StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So had a close call on a rainy ride home on Bronx River parkway in NY. Got some reflective black stickers to put on my bike, camera flash images images attached. Anything else you guys can recommend, or have done, that don't require a construction outfit.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,228 Posts
That's the route I take when getting a new bike, plaster some reflective stuff back there. Reflective bits on the riding garb too.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hyper-lite 3 way CA brake lights for the back and LED spot lights for the front put a stop to not being scene for me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,055 Posts
I think a hi-vis and reflective helmet is really critical.

Especially on a tall bike like the Vstrom.....it really makes you stand out....realized that when watching for my buddy his brilliant yellow Hi-viz helmet was so easy to spot and because the rider moves their head - reflectors tend to flash with that movement.

·
Premium Member
7,134 Posts
3M also makes a black reflective material you can buy in strips or sheets. Looks black in day light but reflects white at night

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
High vis vest. There will be stores selling safety gear, make sure it has decent front closures.

I wear them late Autumn/early winter, early spring here. I start work early and the lighting seems to make me invisible otherwise. The need to wear that determined by assholes trying to change lanes on top of me.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Side and rear reflectors are great. Just remember that while oncoming about the only thing that can be seen is your lights. Adding two aux lights creating a triangle effect is proven effective attention getter( along with SMIDSY).

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm an advocate for making oneself as visible as possible. I wear a solid hi-viz yellow helmet and gloves, and a jacket with about 50% hi-viz accents. I'm considering having the Wee's beak wrapped in hi-viz reflective film. I probably look like a construction worker, but I also look like a policeman. I can tell you it works. I see numerous doubletakes from drivers, with many of them at intersections beginning to roll and then stopping abruptly.

I'm glad to see the stores selling more hi-viz stuff. I think it reflects a change in our approach to safety. I see a lot of riders who look pretty cool but just don't show up very well. A white helmet is a good start. I think the reflectives are great at night but don't add much in daylight. The black tapes that flash red or white are great if you want to keep a low profile in daylight, but I'm over that. I'm not showing off, just showing up.

I've been scared off motorcycling several times in my life and I'm still here. This time I'm going to use every advantage I can get. We've never had so many distracted drivers, which translates to excuses for their awful driving. With the biggest excuse being "I just didn't see him", I'm doing my best to take away that one. Sorry if this sounds like a safety sermon, just my common sense approach to offensive driving. DD

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hi Viz Yellow riding gear is the way to go. The more the better :thumbup:

Reactions: iamsmiling

·
Registered
238 Posts
Iamsmiling and Pirate650 have mentioned the 3M black reflective film - it's also called 'Tailbrights' by some vendors. Google that and you will find the stuff. You can also visit a truck parts store (as opposed to an Auto Parts store). Look for the 3M ultra reflective white/silver strips that are about 2" x 12" and cost around a buck, or a $1.50. This is a peel and stick reflective strip that is permanent (Oops, you are in my old stomping grounds - price might be a LOT higher.)

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Side and rear reflectors are great. Just remember that while oncoming about the only thing that can be seen is your lights. Adding two aux lights creating a triangle effect is proven effective attention getter( along with SMIDSY).

Agree but I think yellow aux lights are better. I've seen some riders with bright white aux lights that just make a big blob o light coming at you.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi-viz vest and a hi-viz (or even better, white) helmet.
True story.... I ride a white on black L2 650A and wear a hi-viz jacket and pants and a white open face helmet with a Sena comm with microphone. People often think I'm a cop. I've had cars pull over if i happen to follow them around a corner. Or they'll slow down. I've had had people at the side of the road exchanging information after a fender bender see me and wave frantically thinking I'm a cop.
Look like a cop and people notice you.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Agree but I think yellow aux lights are better. I've seen some riders with bright white aux lights that just make a big blob o light coming at you.
Many of the white aux lights need a dimmer. Otherwise from the front they're similar to running high-beams -- they create that big blob of light, often glaring, which to my eyes makes it more difficult to gauge vehicle type, speed, and distance (especially in rear / side mirrors). The big glaring blob may make sure others see something, but I also want them to know what I am, how fast I'm going, and how far away I am.

My brother just got the same yellow lights you've shown in another thread. They look great! I think they distinctly define the vehicle as a motorcycle from the front. When my current aux lights fail, I'll likely switch to amber or yellow aux lights and probably tie them into my turn signal relay. That touches on the only thing I don't like about the yellow aux lights...almost at times looks like two sets of turn signals, with only one flashing.

·
Premium Member
5,055 Posts
People often think I'm a cop. I've had cars pull over if i happen to follow them around a corner. Or they'll slow down. I've had had people at the side of the road exchanging information after a fender bender see me and wave frantically thinking I'm a cop.
Look like a cop and people notice you.
yup me too.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
+1 on the WHITE HELMET. I used to have a burgundy red helmet that matched my Concours, but when it was getting tattered I switched to white, Shoei RF1000. I notice that when I ride down a city street with a lot of buildings with plate glass window in front, the reflection of the white hat sticks out in my peripheral vision, it is the first thing I see, even more than my Hi-Viz yellow/green vest.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
We run a Cree LED on the front set to low power as a DRL only going to full power when you go to high beam
On the Barkbuster Storm hand guards we have fitted the optional white position lights & amber blinkers.
On the rear we run the backoff brake flasher and a set of the Hyperlights hooked up to brake & blinkers.
We both wear a white helmet and grey Klim gear.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 38 Posts