StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well got my optronics ls-108's mounted/wired up, hooked them into the heated grip socket, had a buddy tweak the aiming while i stood about 30 ft away, here's the day time pics and vid from it, when it gets dark i'll do another set

rode for a short bit behind my buddy and he said it was pretty noticeable

these pics are all from around 15ft infront of the bike

standing height approx 6' from ground

approx 3.5-4' off the ground (around level with headlights)

just a touch above the ground

and finally a vid from standing down to ground level, and back up

i'll take another set at pretty much the same specs after dark

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Now your Strom really looks like a transformer!!!!! Anything to help with head-on visibility works for me.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the way those look.

I'd love to seem them flash as turn signals, though.
yeah that was one of the functions keith was going for
but that was more wiring than i cared to get to messing around with

i'm eventually going to put some bright, forward firing, led's in the signals one of these days so that'll square that part away

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
i'm eventually going to put some bright, forward firing, led's in the signals one of these days so that'll square that part away
You can change the sockets to 1157 types and have running lights in the turn signal housings. Extra LEDs add to the effect.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, here's the nighttime pics

here's just the leds (covered up the headlights with fleece vest) at side of my house from about 15 feet away)

standing height (6' or so)

the majority of these next pics were on a tripod setup about headlevel for me in my passat so average cager eye level? at increasing distances away

the lights even throw a lil light onto the dash, in real life its not quite as much as shows in the pic due to the slightly lengthy exposure but theres definitely light

and finally, vid from various distances/angles

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Cool light show. Also adds to the width of the bike for cagers to notice. Well done.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haven't had a chance to ride with anyone in a cage yet to get impressions, had a couple cops at an intersection double take at me while they were directing traffic

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rode with a buddy again teh other day and he said even with the low setting sun behind me (he was riding lead) he could still see the lights and they were very noticeable

and apparently when i pulled into the driveway his wife thought it looked really cool :cool:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I really like these lights on the hand guards, great idea and helps show the bike true width in both night and day.... So I'm just looking around for prices of some similar lights. How have you got these wired up and are they switched? Are they wired directly into the headlights or into the fuse box?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really like these lights on the hand guards, great idea and helps show the bike true width in both night and day.... So I'm just looking around for prices of some similar lights. How have you got these wired up and are they switched? Are they wired directly into the headlights or into the fuse box?

i had them wired into the grip heater socket under the cowling, so whenever the bike was on they were on, just used the wiring the lights came with

caveat if you use these lights, before you mount them take them down and do a much better job waterproofing them than i did because the right side ones failed completely
looking for better replacements but definitely liked them on the guards like that

·
Registered
23 Posts
please give more details _ where did you buy the lights and wiring harness. The lights are sweet.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
please give more details _ where did you buy the lights and wiring harness. The lights are sweet.

got them at advance auto parts, came with the harness, just got the heated grip connector kits from eastern beaver

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do you by chance have a picture of how you mounted them to the handguards? I already have a set and have just been trying to figure out how I wanted to mount them.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you by chance have a picture of how you mounted them to the handguards? I already have a set and have just been trying to figure out how I wanted to mount them.
i can take a pic a lil later, but all i did was use the brackets they came with and drilled two holes in bottom flat lip of handguards and used some small bolts and nuts to attach

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, wasn't sure if there would be enough flat room to hold them.
yeah just use fairly small screws/nuts i had plenty of room had to angle the brackets though to make the lights point straight forward cause of the angle of the guards

·
Registered
259 Posts
I like your LED's up high, very bright and that HAS to help you be seen!

I don't have the handguards though so am planning to add some amber LED's on my forks, down near where the side reflectors are. I know they draw very little power so I've been wondering if I could tap into a headlight wire or some other wire located near the front forks rather than use a whole new circuit for such a small load. I'd like to have my little amber LED's (designed to be replacement turn signals) on all the time but would settle for only when on low beam if necessary. Does anyone have an easy way to wire this and if you do, what color are the wires I need to use?

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I don't have the handguards though so am planning to add some amber LED's on my forks, down near where the side reflectors are. I know they draw very little power so I've been wondering if I could tap into a headlight wire or some other wire located near the front forks rather than use a whole new circuit for such a small load. I'd like to have my little amber LED's (designed to be replacement turn signals) on all the time but would settle for only when on low beam if necessary. Does anyone have an easy way to wire this and if you do, what color are the wires I need to use?
Certainly you could tap a headlight wire, though depending on your LEDs it might make an even stronger argument for getting an Eastern Beaver headlight relay kit. Another option is the stock heated grip plug, located behind the radiator.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Certainly you could tap a headlight wire, though depending on your LEDs it might make an even stronger argument for getting an Eastern Beaver headlight relay kit. Another option is the stock heated grip plug, located behind the radiator.
I'm only adding some little LED visibility lights (probably less than one amp) so don't want to unnecessarily complicate my wiring or spend any extra $$, so I think I'll first try to locate the heated grip plug and use that. How do I recognize it and is it best accessed by lifting the fuel tank or do I have to actually remove the fuel tank, or do I have to remove the radiator? Where, exactly, is that little rascal?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts