StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a 600 mile trip this weekend to break in my new 2014. It was a carry over model and the dealer gave me a large rebate to purchase. I like it so far and have enjoyed it.
Anyway, it now has a little over 1000 mikes on it now, and on the way home I opened her up on the interstate a little. I have been taking it easy on the bike until now, and haven't really got on it too hard. At 4200 rpm, it does about 74 mph. I ran it up to 5500 and it vibrates, not Harley level, but vibrates. At 6000 it pretty strong.
Anyone have any ideas or is this, or just the nature of this bike?
I checked all the obvious things that would possibly cause vibration, motor mounts, exhausts etc... but didn't find the culprit. I already checked the various bolts during the 500 mile oil change and all were in spec.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Mine just gets smoother. Do you have Givi crash bars? Those vibrate. Some fixes have been posted. If not, some other accessory or loose bolt is causing the vibration.

Reactions: MGDIL

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I have Givi bars and my bike get smoother as the RPM's go up.

Around 5000 is my happy spot.

I run a 16 front sprocket so I get a couple hundred more RPM than standard but I often find I have set my cruise control when in 5th gear not sixth because things are so smooth.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
I am thinking one of your tires is not balanced, either that or you are experiencing head buffeting which can make it seem like the bike is vibrating, but really it is just your head.

Remove the windshield and see if the problem goes away, or take it to dealer and let them troubleshoot it.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Throttle bodies out of sync on a new bike? I'm thinking engine guards or re- torquing those engine mounting bolts.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A TBS was a common need on the Vee. It shouldn't be on the Vee2 though. A Vee2 TBS is an idle air screw adjustment and won't affect vibration while riding anyway.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,438 Posts
There is a harmonic vibration in these engines in the 5600-5800 rpm range. Worked on that when developing clutch baskets and found it is just an crank/piston vibration. Might seem bad considering how smooth these bikes can be at other rpms. If smooth under 5000, and ok over 6000 rpm I would not be too concerned. Get some miles on it and grow used to the bike. You are not going to spend a lot of time over 5000 rpm on these anyway.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am thinking one of your tires is not balanced, either that or you are experiencing head buffeting which can make it seem like the bike is vibrating, but really it is just your head.

Remove the windshield and see if the problem goes away, or take it to dealer and let them troubleshoot it.
I would agree with the possible tire balance. My 2014 Vee is smooth as hell.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Tyres should have a affect at speeds not RPM's

Reactions: Mulewright

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tyres should have a affect at speeds not RPM's
Agree with that but we don't know if the OP just opened it up in top gear on the highway, or gets the same vibration in the lower gears at that rpm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have spent the last 4000 miles trying to figure out what was causing a major vibration above 4200 rpm. Found out it was the OEM crash bars. Took them off and it is smooth sailing. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just try to switch off the TC (traction control). Depending on the ECU you have this makes a big difference.

Both of our 2018 run much smoother with TC=OFF - no idea why. They then run almost as smooth as our DL-650A L2 did.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wonder what the OP was riding before getting this bike.
I rode inline fours for many years before getting my Vee2, and for the first little while I thought the bike had quite a bit of vibrations, when in actuality it's just the 'thumping' nature of the V-twin.

Every time I feel my Vee2 vibrates too much I just ride one my buddies' Harleys for a while... makes my bike feel smooooth as butter!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Mine just gets smoother and I have the Givi bars.

The usual suspect is the need to sinc the throttle bodies. There is a ton of information here and on VSRI about when it is needed and how to go about doing it.

Here is a You-tube video on the subject. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPinq0boQsI
Isn't a Suzuki or Healtech OBD tool required to do the sync on the Vee2? The video above is for a Vee.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Exactly. See post #7.

·
Registered
65 Posts
TC = off is so much smoother on my 2014 DL1000A

Just try to switch off the TC (traction control). Depending on the ECU you have this makes a big difference.

Both of our 2018 run much smoother with TC=OFF - no idea why. They then run almost as smooth as our DL-650A L2 did.
Thanks for the tip!

Does anybody have any idea why?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I have spent the last 4000 miles trying to figure out what was causing a major vibration above 4200 rpm. Found out it was the OEM crash bars. Took them off and it is smooth sailing. Just a thought.
Mine is smooth with the OEM bars. Something was wrong with yours.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts