StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 03 with 150 miles on it. Between 3K and 4K I feel a little extra vibration upon moderate excelleration. Is this normal?

·
Registered
213 Posts
vibration

It could be normal. It is afterall a big twin engine. Mine has some vibes but after the clutch basket it is such a small amount that I don't worry about it now. The motor is not a smooth running in-line 4. If you think it might be the clutch basket problem take it to your dealer and get it in writing on a work order so you have record of it in the future.

·
Registered
28 Posts
too much vibe is no good

Mine as some vibration also around 3000 rpm if i try to make it work to hard(under hard accelaration for example),i think they all does...it's a twin after all.Don't try to push it to hard around 3000,wait until 4000 instead and you will be a happy men. :D

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Break-in

The motor should loosen up with break-in. I'd say monitor it and if it's still doing it after 2k miles and you don't think it's normal, take it in.

FWIW, my SV 650 v-twin is quite smooth. When I get my V-Strom I'll be sure to compare the differences even though it is an apples to oranges type comparison.

·
Registered
213 Posts
vibration

I think the vibes at 3000 rpms are pretty normal for the V-strom. I have a friend with an SV650 and it is a lot smoother and revs easier than the Strom. Before the clutch basket replacement on my 2002 the vibes were real bad starting at about 2800 rpms. Now it is pretty much just the V-twin firing pulses.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RE

rider1951,

The motor is not a smooth running in-line 4.
The inlines fours that I have ridden and owned all had that damn annoying high frequency buzz that puts so many riders hands to sleep. That includes an '03 Kaw ZX-6R that I spent two trackdays on (fast bike!). I sold a bike with an inline four just because of that, and I had tried quite a few tricks/mods to quell it's damn persistent vibes.

-cos

1 - 6 of 6 Posts