StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Interesting to see how impressed he was with it offroad. Most of the reviewers said it was not very good offroad yet in their road test they never venture off the tarmac.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Another very good review, but another one also that underlines the unexciting aspect of the engine (fun, but not exciting...). This time I have the impression that it's a very "honest" comment, meaning that the bike could have benefited from a bit more power above 5500-6000 rpm without the need to have a 150hp engine.

Like some of us believe: the Vee2 seems to be a great bike, but if the suzuki engineers could have added 15 or event just 10 more hp (like the big Versys or the Super T), it would have been an amazing bike an nobody would have talked about the lack of excitement. Maybe the Vee3 in 12 years, when it will have an electrical engine...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Excellent video and thank you for posting. I thought it was an exceedingly informative review in how it spoke to the aspects of the bikes character, or in some ways, lack of same. So, it sounds like it'll be kinda dull as far as top-end rush goes. I am perfectly OK with that, since mine will be used for everyday use, commuting and getting into the backwoods rough-pavement twisties and fire roads on weekends. In other words, normal V-Strom stuff. And that's how V-Strom's are supposed to behave as far as I'm concerned.

So I'm quite happy to have confirmation that what I call the "lovingly predictable" qualities will carry forward, with updated technology and lots more low-end "grunt". Looking forward to picking up my Crimson Pigeon in roughly a month or month and a half...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Want a rush...

If you want a "real" rush wait until you get your bill for your 10,000 mile check up on your BMW.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Excellent video and thank you for posting. I thought it was an exceedingly informative review in how it spoke to the aspects of the bikes character, or in some ways, lack of same. So, it sounds like it'll be kinda dull as far as top-end rush goes. I am perfectly OK with that, since mine will be used for everyday use, commuting and getting into the backwoods rough-pavement twisties and fire roads on weekends. In other words, normal V-Strom stuff. And that's how V-Strom's are supposed to behave as far as I'm concerned.

So I'm quite happy to have confirmation that what I call the "lovingly predictable" qualities will carry forward, with updated technology and lots more low-end "grunt". Looking forward to picking up my Crimson Pigeon in roughly a month or month and a half...
It reminds me comments on CBF1000 ( which has detuned engine of CBR1000) where people were asking why not more HP (it has about 100, which is down from 175HP) and when I test rode it it was just excellent for everyday road use. Exceptional torgue at the lower end.

·
Administrator
17,396 Posts
If you want a "real" rush wait until you get your bill for your 10,000 mile check up on your BMW.
Have 2 buddy's that do all their own maintenance on their BMW's, hardly costs them a cent.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good video! I don't care about the power. If it's an improvement on my Vee it's more than enough for me. The comments regarding the good suspension set-up was music to my ears!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Good video! I don't care about the power. If it's an improvement on my Vee it's more than enough for me. The comments regarding the good suspension set-up was music to my ears!
One of the things that annoyed me about the 2007 I had was it was not as happy riding legally as it was riding illegally. I was constantly dropping a cog to keep it where it was happiest. This bike seems to have solved that.

The amount of times I use the top end HP would be very small in real life. Suzuki may not have designed a bike to impress the sports nuts but as a tourer it seems great.

·
Registered
138 Posts
One of the things that annoyed me about the 2007 I had was it was not as happy riding legally as it was riding illegally. I was constantly dropping a cog to keep it where it was happiest. This bike seems to have solved that.

The amount of times I use the top end HP would be very small in real life. Suzuki may not have designed a bike to impress the sports nuts but as a tourer it seems great.
I agree mate. It's not that I don't enjoy having surplus HP on tap it's just too easy to burn your license these days so a thrilling top end is just a waste in my book. I'd rather have the bulk of the torque spread across the power band where I do most of my riding....ie at mostly legal speeds.

Cheers,

Tony

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The short clip video below the video shows how close to the ground the pan is coming with just a small jump. Skid plate a must.

·
Administrator
17,396 Posts
The short clip video below the video shows how close to the ground the pan is coming with just a small jump. Skid plate a must.
I am thinking the preload is also probably set very soft, bet it needs to be cranked up a bit.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ditto.. with 80% of twist at 1500 rpm and peaking at 4500 you have a versatile bike. I remember the original R1 street bike...they left a stain on your underwear in third at 75mph when you cracked it open. I'm to old for that now. I fact it has become evident that I should now, not ever, trust a Fart.

It will be a great, comfortable long distance Bike or a commuter or pack horse and if the need arose great at plowing a field. :thumbup:
There is NO bike for sale today in the adventure touring field that comes close to Suzuki's torque/rpm. Closest is the Guzzi and they were originally a tractor ( and a Guzzi is weazy at 7,000rpm)

·
Registered
600 Posts
It reminds me comments on CBF1000 ( which has detuned engine of CBR1000) where people were asking why not more HP (it has about 100, which is down from 175HP) and when I test rode it it was just excellent for everyday road use. Exceptional torgue at the lower end.
Yep, I have had one for the last three years.
The motor is a peach, goes like stink and TONS of low and mid range torque.
VERY usable on the street.
BTW I had a chance to test a Honda Repsol 1000RR.
Very little torque until around 7200 and the all Heck broke loose.
Problem was, you are already going around 80KPH in first gear!
Completely irrelevant for the street if you want to keep your licence.
I was glad I rode it as it was fun for a short blast, but not a day to day rider at all.
Now looking at a FJR, 2014 Vstrom or 2014 Super Ten.
The CBF pulls really hard to about 6500 RPM, then sort of flattens out.
If the new VStrom pulls anything like the CBF, it will be a FUN, usable bike.
The new Strom makes more torque and HP than the CBF(96hp ?RPM and 69 ft/lb torque at 6500)
What will matter is how drastic a cut off in power it has above 6K IMHO.
Waiting for this winter to end to do some test rides.
Maybe about August, the way things are going up here.:headbang:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts