StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A windstorm blew my bike over the other day and broke a turn signal, so I figured it was time to replace them with Buells. I ordered some from Bike Bandit, and they said they were discontinued. I guess that's not surprising. So I looked around for another source and this website came up:
Black, amber motorcycle turn signals for Suzuki motorcycles available at vipcycle.com

And they have similar looking turn signals that supposedly fit Suzukis. The vstrom isn't listed as a model, but I don't suppose that really matters. But maybe it'll have the right connector already on the turn signal.

Has anyone tried these people? I'm planning to order some, so if I'm the guinea pig, I'll post a review.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow! that's a killer price! Even if they require modification, they should be worth the price.

Yes, the Buell line has been discontinued by Harley, but the items are still stocked and available if you want to get them there. No need to ask how I know.

The photo on the Bike Bandit site shows bullet connectors at the ends of the wires. You will need to add female ends to match to your wiring harness to connect.

If you are lucky, you won't have to change bulbs as I had to with the Buell signals in order to get the signals to cycle correctly. The stock Suzuki bulbs are 21 watts, the Buell's are 10 watts. Bulbs are available at any auto parts store.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I got the new turn signals mounted, but not wired yet. I need to get some bullet connectors. The mounting was easy enough, the new signals came with a nut, washer, and lock washer. The threaded stud is a little smaller than the stock one, so I also stuck in the old flat washer to make sure the hole was covered on the inside.

Also, I ordered two of these signals, so I could replace both of the fronts, turns out the price listed is for a PAIR :mod2_wacko: So now I have an extra for each side for the next spill.

Here's what they look like:

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Incidentally, I've now got an extra stock RH front turn signal housing if someone needs it. I took out the electrical innards to snip off the connector, but if you've got a broken housing, you can re-use the guts from yours. I'd list it in the for sale section but I don't have enough posts. So if anyone needs one, send me a PM. I'll ship it for 20 bucks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a follow-up to my comments on these turn signals...they really don't have any advantages over the Buells other than the price :rolleyes1:
The bullet connectors that are pre-installed on the wires are smaller than the regular bullet connectors that are in the auto parts stores. I couldn't find any to fit, so I cut them off and put on regular sized bullets. Then, once connected to the bike, the flashers go back and forth between normal blink speed and hyper blink speed, so I guess the bulbs are the lower wattage bulbs. Luckily, the orange lens inside comes out very easily and an orange 1156 bulb fits inside.
I guess the one advantage is it comes with a nut and lock washer, and the threads look like course threads. So you don't have to find a nut to match the funny threads of the Buell blinkers.

·
Registered
294 Posts
As a follow-up to my comments on these turn signals...they really don't have any advantages over the Buells other than the price :rolleyes1:
The bullet connectors that are pre-installed on the wires are smaller than the regular bullet connectors that are in the auto parts stores. I couldn't find any to fit, so I cut them off and put on regular sized bullets.
So I take it they don't fit the stock turn signal connectors either?

I haven't pulled mine off yet so I don't know what size the stock ones are.

I was considering these for my DRZ400 but it seems like other than price it's not worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
I guess the one advantage is it comes with a nut and lock washer, and the threads look like course threads. So you don't have to find a nut to match the funny threads of the Buell blinkers.
I have the correct size nuts for the Buell TS's.........free, to whoever needs a set. I bought a bag of 50 (or 100??) and have about 20-30 remaining. Just shoot me a PM with your shipping addy........ :mrgreen:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I take it they don't fit the stock turn signal connectors either?

I haven't pulled mine off yet so I don't know what size the stock ones are.

I was considering these for my DRZ400 but it seems like other than price it's not worth it.
I'd say compared to the Buells, which require similar wiring mods and bulb replacement, the only advantage of these is the lower price. But then they don't seem as flexy, so if you're prone to falling over, these might just break again :skep:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thank you for posting the link and reporting on these.

I just ordered two pairs for $30.03 shipped. I am going to replace the bulbs with 1156A bulbs right away and remove the orange reflector. If I end up breaking one I will replace it with a Buell signal but for $7.50 a piece you can't beat that price compared to OEM turn signal cost.

I will try to take before and after video of these compared to the bs teardrop signals the previous owner put on my 650.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts