StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an inexpensive one that actually works without a monthly cloud fee? I only know someone with a Ring 720P and he pays a monthly cloud fee. TIA

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Anyone have an inexpensive one that actually works without a monthly cloud fee? I only know someone with a Ring 720P and he pays a monthly cloud fee. TIA
You can use the ring without a subscription or pay a year for $30. Without a subscription you can’t see any missed calls if you don’t catch it when it alerts. For subscription free and it will save a days worth of video I would look at the August Doorbell.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3250256/security-cameras/august-doorbell-cam-pro-2-review.html

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the basic Ring. Any problems or issues with it?

I read in a review it has a long video lag and thieves have learned they can steal them within 20 seconds and not get recorded.

You can use the ring without a subscription or pay a year for $30. Without a subscription you can’t see any missed calls if you don’t catch it when it alerts. For subscription free and it will save a days worth of video I would look at the August Doorbell.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3250256/security-cameras/august-doorbell-cam-pro-2-review.html

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Do you have the basic Ring. Any problems or issues with it?

I read in a review it has a long video lag and thieves have learned they can steal them within 20 seconds and not get recorded.
I can’t say that isn’t so. I have a Brinks system and considered a video doorbell but we really don’t get a lot of foot traffic nor have we had a package stolen. I am thinking it works like any decent web cam. It records constantly if wired with power and when it’s motion detection hits it backs up about 15 seconds and starts sending the recording immediately to the cloud service. Apparently they had a rash of burglaries in this neighborhood. This article explains it better than I can but it appears there is no lag in sending video to the cloud if stolen as long as it can connect immediately which depends on a lot of factors. I am not sure how they could sneak up on it.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/ring-video-doorbell-theft/

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We hadn't had a theft or anything in the 28 years we have been here but we are in rural burbs on acreage. The delivery guys do some silly things if they are in a hurry like claim no one came to the door if a sig was required. We get a few bible thumpers a year. Still nice to know what the delivery folks did. Another gadget to play with. The need is limited.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I don't really know anything about these devices so I can't vouch for the validity of what I'm about to relay.

My wife and I went to a house in one of the nicer neighborhoods in the area to buy some used furniture off Facebook Marketplace. When we arrived there was a sign on the door stating that the doorbell wasn't working because it was recharging. I believe it was one of the Ring devices. The owners assured us that this was a common occurrence.

If you have one of the security cam doorbells and it's plugged in to be charged, shouldn't it be charging constantly and not have to go offline to recharge. What good is a security cam that goes offline to recharge?

Anyway, that's what the owner told us.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have a Vivint system here in North Las Vegas. The doorbell camera works on motion sensing and is hard wired. The biggest problem we had with it is the doorbell transformer in the garage was old and did not put out enough power to keep it working. I had to put a new transformer in and that was fine. It does pick up the video fine but the part where you can talk threw it does lag a lot. Most people walk away before I can speak to them. This setup does come with a whole house alarm system so it’s really not what the OP was asking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
We use Nest.

I can see and hear my front door in Mississauga when I'm working online from Australia where it is 2.am just now. I can also push to talk to people. A bit spooky.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The Nest is on the top of my short list. So is there much lag they mention on some of the others - especially halfway around the globe? Do you use the facial recognition? I get a free year of Nest Aware.

It says the video uses HDR. :)

We use Nest.

I can see and hear my front door in Mississauga when I'm working online from Australia where it is 2.am just now. I can also push to talk to people. A bit spooky.

·
Vendor
4,708 Posts
i thought about the door bell cameras, but with 1080P security camera systems with 8 camera costing less that $400 i went that way. Got mine at costco. No annual fee and a DVR that collects six months worth of data.

They had 4K units also.

Mine has paid for itself already. Glad I go tit.

Alerts to our phones with phone access to recordings.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If I had more need that is the way to go IMO. Is that wired or wireless? I already have motion sensor floods on all sides of the house so power is there. Those do sound like some work.

The nest is simple except for the chime connector device.

i thought about the door bell cameras, but with 1080P security camera systems with 8 camera costing less that $400 i went that way. Got mine at costco. No annual fee and a DVR that collects six months worth of data.

They had 4K units also.

Mine has paid for itself already. Glad I go tit.

Alerts to our phones with phone access to recordings.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I think I may have found what you are looking for. Sky Bell HD. It comes with free cloud storage through your WiFi and will save recordings for 7 days included. Sells for $199 on Amazon.

I was really surprised as I looked over different models at how far from what the customer wants many models are. Interesting reading

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, the more I studied them and read the pro reviews the more I decided I liked the Nest. I am too much of a techy nerd I guess and love all of the features that actually work. lol I have a use for the facial recognition feature and will have to pay the monthly fee for storage. IOne minor thing is the door frame is 2" wide and Next fits perfectly. It has wide support and is sold at half a dozen stores within ten miles of my house.

It is rated the highest by CNet, Tom's Hardware, and a few others.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Yeah there is a delay at times - would have been nice if it was multiplex but serves it's purpose. Biggish house and Amazon just drops stuff so I can watch from upstairs who is ringing the doorbell and deal with it immediately or at my leisure if just a drop off.

This looks pretty good

https://xlivepro.com

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just picked it up at Lowes Home Furnishings. They had a 15% "bucket" sale (has to fit in a 5 gallon bucket) plus an 11% online rebate( I already submitted) today only so 26% off. Can't beat that. I picked up an outdoor temperature/humidity unit as well given it fit in the bucket. Saved nearly $100.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
and?
That's like saying there have been peeping toms....who cares.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had read about the Nest camera system hacking. A big complaint was the length of time it took them to release the new firmware to fix it. Alexa had the same issue early on. Anything hooked to the internet will get tested by hackers.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really simple install if you have a compatible doorbell transformer. Works perfectly. Very clear sound and video.

I am really not that fat. lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts