StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new one and on the ride home, I noticed a vibration coming up thru the bars at 66 & 67 mph (only in that range) that feels like there is little grooves in the highway. The dealer said they have no clue what or why. Any ideas? Has me baffled!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm going to make an educated guess and say that you have the Suzuki Crash bars installed. This is a well reported problem that happens within the 4,600 to 4,900 rpm range in 6th gear that causes the suzuki crash bars to vibrate.

If you take the crash bars off, the vibrations will go.

See here: http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/74128-crash-bars-vibrations.html

Reactions: Paul13DL

·
Registered
865 Posts
Very useful vibrations as it tells me that I'm at 60mph + 10% when on national limit roads, and therefore unwise to go any faster if there's any income generating cameras around.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, you may be right! I have been watching it and it does it around 4800 rpm. That is weird!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just picked up my Adventure earlier this week and noticed the same vibrations when cruising at about 66 mph. And yes, I agree with Oop North John that the vibrations are very useful at keeping me from any unwanted chats with the CHP. :thumbup:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have the Adventure model and yep, 67 mph.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Same for me. The speedo indicates 66mph and the bars buzz like a bee. I loosened thre crash bars to take the tension off of them and retorqued them to factory specs... The vibration moved to 64 indicated mph. Irritating vibration so I guess I will need to ride faster to avoid the vibration.

Reactions: We2V2

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Sandwich a piece of rubber between the two case guard sides where they meet in front.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Vibes

Had my 2012, with adventure pack including crashbars, for a week now, As others report at 4800/ 4900 the vibration through the handlebars was there, which personaly I found unacceptable. As per running in instructions I have not taken the revs above 5K so unable to state what the difference was above 5K.
Also if you touched the crash bar you could feel the vibration, which was much more than through the bars but obviously you would not feel this normally. I had the dealer remove the crash bars and the bike is much improved thefore it must be that the bars sets this up.
So for me the bars are a no go.:confused:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Making sure the crash bars are actually sitting flat in the mounting holes at the sides helps as well.

My L2 is rougher with the givi's installed, but it's right through the rev range, not an increase at one point.

Pete

·
Registered
6 Posts
Vibes

Guys
am I missing a point here. why should an owner of a new bike with a genuine accessory I.E crash bars fitted have to add rubber washers or any mod in fact? The bike plus accessories should be fir for purpose and not need the owner to 'sort out' :jawdrop: To me this is not doing the manufacturer any favours.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not worth pursuing

Guys
am I missing a point here. why should an owner of a new bike with a genuine accessory I.E crash bars fitted have to add rubber washers or any mod in fact? The bike plus accessories should be fir for purpose and not need the owner to 'sort out' :jawdrop: To me this is not doing the manufacturer any favours.
I just wrote it up as "one of those things" for now, as my dealer refuses to admit there's any sort of problem, and that all those people on forums don't know what they're talking about. The mechanic pulled me to the side one day, like a boy, and said "you know, not all engines are the same... and some just vibrate more than others"! If Suzuki decides to acknowledge the issue and do something about it, I'm all ears! Until then, 10 minutes of toying with free parts solved the problem for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 06 started the noisy vibration not long after I bought it. It came with crash bars installed and I didn't notice the noise while test riding. Mind does it at 6k RPM, which seem to be the point for natural resonance. It's pretty loud. I zip tied a piece of inner tube around the joint between the bars at the bottom, which has a loose piece in between, but that didn't stop the loud noise. This is an aggravation I can't tolerate. It happens right at 68 mph (actual, 75 indicated) in top gear, a speed you'd want to cruise on the highway. Arrrgh. Those who have installed tap washers––could you be more specific as to where you put them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yup, same for me. 66 to 68 MPH. Not happy about it. Have to agree with rialto, shouldn't be an issue with Suzuki crash bar. Right in the speed that I'm highway cruising, of course. Will have to bump up to 70 I guess.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had the same vibration, but at 4800RPM in all gears. I took the crash bar junction apart, teaked the bars a little so they mate up better, put 2 layers of inner tube between them and wrapped the junction with a heavy rubber hose (about 4inches long) and a couple zip ties...no more vibes.

Tip: Don't over tighten the junction bolts, just snug them...they have nylon locknuts and will not come loose.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts