good response. They do have a bit of a squeak but after limited miles I have no reason not to trust them to be able to stop me. I plan to try them in a parking lot soon and really see how they grab. Also going to monitor the discs for excessive wear. I will let all know if there are any significant changes in the near future. Optimistic so far,

-Mark

·
Registered
860 Posts
I had a good experience with a Volar chain I bought in a pinch. It lasted almost 12k miles until it prematurely died last week due to neglect after a series of rains. Until I let it rust it had very little stretch, never lost any o-rings, and the rollers looked great. Completely blew me away for a $55USD chain. And let me tell you, I've dumped the clutch on that thing a number of times and it took it like a champ.

That was one chain, so I don't know if that was the rule or the exception. But when I was looking for info on the chain, I could only find one real thread about them. The OP had an issue with the rollers cracking, but also stated an OEM chain he put on after did the exact same thing. Volar contacted him, and gave him a prototype chain with thicker rollers for free.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the volar pads on the rear of my dr650 and they have done great good initial takeup and no fade. Most of the times you get what you pay for and sometimes you actually find a good product at a incredible price

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
I bought two sets of rears from China last year for under $20. They are on the bike still and working fine after more than 10K km. I still have the second set in a drawer. I don't use my rear brake very much.

I put EBC on the front. I didn't want to chance the pads failing when really needed.

The quality of these rear pads appears to be excellent BTW. No idea what brand they are. The box is all in Chinese.

·
Administrator
17,410 Posts
I try to keep as much Chinese off my Japanese bike as possible.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I seem to recall using some Volar part....perhaps oil filter at one point. No issues as I recall. I did purchase rear pads from Sixity Powersports earlier this year. I actually bought them from eBay but when received saw their website. I can go back and check my old purchases but recall them to be under $10 (rear only) in Metallic Sintered Bronze. They offered a couple other materials. I've used them under various conditions and can easily modulate the rears from smooth and steady stops to causing ABS to kick in when testing a panic stop. I'll consider them for fronts and rears again when needed. Oh yeah, I believe their eBay store charges shipping, direct website link has free shipping.

Rick

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and after some time

So after using the Volar pads for several weeks and even trying some controlled maximum brakings, I am pretty happy with the performance. I get a bit of squeaking but the bike sure slows down in a hurry. I was never super impressed with the stock setup on the V-strom when I first got the bike, but maybe thats because I was used to full sportbikes. I don't notice any less braking power with the Volars and definitely better than the old used up pads that were on there. Right now I would buy them again, I'll see how they stand up in the long term.

-Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your's is the third time I recall someone asking for info on these, but no responses...has anyone tried them and lived to report about them?.......:jawdrop:
I have used 3 sets of Volar brake pads on my 2011 Wee so far. Their Kevlar pads work well when dry but leave a bit to be desired in a heavy downpour but still haven't let me down. On the other hand, their HH Sintered are awesome both wet and dry. They just are hard to come by lately from D2Moto. Overall, I have been pleasantly surprised at these especially for the price. I use my bike for commuting everyday 70 miles round-trip and will purchase more of them in the future. I have used them for about 40,000 miles but change them frequently and don't keep track: so I don't have info on longevity. I usually change them when they wear to about 50% just for the heck of it and to improve brake feel. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I used several sets of the Volar kevlar pads on on my thumpers, and were always very happy with the performance. Never an issue, and they got filthy, wet, abused.

I have a set on the Wee right now, but they're only about a month old so I can't speak to longevity. If there's a difference in stopping power from the set that were on it, I can't feel it. No noise yet either.

They go very well with my Shinko tires that some guys still won't run because they're not expensive enough. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts