StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read good and bad on both. I have a dealer installed heated grip. Can anyone make a recommendation which one to buy?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have only used the Go Cruise style as mentioned above... Have liked it so far!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Vista Cruise

I had a Go Cruise. I did not like it at all. Was seriously thinking about doing the full -blown car cruise control, but wanted to wait until Winter, so I didn't miss any riding weather. The Go Cruise was pretty useless, it was so cumbersome, that I rarely even used it.

I read good things about the Vista Cruise & decided to try it until the Winter. I installed it at the same time I added Tusk grip heaters & foam grips. I couldn't be happier. I wasn't expecting much, as it basically works as the same principal as the Go Cruise. However, the Vista Cruise FAR exceeds my experience with the Go Cruise. It is so good that I am no longer considering doing the real cruise control.

I have the Go Cruise on another bike now. It does work well enough if you just need to stretch your right arm, but requires more dexterity than I possess to use it very often.

The problem with any of these type throttle locks is they have to be constantly "tweaked" to maintain a constant speed unless the road has zero changes in grade. That is what seperates Vista Cruise from Go Cruise. Small adjustments to keep a constant speed are very easy & precise with the Vista.

BTW - I have no experience with the NEP.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Both the NEP and Vista are friction type but they don't have to be reset like the go cruise does it you change throttle position. I had an NEP on the 2007 and a Universal Vista on the 2005. Each required a little tweaking to fit and each worked as well as the other. The Vista is available in the Universal that has an arm across the switch housing or as a very similar unit to the NEP.

Universal Vista Cruise on my 2005

Vista Cruise with Hot Grips by Greywolf, V-Strom rider, on Flickr

NEP on my 2007

dl650A right handlebar closeup by Greywolf, V-Strom rider, on Flickr

The "other" Vista Cruise from http://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom...sions/75315-problem-vista-cruise-control.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
Vista Universal Cruise Control

Everything I said earlier was about the Vista UNIVERSAL Cruise Control. Sorry if I confused anyone. I didn't realize there was another Vista.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I had a Go Cruise. I did not like it at all. Was seriously thinking about doing the full -blown car cruise control, but wanted to wait until Winter, so I didn't miss any riding weather. The Go Cruise was pretty useless, it was so cumbersome, that I rarely even used it.

I read good things about the Vista Cruise & decided to try it until the Winter. I installed it at the same time I added Tusk grip heaters & foam grips. I couldn't be happier. I wasn't expecting much, as it basically works as the same principal as the Go Cruise. However, the Vista Cruise FAR exceeds my experience with the Go Cruise. It is so good that I am no longer considering doing the real cruise control.

I have the Go Cruise on another bike now. It does work well enough if you just need to stretch your right arm, but requires more dexterity than I possess to use it very often.

The problem with any of these type throttle locks is they have to be constantly "tweaked" to maintain a constant speed unless the road has zero changes in grade. That is what seperates Vista Cruise from Go Cruise. Small adjustments to keep a constant speed are very easy & precise with the Vista.

BTW - I have no experience with the NEP.

The Go Cruise seems pretty easy to use to me, just set it with your index finger. It disengages by just rolling the throttle foward. Also you have free throttle movement past your set point, handy for passing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Kaoko = hassel

I put on a Kaoko and its a pain to use. When my hands sleeping, twisting down the bar-end nut with my pinky is very difficult, and twisting it back up is also a pain. I wish i'd gotten another type now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have had a Vista Cruise on several bikes and the NEP on the DL1K. I guess I liked the way the Vista Cruise works better than the NEP. You should know that a Vista Cruise (or NEP) will require some mods, as they are not designed for this bike (or any bike these days). Typically, you will need to smooth the throttle tube near the switch housing for a good operation (there always seems to be some plastic ridge that gets in the way).

I have a Go Cruise too. It's OK - it was useful when I rode the bike up after picking it up in LA given that it requires no setup, but eventually, I decided I much prefer the way a Vista Cruise and installed one of those on the 650 too.

Gustavo

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just installed the NEP, it takes some time as you need to grind off the ridge closest to the throttle housing to make enough room. I used the CC-3 model (for Honda, square tab designed to go between dual cables) as I knew I would have to make a bracket to have the thumb latch / release in the right position. Having the square tab allows for easier connection to your bracket.

I have always used NEP as they are thinner than Vista, and sometimes fit without modification. In this case, after you grind the ridge of the throttle tube, a Vista would fit and does look a bit sturdier than NEP.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had the throttle lock style cruise on my TW200 and it worked well. I bought the KAOKO for my '12 DL650 and like it equally. It is tough to use at times, but affords much more room for my throttle hand when wearing bulky gloves. All-in-all, I would vote that the KAOKO is better than the traditional style simply on the fact that the space for my throttle hand is prime real estate!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just installed the NEP, it takes some time as you need to grind off the ridge closest to the throttle housing to make enough room. I used the CC-3 model (for Honda, square tab designed to go between dual cables) as I knew I would have to make a bracket to have the thumb latch / release in the right position. Having the square tab allows for easier connection to your bracket.

I have always used NEP as they are thinner than Vista, and sometimes fit without modification. In this case, after you grind the ridge of the throttle tube, a Vista would fit and does look a bit sturdier than NEP.

Hi- Thank you for your pictures re the NEP install. If you still have this bike can you please take a picture of under the throttle where the cable holders on the NEP attach to your bracket? I just purchased a DL650 and that is my first mod. Also it looks like you used plumbers tape for the bracket?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Both the NEP and Vista are friction type but they don't have to be reset like the go cruise does it you change throttle position. I had an NEP on the 2007 and a Universal Vista on the 2005. Each required a little tweaking to fit and each worked as well as the other. The Vista is available in the Universal that has an arm across the switch housing or as a very similar unit to the NEP.

Universal Vista Cruise on my 2005

Vista Cruise with Hot Grips by Greywolf, V-Strom rider, on Flickr

NEP on my 2007

dl650A right handlebar closeup by Greywolf, V-Strom rider, on Flickr

The "other" Vista Cruise from problem with Vista cruise control

Dear Grey Wolf- Can you please provide some details on how you modified your NEP to fit. I am in the process of installing one and would like to save some modification time or perhaps leverage your solution and improve it. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Dear Grey Wolf- Can you please provide some details on how you modified your NEP to fit. I am in the process of installing one and would like to save some modification time or perhaps leverage your solution and improve it. Thank you.
Greywolf is not around any more

1 - 14 of 14 Posts