StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the ravetech rad guard and now I can hear a metallic vibration at 3k rpm. All the bolts are tight, any ideas?

Also I just installed the givi crash bars and now there is a vibration at a certain rpm.

All the bolts are tight on this too. Curious to see if anyone had the same issue.

·
Administrator
17,525 Posts
It is your Givi bars, the lower front brace vibrates due to no isolation between the joints.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Midwinter: My 2012 has the Suzuki crash bars installed. I too noticed increased vibes (especially in the 4200 to about 4600 range) after putting them on.
Some claim that inserting a rubber isolater (like a washer or grommet) between the left and right halves (in front of the radiator area) would help; it didn't, in my case. So, I figure that it is some sort of harmonic (of the engine vibes) being amplified by the bars. I notice it mostly in the footpegs, and not so much in the handlebars. I have written it off as a trade-off in the addition of more mass in places that are not optimal for vibration control...The irony: The RPM range of increased vibes is right where I do most of my riding !
-Freyguy

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone have the torque specs for the two short bolts and main frame bolt?

Where the two sections join and it has the two small hex screws, the screw head is directly above the exhaust and is very hard to tighten properly.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also if you have torque specs for the upper two rad bolts and the lower fan bolt.

What about removing the spacer and using rtv all over the spacer and slide it back in?

·
Registered
15,613 Posts
You could try finding some rubber washers or make some out of sheet rubber and put them under the mounting bolts.
I know, fill the bars with lead shot and that should quell the vibes. That's a weighty idea though.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I seem to remember there being rubber O-rings on mine where they join together. Yes, just checked and there are two O-rings.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My bike developed a vibration after installing the center stand. This bike must not like accessories.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I also got vibrations after installing crash bars and skid plate.

I bought a large rubber mallet at Harbor Freight for $1.99 and cut off half the rubber and made a large spacer / dampener to go between the crash bars (in front of the radiator). Most of the vibs were eliminated.

Reactions: Sandstorm

·
Vendor
5,423 Posts
The Givi crash bars are NOT a source for vibration. That has been debunked. The vibration comes from elsewhere and is reflected in the bars. The vibration will still be there when the bars are removed. Still, dampening as described above is a good idea. It serves the same purpose as dampening handlebars.

The OP's post was about "hearing a mechanical vibration" after installing a brand X radiator guard. A mechanical noise might be generated from vibration and gaps between the radiator guard and the stock components. I suggest removing the guard and checking to see if the noise goes away. If it does, look for places on the guard were rubbing has occurred. Place some double faced tape or black foam weather stripping between the radiator guard and the stock components at these places. Or, line the inside frame of the guard with the weather stripping if there is room.

IMO radiator guards are largely unnecessary bling. They are good for when you want to buy your bike a gift because you are fond of it, but I know others hold a different opinion.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Does anyone have the torque specs for the two short bolts and main frame bolt?

Where the two sections join and it has the two small hex screws, the screw head is directly above the exhaust and is very hard to tighten properly.
Just look in most any shop manual or Google search torque specs and you will find recommended torque values for specific sized fasteners. Keep in mind you are applying torque to steel into aluminum.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
353 Posts
I put Givi crash bars on my KLR 650 and it caused instant very bad vibration . Everyone said they were known for that and I need to get SW Motech. When I took the Givi's off the vibration was gone. I installed the SW Motechs and had no additional vibration. SW Motech says in their advertising that they have vibration insulation. Maybe it's possible for this to happen on a V-Strom . Maybe it's just isolated cases. I doubt if it's the centerstand .Take off crashbars and rad. guard and install one at a time and isolate the problem.
(Ride it first with just the centertand just to be sure that's not it.)

·
Vendor
5,423 Posts
This has been done. The vibration is still there. It's not "caused" by the crash bars.

The same used to be said for SW Motech crashbars.

I belive there is an oppurtunity here for a dual purpose product. One that acts as a sacrificial material for tip overs and dampens crash bar vibration the same way bar ends dampen handlebar vibration.

I dropped my bike in gravel about two weeks ago. Got some ugly scars and much chiding from my immediate family. Sacrificial dampers/sliders would have prevented both.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info everyone.

Well the main loud vibration was coming from the SW motech reservoir guard hitting the metal cap on the reservoir. So I loosened the fastner rotated the guard up a bit and retightened. So that sound is gone.

The second vibration is still there. I tightened all the givi frame bolts more and it slightly reduced it but is still there.

When the bike is running at highway speed the engine and wind noise mask the sound. Really it's only noticeable at slow speeds. It's not really intrusive but it is there.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I rode 200 miles on the interstate with ear plugs no problem.

I then rode on regular roads and the vibration is loud at 3100rpm, at higher speeds at that Rev range the vibration is reduced. I'm going to temporary remove the rad guard to try and isolate the vibration.

·
Registered
969 Posts
This has been done. The vibration is still there. It's not "caused" by the crash bars.
True. Obviously the bars do not have the ability to create vibration but they can certainly amplify vibration from the motor. If you hang more weight from a vibration source, especially something shaped like a hoop, it can have a harmonic frequency that can exacerbate the feeling of vibration. On the other hand, if designed properly, it can also cancel vibration.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
How were the new tires balanced?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts