StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a great 4hr ride today, mainly to test the VistaCruise.
I was diagnosed some time back with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, not as bad as it sounds, but it results in my hands 'going to sleep' while I ride. I had to find a way to let my throttle hand dangle for thirty seconds or so, hence the throttle lock.
As I have Oxford heated grips and BarkBuster guards I wasn't sure if I could install it safely. However, it works perfectly - now I can plan longer rides.
I have had to sacrifice some throttle grip length, luckily I don't have large hands (Yeah I know, 'small hands, small heart' - or something like that?).

Sharp eyes will have noticed the custom spacer precision made from a Papermate Flexigrip Ultra

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I have the same throttle lock on my 08 with Oxfords and it works a treat,just nice to lock on on a long stretch and give the right hand a spell,I find that after the initial lock I have to roll on a tad and then it maintains set speed,such a simple but effective device,good that it has added to your riding enjoyment and possibly prolonged such,cheers mate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My '06 Wee came with heated grips, factory hand guards and a Kaoko throttle lock.

I find I'm not using it, seems like somewhat of a pain to put it on and off, and doesn't really hold the speed anyway, subject to hills, etc.

On one of my older bikes I just used a Caterpillar diesel O-ring between the grip and the bar end weight. That worked just as good, and was easier to activate.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I had the same setup in the bike I trashed but with HotGrips. My custom spacer was a piece of aluminum rod with electrical tape for color. I'm much happier with the CCS-100 electronic cruise control though. Even the NEP-CC4 works as well as the Vista Cruise and leaves more room but I rarely use it since the CCS-100 took over. Whatever method is used, having a fatter grip and a way to stop fighting the throttle return spring is much better than stock.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whatever method is used, having a fatter grip and a way to stop fighting the throttle return spring is much better than stock.
Thanks Pat.
I was considering trying oversize grips to add a little more length to the throttle grip, but I'm not sure how that would affect the heating? I've never had to use more than the medium setting anyway.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The Oxfords are fatter than stock. I have Grip Puppies and they pass the heat fine. It just takes a little longer to get the heat started.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
My '06 Wee came with heated grips, factory hand guards and a Kaoko throttle lock.

I find I'm not using it, seems like somewhat of a pain to put it on and off, and doesn't really hold the speed anyway, subject to hills, etc.

On one of my older bikes I just used a Caterpillar diesel O-ring between the grip and the bar end weight. That worked just as good, and was easier to activate.
The vista nor the Kaoko are cruise control.I treat them only as a means of a short rest for the right hand on a long stretch,just wriggle the fingers/sit the hand on the tank for a spell and they roll off easily when locked,those clip on $5 rockers are dangerous.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The vista nor the Kaoko are cruise control.I treat them only as a means of a short rest for the right hand on a long stretch,just wriggle the fingers/sit the hand on the tank for a spell and they roll off easily
I agree. Though I did use it like a cruise-control for a while on a long straight stretch of Hwy 1, held 120km/hr nicely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts