StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

This morning, immediately after starting up my cold Vee, I noticed that there was visible exhaust coming from the left muffler, but not from the right. I had one of those "oh s#$% I've bought a lemon" moments. I am used to seeing visible exhuast coming from my other bikes when cold but they all had single mufflers, and I couldnt think of a legitimate reason for only one of the Vee's mufflers to be showing exhaust.

Anyway, by the time I got to work and the engine was fully warmed up there was no visible exhaust from either muffler, which has put my mind at ease. The bike is running beautifully, btw.

But my curiosity persists, is this expected behaviour from a cold Vee engine? And if so, what causes it?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
It's typical of all DL1000s. I think it's that the left pipe is lower and gathers condensation. Whatever the cause, they all do it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey Strange Dog,
This is a common "issue". My dl1000 does it too. If it helps to put your mind at ease mechanically, feel for the back pressure coming from the exhaust by putting your hand over it. Feeling that they are equal pressure was a relief for me and is a big indicator of good compression (with out doing a compression test, which would be really easy...just go to Napa, Oreilly or Autozone) of your engine.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thats good to hear. My bike sits in a damp underground garage, which I guess would mean more condensation than normal.

The pipes definately hammer out a lot of gas, I get hit in the face with it every now and then when I unhook my helmet from my lisence plate helmet lock :)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
All stock DL1000 dual pipers do it. Further feedback is redundant.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Mine has done it from day one but as the other DL1000 owner indicated, ONLY when it's on the side stand. Most four cylinder inlines and even parallel twins do it when on the side stand(but they are sometimes burning oil which has wept), those with upswept pipes, such as the old CL honda's moreso. I have a garage full of various bikes and while it can't be seen with the two strokes, the four strokers make it pretty evident.

jeff

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Hey, has anyone mentioned "dey all do dat"? :mrgreen:

The solution, obviously, is to ride more so that the bike never cools off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Do they all do that?

(sorry) Thanks Strange Dog...new to the V Strom and bought a used one. Yeah, it smoked out of the left pipe, too. Rode fine, ran fine, but...........Now I know.

·
Registered
151 Posts
it looks to me that the exhaust routing is more efficient on one side than the others. If you take a look at the exhaust collector, you'll see that they are merged (2 into 1 into 2) but it's more an equilibrating pipe than anything

the rear cylinder flow is easier toward left muffler. the front cylinder flow is easier toward right muffler. The front cylinder can flow more or less easily into the left muffler, however, the rear cylinder do not have a natural path to the right muffler

1 - 14 of 14 Posts