StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced vibration with side luggage racks? I thinking about getting some PMR racks but I had the OEM crash bars but sold them because of the vibration. So I was just wondering if the side luggage racks do the same thing.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Upon purchase last month of my 2015 DL 650 ABS, I installed My H/T racks w/ 7.5" Tetons and so far they vibe & resonate like a kettle drum when empty.:confused:
Worst at 65 ~80 mph indicated. I installed the inner L. side tool rack and it was better.
A jacket, rain suit & towel also helps, but it's still there & most annoying.
The Givi crash bars also contribute a tremendous amount to the vibes between 4,700 ~ 5,400 rpms.:thumbdown:
I have been trying several alleged fixes for both but not yet to a tolerable level yet.
Suggestions & Comments would be welcome!
I'm quite disappointed as that the base bike is impressively smooth and vibe free.
I might remove both bars & racks and confine the new 650 to local commuter mule and go shopping for a more suitable touring rig this summer.:beatnik:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Has anyone experienced vibration with side luggage racks? I thinking about getting some PMR racks but I had the OEM crash bars but sold them because of the vibration. So I was just wondering if the side luggage racks do the same thing.
No vibration on my Adv with OEM side racks - nor the OEM crash bars.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have the PMR racks and SW Motech crash bars. Haven't noticed any vibrations. The racks are nice. Well made, fit easily, inexpensive.

·
Registered
242 Posts
After some trial solutions, I have found that 80% of the vibes are from the Givi bars.
Even wrapping them with water pipe foam insulation only helped a minor bit.
I'm ready to remove & sell them and try something else that will work with my Adventure motostuff skid plate. ( it works very well and is Paid For!!!).
ANY suggestions on a product that Does Not have a rep for vibes out there?....
I would not have bought the Givi's knowing what I do now....
"To soon we are old, Too late we are smart" as Grandpaw used to say....:headbang:

Upon purchase last month of my 2015 DL 650 ABS, I installed My H/T racks w/ 7.5" Tetons and so far they vibe & resonate like a kettle drum when empty.:confused:
Worst at 65 ~80 mph indicated. I installed the inner L. side tool rack and it was better.
A jacket, rain suit & towel also helps, but it's still there & most annoying.
The Givi crash bars also contribute a tremendous amount to the vibes between 4,700 ~ 5,400 rpms.:thumbdown:
I have been trying several alleged fixes for both but not yet to a tolerable level yet.
Suggestions & Comments would be welcome!
I'm quite disappointed as that the base bike is impressively smooth and vibe free.
I might remove both bars & racks and confine the new 650 to local commuter mule and go shopping for a more suitable touring rig this summer.:beatnik:

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's another thread about the crashbars' vibes somewhere here in the forum, some 20 pages or so. The overall conclusion is that removing the bars is the only effective cure to the vibes.

·
Registered
478 Posts
fill the crash bars with bb's and spray foam them in their. i know extra weight but cuts the vibes in half.

·
Registered
242 Posts
That was one of the items tried today. It changed it but did not eliminate the vibes.:headbang:
However I did get it running vibe free a bit later..... when I removed the Givi crash bars completely.:hurray:
They are now for sale ($150.oo + frt.) along with a 14" tall dark smoke Parabellum windshield, gen 1 Mastad 1k or 650 brackets($100.oo + frt. for both), H/T bolt on the skid plate hi way bars (($25.oo + frt.), drop me a p.m. to discuss further.:yesnod:
NOW, ..... that being out of the way, does anyone have anything negative to say about the Altrider bars other than the price?
From what I've researched so far, no issues of any kind reported so far...
Input / comments / suggestions / opinions ?:beatnik:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts