·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
635 Posts
Great job, thanks for posting those.

Now if you could do a tank lift and show that, I'll send you some money!

I'm putting off messing with any body panels as long as possible....and your videos show why! So far I've been able to route wires without removing any body work, but eventually when the maintenance is due, it will be unavoidable.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Good enough for a sticky in my opinion.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve,

The first time I removed the tank it took me much of a morning, just to take the tank off. Today I removed all the plastic, fixed what I needed to fix under the tank, shot the videos, and reinstalled everything...all in about two hours. However, today I didn't need to unhook the lines under the tank; I just needed to be able to lift it up a little. When I did that the first time, it was a little tricky unfastening the clip that holds the gas line to the tank.

I would be glad to try to take some video to show how it's done, but YouTube has a 15 minute limit, and I know I can't do it that fast. :)

The owner's manual is really very clear on how to do everything. I just followed the steps there.

Paul

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for the great YouTube videos on how to remove the side panels! You saved me a lot of frustration, time and damage by trying to figure it out on my own!!!

·
Premium Member
152 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Good Job well done thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great job, thanks for posting those.

Now if you could do a tank lift and show that, I'll send you some money!

I'm putting off messing with any body panels as long as possible....and your videos show why! So far I've been able to route wires without removing any body work, but eventually when the maintenance is due, it will be unavoidable.
Were you able to route wiring without removing the fuel tank for :
1. Front riding lights
2. Hand warmers
3. Power Commander
4. Aux connector
5. Power Center

I'm thinking about all of these but probably the step that has taken most of my attention in terms of planning has been removing the fuel tank. And because of that I was thinking too about doing all of these at the same time. But if I could do some or all of them without removing the fuel tank it sure would be nice to spread these efforts out over a longer period of time. Appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sorry I just noticed this question.

Yes, I was able to run wires for all the items you listed above without removing the tank. But it took a lot of tricky threading and fishing and time.

Since then, I have removed the tank several times for other maintence and I wish I would have just taken the time to remove it in the first place. It's not as daunting as it seems. I have found it helpful to label all the bolts for the body panels and tank mounts so that re-assembly is much easier. The owners manual gives a pretty good how to on the process. It also helped that a friend with the same bike did it with me after he had done his.

Had it to do over again, I should have just invested the time and effort to remove the tank and my wire routing could have been even cleaner and more efficient and taken less time in the end.

·
Registered
569 Posts
First time is the hardest fuel tank removal.

In the process of removing fuel tank on 2015 DL 650.
As most have posted the fuel line connector is the difficult part. Tried yesterday before night shift got in the way. Finger pressure on the two lugs didn't work so today will try either the cable tie method or maybe a small jubilee clip to tighten them down.
It's probably been covered but has any one successfully altered the connector to facilitate easier removal bearing in mind it is one under some pressure? All other parts easy to remove.
Any way a bit of a kip then will look at again.
At the moment not a necessity as I have routed my Eastern Beaver headlight loom along the correct path, but would like to be proficient in tank removal in future.

Reactions: Birchgroover

·
38,048 Posts
Try pushing the hose in to release pressure on the clip ears.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Try pushing the hose in to release pressure on the clip ears.
Thanks, did try that before and the clips appeared to be pushed in but still couldn't pull the connector off.
I know how it works but having MS which causes a few physical motor skill deficits I find it hard to co-ordinate properly.
My hands don't co-operate sometimes, especially when tired and on night shifts.

·
38,048 Posts
The important part is the squeeze. If the clip is squeezed so it clears, it takes practically zero force to withdraw the hose. Take a look at these connectors. The white ramped clip in the open sides is what keeps the connector from coming off. Squeeze the end ears of the white clip to keep the ramped pieces from stopping the black outer section from being withdrawn as the white clip remains on the metal pipe. Maybe you can get help with that.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Finally got the hang of it, found that long nosed pliers are just right to squeeze the ends from right side of tank then a slight wriggle and pull and off it came. As with most things its all in the technique (thats what the wife says anyway!!!!) :surprise:
I like to know I can pull the tank now without any hassles, even when about 3/4 full of fuel its not that heavy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts