StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I recently got a new 2020 vstrom 650 and it find it is kinda buzzy. Even when it is at a stand still it vibes pretty bad while I rev it up or at idle. It’s not horrible but it is enough to make my arms tingle after a bit of riding. The dealer said its normal but doing some research on these bikes I thought they were smoother then what I am used too (I came from a ninja 300).
I ordered the tool to check torque on the engine mounts, I plan on doing it sometime next week but if anyone know what else I can check I would really appreciate the input. By the way, just for more info it has about 1,600km on it and I have already done the first oil change on it at 1000km. also it does not have engine bars or anything on the bike, its all stock.
Thanks

·
Registered
984 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
It seems to me I remember reading someone solved their vibe problem by synching throttle bodies or something like that, Mine has no Vibe issues, so don't settle for the dealer's line that it is normal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems to me I remember reading someone solved their vibe problem by synching throttle bodies or something like that, Mine has no Vibe issues, so don't settle for the dealer's line that it is normal.
I've seen that too, but I wasn't sure how to tell if a vibe is caused by unsynced throttle bodies or not and the procedure to sync them looked pretty in depth. If my motor mounts are torqued good and there are no loose throttle body boot clamps then I might need to try a sync.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I've seen that too, but I wasn't sure how to tell if a vibe is caused by unsynced throttle bodies or not and the procedure to sync them looked pretty in depth. If my motor mounts are torqued good and there are no loose throttle body boot clamps then I might need to try a sync.
Just to give you a little background on this issue, many riders are complaining of viby bikes from Gen2 (2012) forward (do a search). It seems to impact a small fraction of the new bikes and there does not seem to be a definitive cause nor fix. The dealers will not fix this and claim that it is "normal" when it clearly is not. Crash bars and side-case brackets do not cause the vibration but just make it more noticeable. The "throttle body sync" in the Suzuki manual is for the idle-air circuit only which cannot cause motor imbalance and only impacts idle and just-off-idle (<2000 RPM) whereas the vibes are typically in the 4-5000 RPM range indicating motor imbalance. There used to be a procedure in the Suzuki manual to sync the primary butterfly valves in the throttle body but for 2007 and later models that procedure was pulled and the manual says never to touch the throttle body linkage adjustment screws so the dealer will never do this. The Rx in the manual for out-of-sync butterfly valves is to completely replace the throttle body at $800 which is why the dealers won't do that under warranty on just a hunch.

Here is a brief history of my experience with a 2014 Wee that I bought used with only 3000 miles on it. The bike was viby from the day I bought it and the seller admitted that it came that way from the factory. He was an ex-Harley rider and thought it was normal, lol. The vibration was so bad that I was considering selling it. The crash bars would buzz like a hive of angry bees and I could feel vibes in the seat, pegs, bars and the mirrors were useless at speed.

The primary cause was the loose lower throttle body clamp that I mentioned in post #2 that probably came that way from the factory. I also found that the secondary butterflies where noticeably out-out-of synch and just used calipers to adjust them. The secondaries are not critical to motor balance so they don't need high-precision. Fixing the boot clamp and the secondaries got the vibs down significantly. I also re-positioned the motor in its craddle and retorqued the bolts which lowered the vibration further and made the mirrors useable at speed. I also removed the crash bars but can still feel vibs in the seat, pegs and bars but at least it is tolerable for now. I don't think that the secondary butterflies came from the factory out of whack so I suspect that the seller also messed with the primary linkage trying to get the vibes down and that is the source of my problem now.

My previous bike was a K7 Wee and it had an idle-hunt problem and was viby. I figured out a way to rebuild the throttle body and developed a procedure to balance the primary butterflies using LED light. The problem with that bike with 80K miles was the shaft seals were worn and leaking so I replaced the throttle bodies with used ones that I used my sync procedure on and that bike was as smooth as silk all the way to red-line. Eventually I will probably dust off this procedure and resycn the throttle bodies on my L4 but it is a complicated procedure that I am hoping to avoid.

Before I proceed with that plan I have since measured the compression twice with two different compression gauges and got mixed results. One showed a F/R delta of 20 PSI (spec in manual is 28 PSI) which would explain motor imbalance, possible due to running the front cylinder lean for 4000 miles before I found the loose throttle body boot clamp. The second test showed F/R 0 PSI delta (i.e. normal) so before I pursue that avenue I am going to rerun the compression check again and may do a leakdown test. In thinking about this more generally, I thought that one of the only major changes from Gen1 to Gen2+ (assuming the Gladius motor is not inherently viby) is that exhaust was redesigned so I am also looking to modify/adjust the exhaust mounts to see if that can be a cause.

But the question, for you anyway, is what could cause a brand new bike from the factory to be so viby? After ruling out vacuum leaks or compression delta between cyclinders or motor mounts, I think it has to be either the exhaust mounts or an out-of-synch throttle body. The throttle body synch of the primary butterflies is a high precision adjustment and is probably done by Mikuni on special machines that are recalibrated after so many hours or X number of throttle bodies synched. If you happen to get a throttle body synched just before calibration, you get a viby bike. If you get a bike with a throttle body syched soon after calibration you get a smooth bike. Luck of the draw.

My case is different than yours because the seller may have messed with the throttle bodies but if I do my high-precision synch and my vibes go away (after ruling out other causes) then this could explain the small fraction of new bikes coming viby from the factory.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got my 2020 DL650XA for 3 days by now. I took it out for couple of break in rides. My bike was silky smooth at first gear at RPM lower than 2K, as soon as shitf to upper gears, I can feel little vibration which I think is normal.
However I did rev the engine RPM around 5000 in second gear couple of times when I was on mountain road, which was at around 50Km/h speed, I feel the obvious vibration, and my seat vibrates too.
Didn't rev higher RPM because the bike is till in break in time, only got 100KM for now.
Not sure about it, finger crossed. Have to wait until it hit couple thousands of kilometres.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello all, I recently got a new 2020 vstrom 650 and it find it is kinda buzzy. Even when it is at a stand still it vibes pretty bad while I rev it up or at idle. It’s not horrible but it is enough to make my arms tingle after a bit of riding. The dealer said its normal but doing some research on these bikes I thought they were smoother then what I am used too (I came from a ninja 300).
I ordered the tool to check torque on the engine mounts, I plan on doing it sometime next week but if anyone know what else I can check I would really appreciate the input. By the way, just for more info it has about 1,600km on it and I have already done the first oil change on it at 1000km. also it does not have engine bars or anything on the bike, its all stock.
Thanks
My 2017 wee engine is so smooth that of all the bikes I've had (30 plus of all types) it's the 2nd smoothest next only to my honda cb400 vtec2 (understandably so because it's a small displacement in-line 4 cyl bike). Could be some anomaly resulting from unbalanced tightening of bolts and nuts during assembly. It's not normal, i bet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2017 wee engine is so smooth that of all the bikes I've had (30 plus of all types) it's the 2nd smoothest next only to my honda cb400 vtec2 (understandably so because it's a small displacement in-line 4 cyl bike). Could be some anomaly resulting from unbalanced tightening of bolts and nuts during assembly. It's not normal, i bet.

I have a 2019 650 Strom and there is vibration above 5K, not the usual 4-5K. It increases through the handlebars until it's pretty bad at 80... I love the bike but don't know if I want this to drive me crazy. My vintage Guzzi and (when I owned it) old Ducati don't vibrate at all...:(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 2019 650 Strom and there is vibration above 5K, not the usual 4-5K. It increases through the handlebars until it's pretty bad at 80... I love the bike but don't know if I want this to drive me crazy. My vintage Guzzi and (when I owned it) old Ducati don't vibrate at all...:(
Mine was really bad when I fist got it, I did a two hour trip with it and it was brutal. Now its has about 4500km's on it and it does seem better, I actually just finished a 900km trip and it was pretty good. I did add Givi engine bars and a ravetech skid plate that might have helped the vibs since adding the bars means removing the motor sub frame bolts and reinstalling them. I do now get a resonating vibration around the bike with the skid plate and engine bars around 6k rpm's but I'm planning on adding some rubbers washers at some point to medicate that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for your response. I'm hoping that going to a 16 tooth front sprocket will at least move the vibes up out of my (hopefully) 70 mph cruising range. I am just surprised at the variety of info around wee strom vibration, from "OMG I'm shaking all over" to "It's a blissful dream ride on cloud 9". Pretty odd, but then the x-factor is the rider and their experiences... My prior fj-09 had vibrations, my friends Versys vibed a lot... But then there was my rides on a BSA 441 Victor. Now that vibrated like a weight reduction machine in a German spa.

·
Registered
704 Posts
is there a write up for the procedures on tightening the engine mounting bolts that include
the torque specs ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is an update of my V-strom 650
After it passed 1000 KM milestone, and I changed engine oil and filter, every thing looks pretty good.
Then I toke my 650 to highway, and rev engine to around 6500 many times.
After many short trips on highway with speed of more than 120KM/h, I can feel my Strom is getting smooth now.
The vibration around 5000 rpm is gone. And it is smooth all the way up to 7000 rmp.

Love it!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I rarely rev my strom higher than required per gear. It's more of a leisure bike than a sports bike so revving it more than you need to will naturally result in vibration.

·
Registered
25 Posts
kelvin, you have a 2020 and I have a 2019, so similar age and mileage. I just put a 16 tooth front sprocket on, and even then the bike has significant vibes through the bars above 6K. It is OK on the highway at 70-75, but it pi**es me off that my dealer kind of sighs and says something about "twins, oh well..." I'm supposed to accept this. Don't know if I can. Looking forward to trying another strom. Also, maybe it's just me and what I call vibes aren't (?).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
My sprocket is stock one.
I just installed Givi crash bar on my strom.
Only got chance to test on city road, and I didn't notice any increase vibration above 5000 rpm in 3rd gear.
Will try on highway when I can. It starts raining everyday in my area now. Will update if I try highway.

I installed crash bars by myself and I used electrical tape to wrap the connection tube to remove any play when insert into both side tube.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
My sprocket is stock one.
I just installed Givi crash bar on my strom.
Only got chance to test on city road, and I didn't notice any increase vibration above 5000 rpm in 3rd gear.
Will try on highway when I can. It starts raining everyday in my area now. Will update if I try highway.

I installed crash bars by myself and I used electrical tape to wrap the connection tube to remove any play when insert into both side tube.
After about a year, one of the O-rings on mine had frayed apart; maybe happened when I was installing the bars. I replaced both.
The electrical tape wrap sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
704 Posts
It seems to me that all the bikes I've ever ridden had some sort of vibration.. Harleys were the worst.
However, I built my son a custom Honda Rebel 450 some years ago. Parallel twin. Took some work
to get it right but it ran great and was really smooth running. In fact all of the Hondas I've owned were
somewhat vibration free. Even my 2000 Model SV 650 was not as buzzy as this bike is. And it's
right around that same 5 K rpm figure everyone else talks about being the worst
Changing to a 16 tooth counter sprocket will help but it only moves that point to a higher mph value.
Many on here say it can be from the engine not settled correctly in the frame. And going over
the mounting hardware with the engine supported from underneath a saving grace.
If the vibration could be a little more isolated from the riders contact with the bike it would be much
less irritating. . This would be the handle bars -- foot pegs --- seat.
I do my best to not ride in the irritating rpm range. It seems some things engineers design don't
deserve a merit badge. Suzuki could have done a better job at trying to quell this vibration.
But it is inherent to the V twin design even with a counter balancer in place.
My focus moving forward will be the 3 areas highlighted above.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts