StromTrooper banner

Viewing an '04 Weestrom, what to look for?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Gert 
#1 ·
As the title says, I'll be taking a look at an 04 V-Strom 650 tomorrow evening. From the photos and description it seems to be in good condition, and it has just under 10k miles on it.

I've never purchased a V-Strom before, though I know the basics of what to look for on a used bike. Is there anything specific to the Strom that I should look out for?

On a slightly different note, are crash bars and skid plates still being made for this model? The one I'll be viewing is completely stock but I'd like to add some protection in the future (assuming I purchase it).

#2 ·
I've got an 04 and an 05 Wee. Just over 100K miles on the 04. Been dead reliable with no break downs and only one valve check. Left fork leak, easy repair and had the Shock rebuilt by Sasquatch.
The bike came through a major get off when run off the road but replacement pieces were available on line from Florida. Headlight bucket and the frame that holds it.
It's easy to ignore a lot of maintenance and still get high mileage. Oil changes are easy. Farkles are available from the For Sale section of the forum. That's where I've gotten a lot of my stuff. The Weld 86 bash plate was the only "new" purchase. In fact I got a used one, like new, from that section for the 05 project bike.
I've ridden over 500K miles, mostly on BMW's but the Wee is equal to all of them and better is some ways.

#3 ·
First off, welcome to the Forum. As an owner of a couple of first gen Wee myself, I would ask the seller what is the story behind the low mileage on this K4 (2004) Wee (DL650). These machines are fun to ride and thus should have racked up a lot more miles than 10K. Don't be afraid to ask questions like, the service history, who did the services, when was the battery bought, are the tires still original, etc. At 10K miles the chain and sprokets should still be good, but check the chain tension and have a look for kinks in the chain. It may be wise to take along a flash light when you inspect the bike so that you can get a good look at the small thing. Even in daylight a torch is a good tool when inspecting a bike. Using the torch, check as best you can inside the tank for any rust. Sometimes dirty fuel high pressure filter with a slight blockage, will prevent the bike from reaching the upper the rpms under load (ie 5,000 and more rpms). Have a look how true the front and read wheels line up. Sorry I can't list all the things that I would have a look at for myself. Best to take a knowledgeable person / Wee owner with you, if you can.
You may want to read threads like New Guy, New to me 2007 650 with 33,000 miles and similar, for a better understanding of what to look for. The Search Community will unlock useful info, if you have the time.

#5 ·
I bought it! Super clean, and excellent condition. Bone stock except for a center stand.

The guy I bought it from was the original owner. He intended to commute with it but ended up using a car or his other motorcycle more often. It's been kept really well though, always garaged and it never sat for too long. It's also got new tires and fresh oil, brake fluid, and coolant. Very excited!

#8 ·
"The black ones are faster."
Now, in the old GPZ1100 (aka "ZX1100E) listserve days, that statement went without challenge. Of course, my Pearl Greenish Black Metallic '96 went like jetfire, unlike the red ones.
I did not know it applied to DL650s as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.