StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I want video on my bike? What would it take in terms of equipment and how easy/hard is it to load to imac and post to internet? Are there any good packages out there? I've seen a couple but have no knowledge to rate them by. Are bullet helmet cams better or worse than bike mount? So many questions! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Why wouldn't you want video on your bike?

I bought the cheapest camera I could find - why break a good one by vibrating the [email protected] out of it on the handlebars?

Ram mount:

I think the bullet cams give you a better indication of the speed - or on the bars takes it away? Just my opinion. They are smoother and easier on the camera too I think.

Not sure about Mac - I have a PC.

If you want music, transitions and captions etc it is time consuming and you need a better video editing package. I personally like to hear the engine and like the raw feeling - knowing how hard you're riding it. It also means I can use free video editing software. I use windows built in capturing software then 'Virtual Dub' to cut and compress using the divx codec.

Uploading to youtube is EASY. They re-process the video - don't know exactly what that entails but it does take a little quality?

You can probably get to all of these by going to one and 'showing all videos from this user' but I'll link a bunch anyway :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez0mPO04Xyw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIK1gnj0dcs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-2gh0-eXU4

M

·
0 Posts
Bill,

A real cheap way to find out is Oregon Scientific's helmet cam. It's small and records onto flash media (sd chip). Run on a couple AA's and costs about a hundred bucks. That should get you in to see if its something you want to do. Otherwise you want to use a bullet cam running to a miniDV recorder.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I LOVE the sig... too funny.:) but also true (serious look)

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Got room for "One liter is sweeter" in that sig line?

True'er words have never been spoken. :mrgreen:
But seriously there's a Ram mount I can get hold of so I'm thinking I'll mount my wifes dig camera in video mode and give it a whirl. It runs on a SD card too. Hope it doesn't break. Then I'll play with the Apple to oranges conversion for Youtube. Thanks you guys for the suggestions. This looks to be the best way to stick my toe in the water.

M

·
0 Posts
The problem with hard mounting a camera is all the shake you'll get. Try it out, its free.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It Worked!

I put the Ram mount on the FZ1 (sorry, Ill do the V-Strom next), Swiped my wife Kathleens (yes, she's Irish) Canon A520 camera and went for a shake down cruise. This works way better than I had hoped. I'll probably use this set up for the occasional video. I had never uploaded to Youtube - what a piece of cake! The quality degrades quite a bit but for free, what the heck, it's all right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts