StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

After creeping around on the forums for a couple months I decided to get a DL1000. I found a 2006 with 20k miles about a month ago :D

I love it so far, minus one issue that surfaced toward the end of a 700 mile ride last weekend.

I noticed a weird scraping/skipping sound coming from what I believe to be the front axle when I release the throttle and do not engage the clutch. This happens in all gears at all speeds.

Accelerating and maintaining speed = no sounds.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've tried about 20 different search phrases and haven't really found anything, so I'm including a video. Pardon my scrawny ass arm. I've been skipping workouts ever since quarantine started.

Thanks in advance to you all. And thanks for being an awesome community. This forum definitely influenced my decision to get the Strom :D

PS - the noise is heard most clearly from 17-20 seconds

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
First off, there’s many smarter people here. But could it be the front timing chain? Hard to tell when watching the vid on my phone. But kinda sounds like what mine did. Loosened the front chain tensioner to lower it about 1/4”-3/8” till it made a click sound and tightened it up and mine quit for a while. Still no where near as bad as it was.
mine is a K5 DL 1000. 52,000 miles. And had a very Rough and neglectful life. That I’m trying to correct. Lol anyways good luck

·
Registered
308 Posts
First off, there’s many smarter people here. But could it be the front timing chain? Hard to tell when watching the vid on my phone. But kinda sounds like what mine did. Loosened the front chain tensioner to lower it about 1/4”-3/8” till it made a click sound and tightened it up and mine quit for a while. Still no where near as bad as it was.
mine is a K5 DL 1000. 52,000 miles. And had a very Rough and neglectful life. That I’m trying to correct. Lol anyways good luck
If it were the timing chain the noise would change with RPM, he doesn't mention that.

·
Administrator
5,745 Posts
Do you have a bash plate or any similar add-ons? It seemed to me like something loose or close together that touchs or vibrates under a closed throttle. If the sound is coming up through the transmission tunnel it could be anything around the motor. A vibrating radiator guard? Recordings are difficult to analyse.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Very difficult to tell from that video but I think Brockie is on to something. Might also want to check your chain and sprockets for wear, seized links and adjustment. Its not likely to be the problem of that noise but you are going to be looking around underneath anyway so you should rule it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts