StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Since the snow has finally melted, I stopped by a local dealer today. I expected to only sit on some bikes, but instead, I ended up taking two test rides. The first was on a yellow '99 Tiger, the second was on a black '07 VFR. The Tiger was a lot of fun, peppy, but the engine needed to be tuned (surging). The VFR... oh man, where do I start? Coming from a cruiser, it was un-freakin'-believable. I loved the power, the handling, the brakes, everything except for the sporty seating position. My wrists started to hurt a bit, since I'm not used to riding bent over like that.

I have yet to take a test ride on a DL650, as there are no used ones around here. I have my deposit down on an '08 with ABS, but now I'm a bit torn. I would like to hear from previous or current VFR owners... does the Wee compare in power, handling and breaking to the Honda? I realize they're different bikes, for different purposes, and I plan on riding the DL before I actually buy it, but what can I expect?

I know everything is very subjective, but I hope I can get some useful feedback :)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
No, they don't compare. I have both sitting side by side in my basement. The VFR has more power (110hp vs. 66 hp), a lower center of gravity, larger tires, larger brakes, etc. It's pretty obvious which one is faster and handles better.

The V-Strom, on the other hand, enters corners easier and is a bit more stable at slower speeds. The windscreen on the V-Strom is much, much more effective than the one on the VFR. I have a ZG Sport Touring screen on my VFR and still get far more wind than I do on the V-Strom. The more upright seating position is more comfortable in the long run as well. I've done a 350 mile day on the VFR and a 475 mile day on the V-Strom. I could have done more on either one, but as far as feeling "Tired" those two distances were comparable.

Your call. I enjoy them both for different reasons and I'm keeping both of them. Both of them are virtually maintenance free (change the oil, clean and lube the chain, and ride them) so you couldn't go wrong with either one.

These are, of course, my own personal impressions. There will be those who disagree and their opinions are just as valid as mine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have both bikes as well and I see them as a perfect complement to each other. I agree with the comments above.

I bought my VFR in 99 to get something I could spend the whole day on vs. my CBR600. For me, a good day on it is 350 miles. I bought the Wee last year because I want to take some longer trips and wanted something I could spend a whole week on. The power of the Wee is not even comparable to the VFR.

For me what determines which bike rolls out of the garage is my frame of mind. When I'm on the VFR I ride much quicker, which is far less relaxing, but more exhilarating. When I want a nice, moderately paced ride, I go for the Wee. I think you need to decide how spirited you want to be when you ride. I think my growing instinct for self preservation lead me to buy the Wee.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for all the replies so far, they're much appreciated. Up until today, I didn't think I wanted a fast bike. Granted, I've never ridden one, but my common sense and preservation instinct have always told me that fast means dead. But today, I felt power, speed and handling that just made me grin from ear to ear and feel alive. I knew I shouldn't have ridden that bike :rolleyes:

I already have a slow, heavy cruiser, for the scenic 2-up rides. I want a capable commuter that's also a fun bike. I'm positive that the Wee would (will?) be great for me, I just tasted power in the VFR that I suddenly want. I worry about buyer's regret if the DL doesn't put the same kind of grin on my face, you know what I mean?

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
The DL may not put the same kind of grin on your face, but it will put a grin there.

Someone asked me a couple of weeks ago whether I rode my V-Strom or VFR more. I realized that I honestly didn't know, but luckily I keep track of gas and could figure it out pretty easily. As of February 4 I have put 3,714 miles on my V-Strom and 3,685 miles on my VFR since August. They only have 30 miles difference. I couldn't tell you which I prefer, and as Shaun said I just decide which one to ride depending on how I feel and where I'm going.

A VFR isn't a CBR or a GSX/R or a Ninja but it does get up and go pretty well. The V-Strom will go places a VFR would fear to tread. They are different yet complement each other quite well. I can't tell you which you would like better, that's something only you can decide, but I can say that either one would be a good choice.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need to take a Wee for a test ride, that's the only way I'll answer these questions. When I write out my new bike needs on paper, "dirt abilities" are definitely on there. Yeah, it'd be great to twist the throttle on the highway and hang on for dear life, but I live out in the boonies... I want to explore some of these less-than-perfect roads... which is why the Wee seems so very right.

Maybe I should sell some blood and get both :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I have seen a couple of VFR's with bar risers, custom seats and bags, obviously set up for the long haul.
Have always loved the look and briefly considered one before I bought the Wee.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Awhile back when I was thinking about selling my DL1000 (in excellent tune), I was debating a VFR800 so I went and switched bikes with someone for a ride. What stands out: they are vastly different bikes but both very capable. My V-Strom 1000 had more power out of the hole but man the top end on the VFR is good. 80-100+ and hold on! The ergonomics on the VFR were not nearly as comfortable for me, but to many it is great and it can be made better. The VFR has superior brakes and high-speed stability, but the V-Strom turns in quicker and is more "flickable." Now that I have the V-Strom 650 I would say the difference in power is even more pronounced when compared to the VFR. However, I am satisfied with the 650's power. And look, it was enough to sway me to another V-Strom over the VFR. Though you get more wind on the VFR, I thought its wind management was great - better than the V-Strom because it's all very smooth, clean air. If I had my druthers, I would buy both.

How about selling the cruiser and picking up the VFR and the V-Strom? If you can test ride both, I would highly recommend it. BTW, offroad I find the 650 a bit more friendly than the 1000 because the 1000 has so much torque it just breaks loose.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a 2007 Silver VFR. I put removable saddlebag mounts on it that would hold Givi E41's. I bought it to tour with. It was not comfortable enough for me on the long hauls though...even with the bar risers that I installed. The VFR is an incredible bike. It was a hard decision to sell it, but I don't let things sit in the garage to get dusty.

I sold the VFR and bought a 2007 WeeStrom. I have over 12,000 very comfortable miles on my blue Wee. 1,500 of those miles were an IronButt BunBurner ride (1,500 miles in 36 hours). I'm planning an IBA BBGold (1,500 miles in 24 hours) for sometime in the next month.

I've owned cruisers, sport bikes, KLR's, sport touring bikes, and now the Wee. The Wee is far and away the most comfortable bike I've owned. Plus, it's a blast to farkle the Wee...there is a ton of aftermarket stuff available...the bike is easy to tinker with.

I loved all of the bikes I've owned. My older bones are very happy with the Wee at this point in my riding career.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Selling the cruiser isn't really an option for me right now. My woman refuses to get on the back of any "sporty bike", but she really loves her seat and back rest on the cruiser. So, I'm keeping it for our weekend, relaxed, leisurely rides.

What's pretty funny is that I've had my VTX for almost 2 years now. But yesterday, after spending 20 minutes on the VFR, I got on the cruiser and couldn't find the foot pegs! They were way more forward than I remembered. Not only that, the complete lack of power (in comparison) was almost depressing. If it's 2 years later, is it still called buyer's remorse? ;)

I'm going to talk to my dealer to see if I can test ride a Wee, as soon as possible. I truly hope that I'll like it as much as I think I will, since the VFR is stuck in my head now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had an old 86 VFR first bike

I just starting riding last year. my bike was an 86 VFR750. and I took it on a 3000+mile trip out west. I had to stop every 1.5 hours because I was not uncomfortable but in pain. I have no joint problems and I am 32 yrs old, but I felt 100 years old and arthritic after an hour. Could have been fixed with bar risers and different seat moving the pegs etc. Even my old VFR had a lot more power and torque than my wee. But I am not a speedster I just want enough to get me out of trouble when I need it. I love the wee for my trips to visit family which is usually over 3 hours away. I can comforatbly ride for hours with the stock seat and the factory seat position. Its awesome. But it was difficult for me to sell the old VFR because it was fun in different ways. I would like to have both. Damn guess that doesn't help you much :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Selling the cruiser isn't really an option for me right now. My woman refuses to get on the back of any "sporty bike", but she really loves her seat and back rest on the cruiser. So, I'm keeping it for our weekend, relaxed, leisurely rides.

What's pretty funny is that I've had my VTX for almost 2 years now. But yesterday, after spending 20 minutes on the VFR, I got on the cruiser and couldn't find the foot pegs! They were way more forward than I remembered. Not only that, the complete lack of power (in comparison) was almost depressing. If it's 2 years later, is it still called buyer's remorse? ;)

I'm going to talk to my dealer to see if I can test ride a Wee, as soon as possible. I truly hope that I'll like it as much as I think I will, since the VFR is stuck in my head now.
Buy the VFR, sell the cruiser, use the money to buy a Wee with a corbin seat and a givi trunk with backrest for the missus.

·
Banned
593 Posts
I've had VFR lust for a long time now too. I've had all the other Honda V4's- a Magna and an ST-1100, but never a VFR. It sound like exactly the bike I find myself wanting... about 110hp, and sporty, but not a crazy riding position. I'm tall with long legs, so my options are limited when it comes to sporty bikes.
I guess what I'm trying to get around to telling you is that I plan on keeping the WeeStrom, even though I could sell it and get the bike I lust after. I plan to get something sporty to complement it in a few years, but I don't see myself commuting on anything other than the Strom... it's just an excellent all-arounder. It can cruise, it can do twisties and is plenty fun, and it can do light off road. What more could you want in a bike?
I like Khager's idea. If the missus doesn't like it, she can always stay home, right?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Get a used one

Those of you with VFR lust might want to consider a used 98-01 bike. The current bike with v-tec is not considered to be an improvement by many VFR riders. Other then the regulator/rectifier problems, I would say these bikes are bulletproof.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a '97 VFR. It's a great bike. Soon, a DL650 will be joining it. If I find that I'm not riding the VFR a lot, I'll sell it. I'm open to the possibility that the V-Strom is the only bike I really need. Time will tell, though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Those of you with VFR lust might want to consider a used 98-01 bike. The current bike with v-tec is not considered to be an improvement by many VFR riders. Other then the regulator/rectifier problems, I would say these bikes are bulletproof.
The previous generation (94-97) is no slouch, either. I've ridden the 800 and my 750... I actually prefer the '97. The carberuation is extremely smooth, whereas I found the 800's fuel injection to be very on/off and jerky. The little bit of extra weight doesn't really bother me, and I don't miss the 15 or so horsepower that the 750 gives up to the 800. Plus the 750 has lightly higher handlebars.

The best part is that VFR750s can be had for around $3K these days, which is an exceptional value. I wasn't even shopping for a VFR when I bought mine, but the price was too good to pass up.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is a very good point, and many motorcycle magazines have said the same. What really sways me towards the 98-01 over 02+ is the complication of a valve adjustment on the VTEC bikes. No thank you. FWIW, I have seen several nice VFR 800's go for around $4K with not many miles. I know of one for sale by a friend in fact that is very nicely cared for that he has expressed selling for around $4k.

I agree, sell the cruiser and let the missus ride on the V-Strom. It has a lot of room for a passenger and with a decent trunk, provides a good backrest.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I owned a '99 VFR800 and loved it--the power, handling, stability and man, what a thrilling ride. However my wrists couldn't take the riding position with the weight put on them, and my right arm would fall asleep very quickly. So I sold it and went back to a Gold Wing. I still have a Wing, but my fun ride is my '07 Wee!

It's pretty hard to compare the Wee to the VFR as they are two completely different motorcycles. Yet I love the 650 VStrom. The power is satisfying and the comfort superb. High power is great, but the only thing it really does is get you into "go to jail" territory faster than a lower powered bike. And no one really rides at those elevated speeds anyway. It's fun to do that just to see what it'll do, but that's not "real world" motorcycling. I loved the VFR for as long as I had it, but I wouldn't go back. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all of the feedback! I've been weighing my options and trying to figure out what I want to do. Unless the test ride of the Wee is disappointing, I'll be listing "'08 DL650A, flat black" in my signature soon enough. I still love the idea of the VFR, but I have enough speeding tickets and shoulder problems, I need something comfortable, safe and I'm sure the little 650 will put out enough power to keep me happy.

I actually had a discussion with an online friend of mine about the Wee. He's pretty much against the idea of me buying it, for various reasons. He claims that for $8000, I'm getting old technology and bargain basement parts. The non-inverted fork and crappy suspension, the cable clutch, the below average trim, and the small, "boring" 650 engine. He keeps trying to sway me towards an R1200GS, the Caponord, any Ducati and even some of the Japanese liter bikes. He says that spending $8K on a bike I need to upgrade to fit my needs is stupid, and that I should spend $12K on a bike that's great out of the box. I can't seem to convince him that the Strom is a good-at-most-things, all-around solid bike at a great price. Sure, it's not great at anything, and yeah, some of the components are old technology and need to be upgraded, but then why do so many people buy and love them? He says that people who can't afford a better bike, go for the Strom. I disagree, and so we continue bickering. It's a bit hard defending a bike you don't even own yet, but I find myself doing it nonetheless. ;)

Now, if Suzuki would just get my freakin' DL to the dealer, this whole discussion could be put to rest :cool:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts