StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
I think this was an honest review and this writers opinion. I believe anyone who purchases the Vee knows what they are getting. It isn't too difficult to figure out.Personally, the GS and
k.t.m. are too much bike for me. In addition, I do not regularly go off road. When I sat on the Vee2 at the NY IMS, it felt very similar to my Wee. I am expecting the Vee2 to be close to my Wee, with more power and a few more toys - we shall see.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Seems it's not so much a bike review as it is a review or critique of Suzuki's marketing plans and position in the ADV market in general. I'd really rather read about the bike then listen to some pundit's opinion on market segments and potential demographics etc etc.

I bet years from now we'll look back on claims that the bike can't/won't be ridden off road, and laugh...

At least when the author did take time write about the bike, the verdict was "it's good". All I need to know.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Seems it's not so much a bike review as it is a review or critique of Suzuki's marketing plans and position in the ADV market in general. I'd really rather read about the bike then listen to some pundit's opinion on market segments and potential demographics etc etc.
Agreed. Many moto-journalists are more than a bit jaded. They like the exotic and shun the affordable. For example, even though new multi-strada doesn't even pretend to be an off-the-pavement bike, journalists (and publications) routinely compare it to the GS. Yet, no one is complaining because mult-strada has zero single-track capability. They like it because it is fun to ride.

Fun to ride and affordable is good too...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I thought the writer gave a decent overall assessment given the length of article. I've seen some writers use twice as many words and say 1/2 as much.

The two things that kind of surprised me were the following quotes:

"... It also feels quite revyy,..."

and

"...It feels like the 228kg long-legged tourer it is.Actually I’d have guess it weighed more. ...."

If anything I've read from other early reviews was that the thing wasn't a revver -- more of a low rpm torquer -- and that it felt amazingly light and small for the segment.

Of course it's been said many times in many places, but you just have to go ride a bike and feel for yourself.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Come on, give this tester a brake, he is from the UK. Jugdment can be altered when you get only 2 days of sun per year :lol1:

(This is a joke. I'm jealous of my friends in the UK. They can ride in January)

·
Registered
158 Posts
"At 99hp, it’s a whole league down from Ducati’s 150hp Multistrada and KTM’s 148hp 1190 Adventure"

Or put another way. You'll be riding just the same where you normally ride anyway, it's just the .1% of the time you may want to do a little blat will be blatting a bit slower.

"There’s no pretence of it having any real off-road potential, unlike BMW’s R1200GS or KTM’s 990 Adventure"

Pretence? Should Suzuki pretend more?

"but if there were a cheaper edition with no traction control, I’d probably take my chances"

But it's OK for BMW and KTM to charge big bucks for even more modes.

"Personally, I have never got on a bike and thought ‘This is good, but what it really needs is a pair of fog lights."

Translation...I have never ridden a GS at night out of the city.

"The second, alternative thing I wish they had done is be the Suzuki of old. The marque that brought us the GSX-R1000, the Hayabusa, the RGV250"

Translation, Please Suzuki. Jack up a Busa and make it look ADV trendy and pretend more about it being a real ADV bike.

So basically he has no sizzle to talk about, it's all steak.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I think as Strommers, we are forgetting these reviewers are testing...a V-Strom, albeit a very nicely updated one at that. And we, of course, don't have issue with Stroms, knowing they are a very good basic bike. Less basic now though than before.

If the reviewer is trying to make the comparison to more expensive bikes (and it seems like some of them have), I think that is where some of the "I'm not-so-impressed with this or that" comments start to come in. It's not really fair in a way, because this bike is not those bikes sort of thing, IMO. But rated for what it is on its own, I think it's probably a very good bike, and many reviewers have said basically that. But it is kind of difficult in a way to review in the ADV category, because it seems like some of the other bikes out now are in a different class. Reviewers are going to naturally point out differences, just like buyers will. In spite of that, this bike will make many new owners perfectly happy with what they are getting. Still, we shouldn't be shocked someone will think differently and see flaws or shortcomings where we do not. It will be interesting to see how much people in their various countries will be willing to pay for this new model.

·
Registered
865 Posts
It'll be more interesting IMO when they start doing group tests with the newest vee.

Groups like "same price point", "same power", "same marketing segment" because then we can see how it compares to alternatives. For sure it'll get voted down when 99% of testers compare it to the other 1 litre plus "adventure" bikes as most have a few CC's and quite a bit more horsepower and more electronic toys to cope with the extra power. The interesting ones (to me) will be the similar horsepower and price ones as then its comparing pears v pears and apples v apples and not potatoes v passion fruit.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Another very english review. :thumbdown:

I think in the future they should just post this:

:green_lol:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
How refreshing to read a review that isn't total suck-up piece.

Stoop, as far as being a critique on Suzuki's marketing, I welcome that, it's fair game.

If the reviewer doesn't think that the product performs as advertized, he's obliged to inform the public. Price is very much a part of the marketing and likewise can end up being quite different depending on the dealer.

There are few products where selling an image is as important as motorcycling, just ask the Fetish Pirate on your block.

I think the review encourages the potential buyer to bargain hard on the DL1000 to add some pricing daylight between it and it's more capable competition.

Zedex, get over it, your great, great, great grandfather had a right to complain but imagine if he'd paid his taxes, your riding season would be so much shorter, your complexion so much pastier and you wouldn't have a taste for 'roo kabobs.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I personally would compare the new Vee with the Kawasaki Versys 1000, Moto Guzzi Stelvio, Triumph Tiger 1200, although at the same price point it is only the Versys that is in the same class. Having owned shaft driven bikes for the last 20 years, I'm not going to enjoy the chain replacement issue and maintenance that comes with these........ but only a moot point. So what it's 'only' got 100 horses, more than enough for normal highway, even autobahn speeds, anything over 130mph on anything this tall is not great. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
646 Posts

Stoop, as far as being a critique on Suzuki's marketing, I welcome that, it's fair game.

If the reviewer doesn't think that the product performs as advertized, he's obliged to inform the public. Price is very much a part of the marketing and likewise can end up being quite different depending on the dealer.

There are few products where selling an image is as important as motorcycling, just ask the Fetish Pirate on your block.

I think the review encourages the potential buyer to bargain hard on the DL1000 to add some pricing daylight between it and it's more capable competition.

Zedex, get over it, your great, great, great grandfather had a right to complain but imagine if he'd paid his taxes, your riding season would be so much shorter, your complexion so much pastier and you wouldn't have a taste for 'roo kabobs.
What!! :yikes:
Are you saying that all Australians are from a criminal heritage :jawdrop:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
What!! :yikes:
Are you saying that all Australians are from a criminal heritage :jawdrop:
Not really, the first British settlers just revealed an unflattering truth about the Royals' intra-familial sexual practices.

Having devised a system of trick questions that makes it virtually impossible to not cheat even just a little bit on one's taxes, King George 3.0 decided it was time to employ a little selective law enforcement. (See "Why Weed is Illegal" elsewhere on this forum).

America was settled voluntarily by people who chose to leave the island instead of being forced off the island a few years later to a different island called "Australia". This was concurrent with the birth of the United States, in fact Australia is just a simple misspelling of "A Trial USA".

That's why Americans are more arrogant and the Australian are more, shall we say, "sensitive".

Worse yet (as if sensitivity were a negative trait) are the New Zealanders, especially if an obese American in shorts and a three-sizes-too-small tee shirt sucking on an ice cream cone mistakes a Kiwi for an Australian. They will remind you ad nauseum that they are not Australian and "Thank you very much I don't need my hat brim flattened" and "That may be a knife but this is a rock."

So I understand but do not support Zed's claim that the reviewer has it in for Suzuki because Australia has a closer economic relationship to Japan than Mother England and all the Britsh bikes built in India.

Next month tune in to: "India Pale Ale (IPA to texters), the Subcontinet's Only Notable Contribution to Brewing and What this Means to Bavarians Eating Currywurst."

·
Registered
899 Posts
If the reviewer doesn't think that the product performs as advertized, he's obliged to inform the public.
Hmm, I thought that Suzuki was very clear in their advertisements and promotion of the vee2: 95% pavement touring.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Hmm, I thought that Suzuki was very clear in their advertisements and promotion of the vee2: 95% pavement touring.
At least in the colonies.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

That's a good and fair point. I agree that the bike has been marketed in a way that strongly indicates off-road, certainly "off-pavement" use; what with plenty of promo shots on dirt roads, even in the promotional video, and, I think, there was a show display at one point with the bike parked in a little diorama-like scene with dirt, rocks and brush strewn around. So if Suzuki is doing an about-face to the press saying the bike is not intended for off-pavement use now, I can see it as a point well worth bringing up. As in, WTF?

That being said, I'm wondering what, besides a few obvious add-ons like protection equipment, intrinsically makes this bike any less of an adventure bike than originally portrayed, or less off-road worthy than the preceding model? It seems to have good ground clearance Clarence, except for perhaps the low-slung muffler, and the stock Battlewings are off-pavement capable, maybe not as much as Trailwings, but neither is a great offroad tire. I certainly intend to take mine on plenty of fire roads and such, there can be no other way to own a V-Strom IMHO. So what I'm left with is the gut suspicion that any change in stance regarding the intended use of the bike might be due to some eleventh-hour corporate policy or liability concern that made its way into the contents of the press kit. "Let's keep these hooligan bike reviewers off the trails around here so they don't dump the bike and give us a bad review". I dunno.

I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of a world where V-Strom owners won't be taking their bikes off-road or off-pavement. It just seems inevitable, a birthright and expectation of any bike bearing the name and taking up the UJM Swiss-Army-Bike staff if you will, thus the discussion about is-it-or-isn't it seems moot, admittedly just to me. I do hope to not be wrong about that.

Not to be long-winded about it or anything though. Gonna be a long time 'til Spring for sure...

·
Registered
899 Posts
So what I'm left with is the gut suspicion that any change in stance regarding the intended use of the bike might be due to some eleventh-hour corporate policy or liability concern that made its way into the contents of the press kit. "Let's keep these hooligan bike reviewers off the trails around here so they don't dump the bike and give us a bad review". I dunno.
May be truer than you know. A staff rider from Bike Mag in the UK was killed on the press launch ride on the new R1200GS water-cooled, during an off-road riding segment.

My riding buddy's son bought Yamaha 450 dirt bike. Of course, wanted the power. Then he found that his buddies on their 250's were riding circles around him and were not as tired at the end of the day as he was. So Dad ended up buying the 450 so he could trade down.

Anything is rideable on dirt if the rider is up to the job. Most of the reviewers have not ridden the vee2 on dirt at all, or maybe a few minutes on an unpaved road.

Basically, I'm thinking that lighter= better. And the vee2 is lighter than many. But then, people load them up with accessories anyway, so it becomes a moot point. It's still a 1000cc bike no matter what.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
May be truer than you know. A staff rider from Bike Mag in the UK was killed on the press launch ride on the new R1200GS water-cooled, during an off-road riding segment.
That very event is what feeds my gut-level suspicion.

Ya just never know.

Unless you're naturally paranoid. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
175 Posts
The KTM 1190 was released to the US media last fall. It also was a tarmac-only test ride.

I believe this is to keep the bikes from getting trashed by over-enthusiastic dirt riding and to avoid the same tragedy that befell Kevin Ash on the GS last year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts