StromTrooper banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Still nothing on my end yet, I have ordered a Manual due in Wednesday and am planning on a retourque of the engine if I can figure out a spanner for the tensioning spacers. The dealer is ordering me a new O2 sensor even though it's not the problem, but the more they do the more documentation of the issue if I need to get ugly.

Really tempted to give the TPS a slight twist to richen things up, I had similar issues with my Versys and a slight increase of fuel helped, but that was a non O2 sensor bike, I'm not sure if the strom running closed loop will just compensate for the adjustment?

Stay tuned...
Thanks, VTWEE:

On the spanner, are you talking about the nut pictured here? If so, I googled "Suzuki 4-pin 27mm engine mount spanner wrench" and came up with a few options in the $38.00 - $50.00 range online. Let me know what you end up doing with the mounts and that socket. I may do the same thing. My manual is due in tomorrow...

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
YUP

Thanks, VTWEE:

On the spanner, are you talking about the nut pictured here? If so, I googled "Suzuki 4-pin 27mm engine mount spanner wrench" and came up with a few options in the $38.00 - $50.00 range online. Let me know what you end up doing with the mounts and that socket. I may do the same thing. My manual is due in tomorrow...
Thanks for the info, not 100% sure it'll fit but the starter clutch tool for a chinese scooter is 27mm id 4 pin, $15-+ on amazon, ordered one will let you know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
I received my manual did some checking, the tps is right in the middle of its range.

But while Reving the bike to the 5k trouble spot I’m hearing a buzzing around the seat lock. The barrel that the cable is terminated with is rattling around making a horrible noise, tomorrow I’m going to figure a dampening something to wrap or dip it in, hopefully that gets rid of one noise not the vibration problem but associated noise.
Also tried the loosening of exhaust and retorquing, didn’t seem to help.
More tomorrow...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks, VTWEE:

Scooter socket worked?

I received my manual did some checking, the tps is right in the middle of its range, adjusted up to the top of the range, no change.
But while Reving the bike to the 5k trouble spot I’m hearing a buzzing around the seat lock. The barrel that the cable is terminated with is rattling around making a horrible noise, tomorrow I’m going to figure a dampening something to wrap or dip it in, hopefully that gets rid of one noise not the vibration problem but associated noise.
Also tried the loosening of exhaust and retorquing, didn’t seem to help.
More tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I received my manual did some checking, the tps is right in the middle of its range, adjusted up to the top of the range, no change.
As far as I know, none of the TB user-adjustable settings such as position sensors (primary or secondary) or the idle-air screws can cause motor-imbalance vibration off-idle (i.e. over 2000 RPM max). There has to be a vacuum leak, bad spark plug or out-of-sync throttle plates or something else causing a power imbalance at speed.

The front, lower TB boot on my L4 Wee was loose and peak buzziness was right around 5K RPM. An out-of-balance motor will cause many components to vibrate in sympathy (i.e. natural frequency). My Givi crash bars were notoriously bad unless fully tightened they sounded like a hive of angry bees. Now that the TB leak is fixed they hardly vibrate at all because the more balanced motor doesn't generate the energy to put things in motion. As you imply, you are treating a symptom not a cause.

Also tried the loosening of exhaust and retorquing, didn’t seem to help. More tomorrow...
Its good to rule things out so not a waste of time but I would focus on TB/motor imbalance of some type.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Observations from yesterdays ride home,
I always let the bike hit at least two bars of engine temp before heading out, when cold idle is smooth not elevated rpm just smooth as the temp hits 2 bars the bike starts to have a rougher idle, almost a skip.
wondering if as the ecu leans out the mixture for operating temp I'm getting a lean skip. One of the things that I noticed due to the humidity and temp yesterday here near the ocean, the condensate coming from the exhaust was smooth puffs while under 2 bars, when the idle changed the puffs where much more irregular patterns.

My plan at this point is to ask dealer have a look possible suggest to check throttle body sync and throttle position sensor, if possible adjust to the high (richer) end of the spec. Hate to give too much input and draw them away from actually troubleshooting the issue. We'll see what they agree to...

Will be sure to follow up
Forgot to mention that my bike does this EXACT same thing. I let it warm up to right at two bars today and it immediately went to that lopey idle. I imagine this could be normal but it was literally right at the point where the second temp.' bar became illuminated on the dash that the idle roughened up a bit. Something else I'm noticing and it could just be the V-twin sound, but there are certain times at lower RPM's / gears when I hear a sewing machine sound. That's the only way I can explain it. Something like a humming /or droning that alternates a bit in frequency and then goes away when I increase RPM's, gear and speed.

Maybe one of you Guru's can tell me all of that is normal!

Best,

Rossi

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Special tool 09940-14990 is equal too the starter clutch socket on a gy6 scooter! Saves about $30.

Fits just fine will be retorquing the engine mounts tomorrow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
So small update,

Dealer changed the O2 sensor, no change. I did get a chance to talk to the mechanic discussed the symptoms if nothing else it's peaked his interest in coming up with a fix.
Ran by him my ideas he agreed it could be a throttle body balancing, possibly engine mounts (more later) he also mentioned clutch basket being a out of balance item, but with the fueling issue TB seems more likely. He said he would verify the plate balance with a drill rod and if they where off he could adjust or the service manager said he would order a replacement TB.

+++The thing he mentioned was to make sure I called Suzuki and get a case started.+++

Tried to retourque the engine mounts but only had socket for the lower 2, the 4 pin socket is only for the locknuts on the tensioners, the tensioners need a 6pt socket 16 and 21mm as I remember, to engage the hex as the corners are radiused.

Going to drop it off week of the 26th so they can try to dig deeper, won't be needing it that week as I will be dropping my youngest Daughter off at School in Chicago.

Well that's all for now more as it happens.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So small update,

Dealer changed the O2 sensor, no change. I did get a chance to talk to the mechanic discussed the symptoms if nothing else it's peaked his interest in coming up with a fix.
Ran by him my ideas he agreed it could be a throttle body balancing, possibly engine mounts (more later) he also mentioned clutch basket being a out of balance item, but with the fueling issue TB seems more likely. He said he would verify the plate balance with a drill rod and if they where off he could adjust or the service manager said he would order a replacement TB.

+++The thing he mentioned was to make sure I called Suzuki and get a case started.+++

Tried to retourque the engine mounts but could only do the lower 2, the 4 pin socket is only for the locknuts on the tensioners, the tensioners need a 6pt socket 16 and 21mm as I remember, to engage the hex as the corners are radiused.

I did try starting the engine and revving it a bit with the mounts loose it did feel better, but without being able to reset the top mount, after I retourqued the engine it's back to the same shit.

Going to drop it off week of the 26th so they can try to dig deeper, won't be needing it that week as I will be dropping my youngest Daughter off at School in Chicago.

Well that's all for now more as it happens.
Hey, V:

Good info.', thanks. I PM'd you some information about the engine mount bolts. Good idea from your dealer about contacting Suzuki and believe it or not, I called them on Wednesday evening and had a ten minute conversation with them. I explained I'd ridden the same model bike at a Demo Day event and it was perfectly smooth. My bike goes in on the 23rd and I'm hoping between our two dealers they can get it figured out. I also talked again with the dealer out of state where I bought the bike. The owner said he had a wee leftover and would ride it home and report back. Maybe that will lead to something. I'd also really like to ride another '17 myself.

Thanks again for your help and input.

Ross

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey any more info on this? Were you able to fix the issue? I'm also having a problem with vibrations and looking for a way to fix it
The dealer agreed when I dropped of my bike there was a "significant" vibration at just above 5K. The service manager sat on my bike in neutral, revved it to 5,200 RPM and basically said, "Wow, yeah. I feel that." The bars, pegs, seat, everything vibrates. They had my bike for four or five days and called me to say the vibration was gone, "believe it or not." They thought it could have been "bad gas." They did absolutely nothing to the bike other than ride it. When I returned to pick the bike up the vibes were exactly the same. Also took the bike for a ride and verified nothing had changed. Meeting the Suzuki rep.' at the dealer this week and will report back. If anything comes up and there is actually a fix, I'll let you know. Very frustrated...

·
Registered
14 Posts
The dealer agreed when I dropped of my bike there was a "significant" vibration at just above 5K. The service manager sat on my bike in neutral, revved it to 5,200 RPM and basically said, "Wow, yeah. I feel that." The bars, pegs, seat, everything vibrates. They had my bike for four or five days and called me to say the vibration was gone, "believe it or not." They thought it could have been "bad gas." They did absolutely nothing to the bike other than ride it. When I returned to pick the bike up the vibes were exactly the same. Also took the bike for a ride and verified nothing had changed. Meeting the Suzuki rep.' at the dealer this week and will report back. If anything comes up and there is actually a fix, I'll let you know. Very frustrated...
Ok, looking forward to how it turns out, please keep us informed! :smile2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
UPDATE
So I was hit by a deer 2 weeks ago. My insurance appraiser came for a visit last Wednesday and has totaled my 2017 650xt, I will say the bike seemed to be getting better with mileage and possibly the throttle body sync. Still not correct in my opinion, I think the idle may have been "synced" but the primary and secondary plates are still out of balance. My plan prior to the accident was to pull the throttle bodies over the winter and verify the balance of the plates.

At this point I will not be of any help in this matter as the salvage company picked up the bike Friday.
I am walking around and can now fit into my own size pants again since the swelling has gone down (its the small victories). PSA if your riding gear only has recycled sleeping pad material for hip armor please spend $25 and buy some d30 or something better.

If you see a salvage 2017 yellow xt on the New England area with right side damage you've been warned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, Everyone:

I'll add my two cents to VTWEE's comments. Both of our bikes went back to the dealer for the vibe issue (at and around 5K) and both dealers eventually worked on the throttle bodies. My paperwork said they did a sync as well as checked the throttle valve position sensor (which was slightly out of limits and adjusted). I actually had the Suzuki rep.' on hand when I brought my bike in for the issue the second time and he rode the bike for quite a while. He seemed knowledgeable, was kind and his synopsis was that there was nothing wrong with the bike. I get vibes in the seat, pegs, tank, case, handlebars, basically everywhere right at the 5-5,200 range. Right about where you want to be on the highway cruising. Maybe I am missing something or expecting too much but I showed the rep.' review after review about how smooth this bike was: "No vibration at all in the pegs or bars until around 7K / 80MPH" (I think that one was from Cycle World). I know it's apples to oranges but I just sold a 2013 CB500F and that bike was unbelievably smooth at or above 80MPH on the highway and at a much higher RPM, obviously. I also explained to the rep.' how I didn't feel that much vibration in the demo bike and he mentioned break-in. He said that a year from now I'll be happy with the bike. He also said it could be high ethanol levels in the fuel and to try ethanol free fuel (have no idea, but I would think those stations aren't around every corner). The bike did seem marginally better after the sync / TPS adjustment. I'm not even sure where I want to go with it at this point but I'm not happy. If anyone is interested in a 600-mile 2017 (fresh 600-mile service) with hard bags and some farkles I'd be willing to let it go for what I have in it.

Glad VTWEE is feeling better and I believe he is headed for a Triumph Tiger....

Ross

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Maybe I am missing something or expecting too much...
No, I don't think so. The 5K vibe has to be the throttle body leaking somewhere. The Suzuki Rep knows there is nothing in the budget for non-safety design flaws so you are on your own. In a nutshell, the Gen2/3 airbox slips on to the throttle body inlets too easily and the clamps are not the right design to seal the connection AND hold the airbox in place. On the Gen1 there is significant physical interference between the airbox boots and the throttle body inlets so the clamps just kept the boots snug so they don't leak.

My Gen2 L4 650 had horrible vibes at 5200 RPM and it was a loose lower, front boot clamp. However, on reassembly I learned that with the new design it is very easy to dislodge an upper boot just pushing on the airbox or even tightening the airbox lid screws. Alternatively, though it is unusual, I have read on SV sites that occasionally people find a cracked lower (hard rubber) throttle body cylinder inlet piece or missing o-ring.

I hated my new-to-me L4 till I fixed the vibes and was seriously considering selling it but now I can cruise at 5200 RPM with no problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No, I don't think so. The 5K vibe has to be the throttle body leaking somewhere. The Suzuki Rep knows there is nothing in the budget for non-safety design flaws so you are on your own. In a nutshell, the Gen2/3 airbox slips on to the throttle body inlets too easily and the clamps are not the right design to seal the connection AND hold the airbox in place. On the Gen1 there is significant physical interference between the airbox boots and the throttle body inlets so the clamps just kept the boots snug so they don't leak.

My Gen2 L4 650 had horrible vibes at 5200 RPM and it was a loose front boot clamp. However, on reassembly I learned that with the new design it is very easy to dislodge a boot just pushing on the airbox or even tightening the airbox lid screws. Alternatively, though it is unusual, I have read on SV sites that occasionally people find a cracked lower (hard rubber) throttle body inlet piece or missing o-ring.

I hated my new-to-me L4 till I fixed the vibes and was seriously considering selling it but now I can cruise at 5200 RPM with no problem.
What would you suggest doing to fix it on a DL 2018 bike? If I am on my own (I don't have much mechanic experience) - how can I check the issue myself, or describe it properly to a mechanic so that he can verify whether it is the issue I have (and how to fix it)?

Thanks so much!

41 - 60 of 82 Posts